Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2144 2145 [2146] 2147 2148 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434024 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #32175 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:37 am »

Bleh.. still feeling like absolute crap, today's going to be fun.
*Hugs*

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32176 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:13 am »

@Vector
From the sound of it, the problem is that you know who you are, and she only knows who she's trying to be. Unfortunately, trying to be someone like that often involves trying to force changes for no reason other than to fit your life into a 2D image of who a person is; everything gets analyzed in terms of helping meet that archetype, and anything that doesn't... gets dismissed. It may well not be that she thinks you reflect badly on her; it may just be that you're not a part of the life she is chasing. I hope that she realizes that people being unique (since that seems to be a thing she thinks is important) tends to mean not being unique in all the same ways. Dress oddly, normally, or whatever happy medium makes you feel like you; be you in whatever ways that matter. To do otherwise, whether to conform utterly with society for the sake of fitting in or to rebel against it for the sake of fitting in with others who rebel, is to let yourself be ruled by pretty much everyone else, and I hope Thyme recognizes how very nearly identical those courses are.

Disclaimer: The above seems to me as if it misses, slightly, the actual problems you have but I can't quite figure out how to grasp exactly what you're getting at, only that I think I've only superficially addressed anything. That said, I hope that the intent helps, even if the execution is a bit lacking. Particularly since I doubt any of it hasn't occurred to you already.

@Truean
Hate may not be all of it. They're grossly misrepresenting history and trying to make a profit (in dues) off of your work and your name. Being a little vindictive about exploitation like that is a pretty reasonable response, and giving them the option of quitting in advance before you hurt them is a kindness.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32177 on: June 30, 2011, 08:25:55 am »

You need the right kind of screen to preserve the 3d effect.
And you can't build colonies in hell. Oh wait.

Seriously, they'll find a way. Internet people are resourseful in ways I would not think possible to avoid actually paying for things.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32178 on: June 30, 2011, 08:29:56 am »

... wait, does the 3DS even work on an emulator?
There actually isn't a 3DS emulator, to my knowledge. There probably will be in the next 2 or three months.

Ugh. I keep on spelling shit wrong. For example, I'll probably spell "Denial of Life" as "Denial of File".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:33:29 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32179 on: June 30, 2011, 09:27:54 am »

My computer is having issues, big issues.  It's graphics driver keeps crashing over and over.  The computer will run in safe mode, but anything more than that makes the screen go black, green, blue, brown, and even orange on occasion.  Trying to play League of Legends instantly crashes it.  It's probably doing this because I updated the driver, although it was having that issue before.  Gonna try dusting out the tower, maybe that will help.  Otherwise, it's off to the computer repair shop ._.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32180 on: June 30, 2011, 02:32:29 pm »

*sigh*

Well, thanks for the advice, guys.  I think I'm going to just go into our yearly meeting with an open mind and hope she doesn't do the usual "I have sooo many friends and a BOYFRIEND and we are all GENIUSES who dress in CUTE FRILLY CLOTHES and are MATERIALISTS who BUY EVERYTHING WE WANT NEW and go to a PRIVATE SCHOOL" thing.

The problem with extending one's idea of what one thinks best for oneself to embracing other such people with the same fervor is that there tends to be a strong whiff of exclusionary principles inherent in such an opinion.

I don't want to dress in frilly clothing, I just want people to stop auditing my choice >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32181 on: June 30, 2011, 02:45:22 pm »

I don't want to dress in frilly clothing, I just want people to stop auditing my choice >_>

Not gonna happen. You could just as well ask they grow wings.

Just like most of asocial person, you put way too much importance in the way people see you.
You won't have what you want, the second best thing you can have is deciding that your choices are good and stop caring about what they think.

Just decide that you're right and keep at it.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32182 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »

My suggestion: Go into the meeting with a math book. When they start on about CUTE FRILLY CLOTHES and MATERIALISM and whatnot, bury your nose in the book. If they call attention to you, respond with something like, "I don't have time for all that crap, I'm busy," and go back to your book.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32183 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:59 pm »

Just to chime in, I think there's a slight maturity disparity between you and her; you might be feeling the weight of reason and personal responsibility, as compared to her general lack thereof. I don't mean this to be judgemental; I just think Thyme adopted her pointedly outlandish and quirky persona as a low-maintenance way of interacting with others, which doesn't require a great deal of rational, and lets her avoid personal responsibility, and ownership of her behaviors. It's much easier, and I imagine striving for Difference probably makes her feel special and wanted.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32184 on: June 30, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »

