Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2199 2200 [2201] 2202 2203 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9460111 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #33000 on: July 15, 2011, 11:56:16 pm »

I'm sure if I lived at my Dad's house I wouldn't have any problems at all...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33001 on: July 15, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »

Adventure dads are great, so long as they understand their/your limits.  Best memories with my dad have been doing adventurous things... including shooting a crossbow!  Which I actually have his brother to thank for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33002 on: July 16, 2011, 12:08:04 am »

My cat's really jumpy and appears to be scared today. I think he has been in a fight.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33003 on: July 16, 2011, 07:38:54 am »

Bought Borderlands GOTY edition because a couple of friends have been bugging me to join them for months now. Finally jumped on it the other day when Steam had it for 75% off. Got it all downloaded and installed....and said friends have been nowhere to be found online ever since. Not that I'm not enjoying the single-player mode, but yeah. This isn't the first time that I've bought a game with an eye towards some fun multi-player coop, only for my friends to flake out and leave me playing solo. At least this one doesn't have a monthly charge.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33004 on: July 16, 2011, 08:52:38 am »

In the end my Dad gets off with a $90 trespassing ticketk.
They can charge you for trespassing? I don't know why but I had always assumed things like trespass laws would be more lenient in the land of the free. In the UK trespass is a civil offence but the police will still remove you from the premises on suspicion of other foul play, though, if you're found with tools things get more serious. Urban exploration must be very different over there.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #33005 on: July 16, 2011, 08:55:11 am »

It depends where you're trespassing. Government land is usually more strict. With private land, they can choose to prosecute you or not. Then again, if they have adequate warning signs, they can just shoot intruders. Then again, I live in an extremely rural area.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33006 on: July 16, 2011, 09:29:10 am »

Yeah my Dad lives in the sticks.  The officer must have been very lonely Friday night.  Anyway, my Dad was fortunate they just gave the trespassing ticket.  They could have towed my Dad's truck if they so wanted to.  Besides the like $600 in fines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33007 on: July 16, 2011, 09:40:02 am »

Slept trough the visiting times, fuck
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33008 on: July 16, 2011, 09:50:30 am »

In the end my Dad gets off with a $90 trespassing ticketk.
They can charge you for trespassing? I don't know why but I had always assumed things like trespass laws would be more lenient in the land of the free. In the UK trespass is a civil offence but the police will still remove you from the premises on suspicion of other foul play, though, if you're found with tools things get more serious. Urban exploration must be very different over there.
They don't charge you?

I think you can get arrested for it here, but usually the cops are pretty light for minor offenses like that. Of course every station has that one cop...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33009 on: July 16, 2011, 10:10:22 am »

They don't charge you?

I think you can get arrested for it here, but usually the cops are pretty light for minor offenses like that. Of course every station has that one cop...
Nope, as I said it's a civil matter (part of tort law) between you and the land owner unless you've broken other laws while on their land*. The police will arrest you under suspicion of other crimes just to remove you but really it's nothing to do with them. The land owner can sue you but unless you did harm that won't go anywhere. They can also get a removal order from the courts.

In Scotland you even have the right to roam in the country side and a limited version of the same in the UK.

*Aggravated trespass is where you try and disrupt a lawful activity, criminal trespass is on MOD; railway; power station; and similar land, burglary is trespass with intent to steal, theft is stealing anything while there regardless of intent, breaching the peace can mean lots of things.

Edit: I only know this because I've got a group of friends who are into urban exploration. Mostly so that they can take photos of decaying derelict buildings. It surprised me how beautiful I've found such photos but I suppose they demonstrate how things change in a striking way.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:17:37 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33010 on: July 16, 2011, 10:44:51 am »

In Scotland you even have the right to roam in the country side and a limited version of the same in the UK.
We have the same kind of law here in Sweden too, it's called the "All Man's Right" and enables us to go anywhere in nature, pick anything, and do whatever you want as long as it is otherwise legal, unless there is some special circumstance for that area (like preservates and military areas and such). Not fish and hunt, though, the latter because of obvious risks and the first because people are idiots and don't realise you deplete the population if you overfish. A lot of places are still legal to fish in however, just not wherever.

Can't camp in peoples gardens however, unfortunately.  :(
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33011 on: July 16, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »

An unintended consequence happened today.  Or perhaps last night.

*sigh*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33012 on: July 16, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »

This was supposed to be a pretty good day.  My dad was coming over to (try to) teach me some guitar, go see a movie, drink some booze.  Just a lazy Saturday with dad.

Found out yesterday that his father isn't doing so well.  I've probably only seen the guy a dozen or two times in my life, and dad isn't that crazy about him, but he is my grandfather.  He's been pretty sick recently with a thyroid infection, then he wound up having a heart attack during a routine operation.  They said if he hadn't been in a hospital when it happened, he probably wouldn't have made it.  Dad's still coming over, and we'll go see him since his hospital is just across town; when he called this morning, neither he or my aunt sounded at all upset, so I guess granddad's "alright", since he was supposed to be going home today.

Which just serves to remind me of my other grandfathers.  Yes, plural.  My mother's father hasn't visited her of his own accord since before I was born, but finally decided to just recently, since liver cancer probably won't give him much longer.  I don't think I've ever actually met him, and I don't know anything about him, but he's heard all about me apparently.

And meanwhile, the guy who's been married to my maternal grandmother this whole time (I've never actually called him a grandfather, or "step grandfather" or anything, but he may as well be, and everyone loves him), just turned 70 last weekend.  I was supposed to go and visit like most of the family did, but playing Dark Heresy by Skype was more important.  I promised him over the phone that I'd come in the morning and overslept.  My mother covered for me, as she always does, since they all know I work nights and everything, but it doesn't keep me from feeling useless and terrible that my mother has to excuse me from promises to my relatives.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33013 on: July 16, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »

Gog you should see my great grandfather, the dude is crazy.  His wife left him when he was like 85 and he's still kicking it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33014 on: July 16, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »

Huh, another ban.
Well, people got banned for less here...

Not sad for that guy specifically, but some others, which this incident reminded me of.
Pages: 1 ... 2199 2200 [2201] 2202 2203 ... 8167