Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2552 2553 [2554] 2555 2556 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427003 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #38295 on: October 10, 2011, 09:53:42 pm »

Today was very ironic. Apparently I should be ingesting about four times the average human's intake of iron right now, and my primary source is a horrific fluid comprised of various liquefied herbs, spices, and nails. It tastes like nails.

Dude, seriously. Watermelon is a fantastic source of Iron. Spinach is good too. Substituting Spinach leaves for lettuce on sandwiches or in salads, or going through a bowl of cubed watermelon should do wonders for your iron intake.

Also, if you ingest too much at once (IE via supplements), your body has a hard time absorbing it all. You're better off increasing it over many meals than ingesting it all at once.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38296 on: October 10, 2011, 09:55:21 pm »

That's seriously true of any mineral. One of my grandmothers had massive calcium deposits from years of supplements.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38297 on: October 10, 2011, 09:56:16 pm »

My parents are forcing requesting me to do a drawing. I'm in a beginner art class right now, and because I now know the basics of drawing they think I'm pretty good at it.

The sad part is they're asking me to draw on another piece of art, by a real artist. It's a stylized rendition of my nephew's name, who's turning 1 soon. I'm terrified of adding some embellishment to this thing because I'll most likely ruin it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38298 on: October 10, 2011, 09:57:43 pm »

Well, state your apprehensions, and suggest that if they have their hearts set on it, you could try it when you felt more confident in your skills.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38299 on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »

Unfortunately I can't find much watermelon in these parts at this time of year, but I have been eating tons of spinach. It is spaced throughout the day pretty well.

Instead of the normal 11mg/day for men in my age bracket, I am currently at about 40-50. This is what I get for running nonstop for four years, I guess.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38300 on: October 10, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »

Red meat, prepared with something high in Vitamin C is likely to improve your uptake to an optimal level. I suggested heart because it's about as red as meat comes, although liver is better (but less palatable, IMO). Looks like the Vitamin C source should not be thoroughly cooked. Although, you're probably drinking something obnoxiously high in iron already, I'm just not sure how bioavailable it is (plant sources tend to be less effective, and some research elsewhere suggests it's easier to interfere with plant sources).

All of this is from like 10 minutes work with google and memories of classes, though, so trust any nutritionists before me, obviously. If the mixture you're drinking has been recommended to you by a professional it's all but certain to be more effective than anything I can come up with.

That's a lot of iron, by the way! I actually do hope you're taking care there (by which I mean, that all this is on doctor's orders or something and my suggestions are therefore actually completely redundant). Your body has basically no way of dealing with iron overdose. Probably something you've already been sure to take care for, though. Unless you are some kind of awesome mutant. Are you Magneto?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38301 on: October 10, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »

I think the guy sitting across from me on the bus ride home was beating off.

Oh, and I'm not going to be able to sleep for a long time, because MATH.  I'm so tired.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #38302 on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

Well, I guess thats one way to save an entire area of the bus to yourself...
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38303 on: October 10, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »

Well, I guess thats one way to save an entire area of the bus to yourself...

Yup.

I'm really stressed.  I feel pretty ungood.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38304 on: October 11, 2011, 12:27:44 am »

I went to bed early because I was feeling tired. Fell asleep, then gradually realized I was no longer dreaming and just laying awake thinking with my eyes closed.
Kind of an odd way to wake up, and now sleep refuses to return to me. Le sigh.

Must be the full moon. A lot of my restless nights seem to happen on the full moon. On the upside I just watched a raccoon snuffle around the garden from vantage of my bedroom. He's kind of a cute li'l feller, I know people have said raccoons are dangerous, but this one seems sort of peaceful. I've seen it hanging around with the cat and while the cat was very curious, he just didn't seem to mind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38305 on: October 11, 2011, 01:32:16 am »

Today was very ironic. Apparently I should be ingesting about four times the average human's intake of iron right now, and my primary source is a horrific fluid comprised of various liquefied herbs, spices, and nails. It tastes like nails.

Shouldn't you have been given supplements, then? Instead of horrible fluids, I mean
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38306 on: October 11, 2011, 02:53:53 am »

I always had a generally positive view of people in general but for the last five years at work I keep hearing racist and sexist comments that are putting a strain on this.

Getting stupid paranoia at work over a perceived lack of work on my part. I always think I'm running late or letting everyone down but the bosses say I'm doing fine. I don't know what's wrong with me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38307 on: October 11, 2011, 02:59:49 am »

no
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:57:58 am by Reudh »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38308 on: October 11, 2011, 03:20:15 am »

I realised I had another two hours before I go. I still can't make my mind up. There is no smiley that is enough repressed angsty panic.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38309 on: October 11, 2011, 06:23:07 am »

Just noticed that Bohandas got slapped with a mute. Infinitely better than the banhammer, but still....:(

EDIT: Also, I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. I have got to start getting more than ~4 hours of sleep a night. Especially with the weather turning colder and wet, my base instinct is to curl into a ball and burrow down further under the covers.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:31:39 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2552 2553 [2554] 2555 2556 ... 8167