Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1743 1744 [1745] 1746 1747 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434464 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #26160 on: April 01, 2011, 05:13:15 pm »

No politics here please.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26161 on: April 01, 2011, 05:21:13 pm »

I think I've developed a stutter. Before I never had one unless I was extremely befuddled and even then it was a single slip of the tongue. It popped up really bad when I had to give the go-ahead to put my dog down, but that was understandable yeah it was a traumatic experience. But now whenever my dad asks/tells/demands/commands(All the same thing really) I do something or say something I stutter heavily. And I fear my dad is not getting that something is wrong from this because he seems to get frustrated when I do that and becomes even more pushy, resulting in my speech getting worse. I understand it must be frustrating for him because he has trouble understanding people as it is, but how emotionally dead do you have to be to not get that being pushy is really digging deep into me?
So many parents seem to be completely self-centered when it comes to their kids. Fully capable of recognising emotions (and emotional consequences to their actionw) and stuff in other people, but not even aware their children is even capable of responding emotionally - especially in a negative way. I'm thinking it has to do with them taking the kids way to much for granted, combined with a feeling of pack!mentality "superiority".

..God, I hope I never grow old to be like that. In any way.

I'm actually crying now. I never cry...
Why are/were you crying?
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26162 on: April 01, 2011, 05:22:13 pm »

Edit: the dreaded double post showed it's face. It's funny, when I first timed out I thought it didn't post, so I rewrote what I said above into what turned out to be a much more levelheaded, realistic and truthful post. Then that wasn't postable, as apparantly I had already posted, so the actually good post was lost. The world really do seem to conspire to make me look foolish. ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:44:59 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26163 on: April 01, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »

Want to fix the medical industry?  Become a fucking doctor.  Oh, and stop suing them for a trillion dollars if they fuck up.  Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes it really sucks when it happens to you, but the suing is ruining everything ever.
The US has 2.3 doctors per 1,000 people, which... isn't great, but isn't horrible either.  The UK and Canada both have fewer, for instance.

EDIT: Actually, more up to date figures shows the UK may have slightly more.  Canada still seems to have fewer, though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:45:24 pm by Leafsnail »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26164 on: April 01, 2011, 06:27:37 pm »

I am an idiot!
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26165 on: April 01, 2011, 06:56:47 pm »

I am an idiot!
A unusually reasonable, intelligent and charming idiot, though.
Love, scriver~

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26166 on: April 01, 2011, 07:00:02 pm »

Reasonable? Charming?
How am I those?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26167 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:43 pm »

It's a hot day and my dog is twitching a lot. She's seems fine and everything, but her eyelids, mouth, and legs are twitching quite a bit. I'm worried. My sister thinking she's having a heat stroke or something. :(
PSUEDOEDIT: She stopped twitching, but she's panting a lot. She's laying down right now and can't really get back up. She threw up twice already. This is a psuedoedit because I had to watch her while I was typing this post.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26168 on: April 01, 2011, 07:30:51 pm »

Reasonable? Charming?
How am I those?

You're reasonable because you make good use of your wits, don't carry dumb prejudices, and because I hardly ever find mysel disagreeing with you. As for charming, I remember when you showed up here, after only a few posts, thinking that that guy seems like a fine fellow, which usually is an assessment that comes slowly to me. And, well, I think you're a genuinely nice person and someone I would enjoy being around in real life. I see you didn't object to being an intelligent idiot, though? :P

Edit: @JackBread- I don't really know if this is good advice or not, but maybe you should give her a cool bath or shower? If she's too hot, that and making sure she has plenty to drink might be all that's needed.. But you probably already new that, Im just rambling a little.. And as I said, I don't really know if it would be bad for her if it's something else.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:39:51 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26169 on: April 01, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »

Yeah, we've been trying to cool her down. She's lying down right now and she's not shaking or panting as much. My sister is by her side.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26170 on: April 01, 2011, 08:06:25 pm »

Being alive and planning the best party that will happen to this middle school, and I get get any girls to go. All the girls I want to go aren't really into parties, and I don't really talk to any other girls or they are emos and I am to fucking classy to deal with them. Someone else who is helping me with this said he'd get some girls from a town over to go, but from the description I have a feeling I wouldn't want to be at my own party if they were there.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26171 on: April 01, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »

So many parents seem to be completely self-centered when it comes to their kids. Fully capable of recognising emotions (and emotional consequences to their actionw) and stuff in other people, but not even aware their children is even capable of responding emotionally - especially in a negative way. I'm thinking it has to do with them taking the kids way to much for granted, combined with a feeling of pack!mentality "superiority".

..God, I hope I never grow old to be like that. In any way.

Some things are inexcusable, but I think every parent finds themselves disproportionately nasty to their kids once in a while in ways they later regret.  I know I do. 

It has to do with the pressures that parenting puts on a person.  Being a parent makes you really busy, while also facing you with decisions that require careful case-by-case consideration.  You often don't have the time necessary to consider your reactions carefully.  It can be frightfully easy to develop bad habits to react harshly, partially just to get control of your kid in the moment quickly and efficiently, even though this is probably harmful in the long run.

This past week is a good example for me.  Everybody except me got sick, and my wife has a really weak/acidic stomach.  Any obrupt movement, bad smells, loud noises (due to headache), etc would make her throw up.  Plus two hospital trips.  So I had to be really strict with the kid's behavior for a few days, at a time when they weren't feeling well and thus more likely to act out.  Towards the end of it, I found myself snapping at them at times when it wasn't necessary.  It wasn't because of stress so much as I'd already developed a habit of quick, harsh reactions.

This doesn't really say anything in defense of duke's parents... just saying... parenting is complex and difficult... a good parent should recognize when they've been harmful, though, and find ways to make it up... though even that can be difficult to do without undermining one's own authority.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26172 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26:59 pm »

My families kinda falling apart.  I hate money problems.  :/

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26173 on: April 01, 2011, 09:36:01 pm »

Haven't had normal milk for a week and a half (just yoghurt), and I'm craving it almost unbearably.  May have to go buy some, because I think this is my body giving me a holler that it's missing something crucial.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26174 on: April 01, 2011, 10:09:29 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:03:06 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 1743 1744 [1745] 1746 1747 ... 8167