Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2450 2451 [2452] 2453 2454 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446534 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36765 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:54 am »

In Soviet Russia, candy......yeah, I got nothing.  :-\

Playing my hand at being a single parent for a few days. This would kill me if it went on for any extended period of time.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #36766 on: September 12, 2011, 12:46:02 pm »

Ugh.  My beloved years-old desktop PC went out with a whine.  It started with going in and out of standby randomly.  Then you had to break the power just to get it to stop going in and out of standby.  Then it started turning on and off randomly.  Then it would try booting up and quit after a few seconds.  Now it won't even try to turn on.  :(
Farewell, my beloved PC, not to mention my music library, games, files, and photos...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36767 on: September 12, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »

It probably just needs a new power supply or a new motherboard. Hard rive faliures rarly cause that.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36768 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:03 pm »

HD is probably still fine. just get an external HD case for it or stuff it into another PC.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36769 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:44 pm »

The files can probably be recovered! Just save the hard drive and plug it into whatever new computer you get, remembering not to boot from it in case the problem was software-related. You should be able navigate it in your new OS, unless the old partition was encrypted, I think.

So many ninjas here, we're probably all offering useless advice due to the Conservation of Ninjutsu.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #36770 on: September 12, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »

With two ninjas each of your posts is only one third as helpful!  I'm glad there wasn't an army.
Yeah I know my hard drive can be salvaged, it's just my mom's as much as told me she's not going to be getting a new desktop computer, so I'll pretty much have to wait til I get a job and can afford a new PC for myself to recover my stuff.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36771 on: September 12, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »

Get a trash-can special.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36772 on: September 12, 2011, 01:32:24 pm »

I know the feeling of not belonging anywhere too well.
And on the internet it's kinda like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's... kind of sad.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36773 on: September 12, 2011, 01:37:08 pm »

Get a trash-can special.
More truth to this than you might realize.

About 4 years ago my computer went kablooie and I wasn't able to get a new one for about a month. In the meantime, I used an ancient... thing from the attic. It ran windows 95. I was able to play neverwinter nights 1 on it on low settings. Couldn't get internet though without a network card, heh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36774 on: September 12, 2011, 02:08:08 pm »

I'm just so tired all of the time now, it feels like my life is entering a slow but still descending spiral.
I hope things change..
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36775 on: September 12, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:30:54 am by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36776 on: September 12, 2011, 03:03:36 pm »

Get a trash-can special.

About 4 years ago my computer went kablooie and I wasn't able to get a new one for about a month. In the meantime, I used an ancient... thing from the attic. It ran windows 95. I was able to play neverwinter nights 1 on it on low settings. Couldn't get internet though without a network card, heh.

If I'm ever in a spot without a computer, my Grandpa has an Apple II that still works fine... He uses it to type up...stuff.  :o

On the sadness: General apathy and mild self disgust, no people I can relate to where I am, and I'm starting to sleep for longer and longer, to the point where I'm lying in bed at one or two in the afternoon without the motivation to get up, even with classes that day. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when winter rolls around and I'm shut in even more, in full depression-weather. Apart from that, I don't have anything I care about enough to make a career of. Hell, even the things I enjoy are starting to seem pointless, and I tend to find myself hovering around trying to muster up the energy to do anything at all apart from sitting staring at the wall. At least when I had a job I had something that I could consider to be a useful purpose.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36777 on: September 12, 2011, 03:08:36 pm »

There's a fellow student I know from High School that's at my campus.  The problem?  He was kicked out sophomore year and I hate him.  Every time I (always) abruptly run into him I turn my face and walk away quickly.  I have no idea if he recognizes me but I'm taking no chances.  Worst would be if he tries to speak to me.  Hopefully he understands I don't want to talk to him so he'll stay quiet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36778 on: September 12, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »

Get a trash-can special.

Half the computers I ever owned were made of scavanged parts. I still have one of them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36779 on: September 12, 2011, 03:45:37 pm »

Get a trash-can special.

Half the computers I ever owned were made of scavanged parts. I still have one of them.
My current computer case is from two decades ago. I still have memory sticks with 128 Mb of RAM.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 2450 2451 [2452] 2453 2454 ... 8167