Well my cousin's been arrested for rape it seems.... Naturally, those same relatives who treated me like shit for years have come to me for help, knowing I'm in no position to help him currently. Especially since if I know him (I do) and if the girl is who I think it is, he probably did it.... Naturally, I'm a bastard for refusing. How the hell am I from this gene pool? *sigh*

I fully believe he got her drunk, because you see, the dreaded state of sobriety is a foreign concept to him. He's drunk; she's drunk. That's arguably administering a drug or intoxicant, arguably for the purpose of preventing resistance, but meh. The State will, of course, make that argument and Thank God I don't have to oppose it. Metaphorically, if the girl is who I think it is, she's got a bulletproof smile and no reason to want him and I'm both physically exhausted, as is my supply of hollow points.... Translation, she's believable; he's scum. Yeah, I just meant there's no real defense for him if she says he did it (he probably did), or at least none that I have. Her story is bulletproof and nothing's gonna break her, which is probably good if he did it....

So I have another relative (soon to be in) jail, and somehow I'm getting looked down on for doing jack shit about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtFjKZgjIJ4
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:27:21 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32185 on: June 30, 2011, 03:20:48 pm »

@vector: Ideas for elitist books (great for shutting up wanna-be geniuses).
Always fully read the book before mentioning or pulling it out! Don't try and bluff!
(anyone too busy worrying about frilly clothes isn't keeping up with their reading. And if it ain't goth-lolita style it's just frilly and that ain't cool!)

Least Known or less read(Best)
=======================
Nietcshe - In German if possible for extra cred.
Jean Paul Sartre,
Carl Jung, (I have "the undiscovered self" here, nice, self-important sounding title, though the book itself is quite short)
Karl Popper etc
Roger Penrose - The Emperor's New Mind
Joseph Campbell - The Hero with 1000 Faces - great but cryptic.
   also read Christopher Vogler's "The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers" and use it to explain Campbell to your friend.   
   Very few non-writers will have any idea about Voglers book so you'll look extra-smart explaining Joseph Campbell's ideas.
Noam Chomsky - Syntactic Structures (everyone's read his politics stuff, nobody's reads his linguistics books)
Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment (even though he is actual a douchebag. You will want a time machine to punch his nuts off)
Massive Chinese Novels from 1200AD like "Romance of the three kingdoms". Romance apparently means "centuries of bloody warfare"
Classic Anthropology books like Fritz Leiber's "Taboo" and stuff about Claude Lévi-Strauss's theories.

Stuart Isacoff - Temperment (2002) explains the origins of the modern 12-semi-tone octave, and the bizarre maths behind how instruments USED to be tuned. Lots of background on 17th century figures. Recommended read! You'll feel smarter knowing how musical scales are fundamentally "broken" in the modern world.

More Common/Well Known(will work if they have not read them)
===============================================
Douglas Hoffstadter - Godel Escher Bach. very mathsy
Jared Diamond - Guns, Germs and Steel
- Novels by Umberto Eco: Focault's Pendulum, Name of the Rose
Frederick Hayek - The Constitution of Liberty
Sun Tzu - Art Of War, Machiavelli - The Prince, Clausewitz - On War

If you read the above list you'll be back on track to trumpet so-called "genius" to your friend. I'm sure there's more to add.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:58:47 pm by Reelyanoob »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32186 on: June 30, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »

[Stupid double post]

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32187 on: June 30, 2011, 03:32:14 pm »

Well my cousin's been arrested for rape it seems.... Naturally, those same relatives who treated me like shit for years have come to me for help, knowing I'm in no position to help him currently. Especially since if I know him (I do) and if the girl is who I think it is, he probably did it.... Naturally, I'm a bastard for refusing. How the hell am I from this gene pool? *sigh*

Let me guess... it's the same person that rant on the immorality of homosexuals?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32188 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:00 pm »

Let me guess... it's the same person that rant on the immorality of homosexuals?

Of course, but yet still worse because my entire family does that, not just him.... The ranters include but certainly are not limited to him. Rather yes he does but ... I mean it's like ... I'm pretty sure the bullshit has reached a critical mass or something.

"Situational Irony Point Out" points for you though.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:36:45 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32189 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:48 pm »

3DS:  Yeah, I'm pretty sure a special screen is required for the 3d effect... but it can just as easily be played in 2d.  In case you didn't know, the 3DS has a little slider built onto the side of the screen that can adjusts the widening of the polarized images (and thus the depth of the 3d effect) and can be lowered until the images are joined together and it's completely 2d.  I see no reason the games couldn't be emulated.  They'll just have to be played in 2d.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2144 2145 [2146] 2147 2148 ... 8167