Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2177 2178 [2179] 2180 2181 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453421 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32670 on: July 09, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »

I understood it perfectly well, but I think the moment when someone is coming out of the closet is not the most ideal one to make well-intended gay jokes.

That may just be me, however.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32671 on: July 09, 2011, 02:35:27 pm »

It all depends on the person in question.
You can never really be sure.

Meanwhile, I have a headache.
On the plus side, there's ibuprofen here. :D

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32672 on: July 09, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »

I understood it perfectly well, but I think the moment when someone is coming out of the closet is not the most ideal one to make well-intended gay jokes.

It's downright funny now when my friends rage and go "dang it this is so GAY" then realize I'm there and apologize, although I'm laughing right with them.  I'm not bothered by it.  Now if someone were to scream "GAY FAG" in my face, then I'd probably be offended.  After laughing.  Maybe I'm just too much of an easygoing person.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32673 on: July 09, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »

It's almost 2 months since Hugehead's last post :( he's inactive everywhere, on steam, and the forum.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32674 on: July 09, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »

*shrug*

Sorry.  I guess I'm a bit overly sensitive due to my other experiences--not the one where I came out for being gay, because I'm not, but the way people usually treat me when they find out that I'm on the autism spectrum.  Of course, they can usually guess for obvious reasons >_>

Bleh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32675 on: July 09, 2011, 03:18:07 pm »

It's downright funny now when my friends rage and go "dang it this is so GAY" then realize I'm there and apologize, although I'm laughing right with them.  I'm not bothered by it.  Now if someone were to scream "GAY FAG" in my face, then I'd probably be offended.  After laughing.  Maybe I'm just too much of an easygoing person.

see, i wouldn't do that, i think it is of bad taste to use the word that way, it perpetuates a derrogatory meaning that the word gay should be losing. that doesn't make your friends bad people, but it makes them people with a bad habit.

i see what you mean, i know how it feels to have someone making light of something that we feel is a very serious issue, but my intention was to send the message that being gay was not a big deal around here, that tyg shouldn't worry about being ostracized in this community, and i thought a joke would get that message across best

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32676 on: July 09, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »

Okay, well--thank you for making that clear, then =)  If he has a different opinion, I'm sure he can come by and let us know.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32677 on: July 09, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »

You guys all make me feel so unwelcome  ;D

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32678 on: July 09, 2011, 04:01:55 pm »

If I may, you could take my approach. I came out as bi at 15, and whoever had a problem with it got their asses kicked. Dohohoho, if only. No, I keed. More often, I'd finish talking to an intolerant person with something like "and if you don't like it, to hell with you. I'd say, 'Fuck you,' but apparently that doesn't apply in this case."

Humor usually works. If not, violence does. :P

Okay, so, sad of the day: Wife fell, we thought she broke her ankle. Turns out it was a sprain, but a really freaking bad one. 3+ weeks for total recovery.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:12:33 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32679 on: July 09, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »

This doesn't work.  Trust me.  Nothing but "I am presently fucking a guy--that one" works with good accuracy.

That said, I have never said "I am presently fucking that gentlemen," but I assume it works better than saying "no, I'm not a lesbian" when people ask.

My experience as well.  People thought I was gay for years, because I never had a girlfriend.  This was because I was the outcast in the community and found dating at that age to be pointless.  People actually tried to set me up with girlfriends just to give me an opportunity to prove it, but I found the notion offensive and just got angry whenever people tried this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32680 on: July 09, 2011, 05:08:30 pm »

Well it seems that my ignorance of social situations betrays itself.

I can only suppose that you found it necessary to interact with these people to achieve your goals, as I find it difficult to imagine myself spending time with such people.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32681 on: July 09, 2011, 07:23:47 pm »

I can only suppose that you found it necessary to interact with these people to achieve your goals, as I find it difficult to imagine myself spending time with such people.

I was tutoring a girl who lived in a trailer park, who wanted to become a lawyer to help out Hispanic people, who had almost no money, who was in a remedial academic program.

Not really hard for me to imagine.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32682 on: July 09, 2011, 09:09:43 pm »

Yay for relationship Beards! I sort of feel bad about dating, because I'm not really interested or serious, but it's either string along some girl or get slammed with assumptions and homophobia.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32683 on: July 09, 2011, 09:27:07 pm »

Yay for relationship Beards! I sort of feel bad about dating, because I'm not really interested or serious, but it's either string along some girl or get slammed with assumptions and homophobia.

If you have a girl you trust as a great friend around, fully informed "beards" are tons of fun. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32684 on: July 09, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »

So is it just me, or does Bay12 have a pretty sizable LGBT membership? I didn't notice it until recently, but there's definitely a number of us.
Pages: 1 ... 2177 2178 [2179] 2180 2181 ... 8167