Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471460 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #19785 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:29 pm »

Yeah. English and German aren't like Spanish and Portuguese.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #19786 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:16 pm »

Im sorry Vector, but no, you shouldn't theoretically be able to understand German. They're not that close. :P
Really?  See, I find I can easily understand most simple Spanish and Italian (though to be fair I also speak French and studied a very little Spanish), and people keep going on about how similar German is to English and how easy it is to understand even if you've had absolutely no contact with the language.

I officially disagree :I

That's probably because most Romance words were borrowed into English from Norman in around the 1100s whereas Old English and Old High German are usually thought to have branched off around 500 CE. Plus, the Romance words are more learned while the Germanic words are more common and therefore more subject to change. I think the words that retain most similarity between German and English are probably the grammatical items rather than the lexical ones. Prepositions and pronouns and all that. Just because those are less subject to change than other types of words really.

Plus German still has that crazy system of declensions. Personally, I find Romance languages easier to understand too.

There are lots of words that are the same/very close.
Sky (except it's pronounced in a very awkward manner to someone unfamiliar with the language), und, under, litten, etcetera.

Probably a similar case to the Romance languages. We got a bunch of loanwords from Old Norse during the period of the Danelaw.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19787 on: January 09, 2011, 10:12:50 pm »

Im sorry Vector, but no, you shouldn't theoretically be able to understand German. They're not that close. :P
Really?  See, I find I can easily understand most simple Spanish and Italian (though to be fair I also speak French and studied a very little Spanish), and people keep going on about how similar German is to English and how easy it is to understand even if you've had absolutely no contact with the language.

I officially disagree :I

That's probably because most Romance words were borrowed into English from Norman in around the 1100s whereas Old English and Old High German are usually thought to have branched off around 500 CE. Plus, the Romance words are more learned while the Germanic words are more common and therefore more subject to change.

This is actually pretty interesting; since the lower classes spoke Germanic languages, and the higher classes French, words for farm animals tend to be Germanic, since the peasantry dealt with them, but the words for the meat from those animals tend to be Romantic. Etymology is cool.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19788 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:27 pm »

I have to get up in three hours, yet I cannot sleep.
Why brain?
Why?
*Hugs*

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19789 on: January 09, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »

Experimental Hobbit Army was eaten alive by frogs.

Hate the moathouse, so so much.

One of these days, I need to get back to my LP of ToEE. It seemed like a pretty good game.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19790 on: January 09, 2011, 11:23:06 pm »

... Seriously?
Nah, I was being a bit facetious. There are, of course, good pieces of literature to be found here, just as in any other place.

And let me tell you, Lem was my God, when I was a teenager. I've got nearly every book he wrote in my library. Too bad he liked neologisms so much, as finding a translation can be just as much of a pain as writing one.
Of course, as you've noticed, science fiction does not really count as literature.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19791 on: January 09, 2011, 11:29:06 pm »

The nurse that I'm living with taped two of my toes together today. She doesn't think they're broken, but it's a distinct possibility that I have several cracked bones in both of my feet.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19792 on: January 09, 2011, 11:35:28 pm »

The nurse that I'm living with taped two of my toes together today. She doesn't think they're broken, but it's a distinct possibility that I have several cracked bones in both of my feet.
You should probably get a x-ray of your feet, at the very least. Given the complexity of the foot's bone structure, even having a cracked bone there heal incorrectly would likely be very, very bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19793 on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:13 pm »

I am sad about the end of the third Narnia movie. It was pretty good right up until the movie tried to beat me to death with Christianity metaphors for ten minutes. 3.5 stars, I'd say. The effects were pretty good, the story was passable, and the action scenes weren't too long or overly short. The hyper-allegory at the end knocked it down a ways, but the crazy cobra/millipede beast was shocking enough to boost it up another half star.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19794 on: January 09, 2011, 11:52:05 pm »

Isn't beating you to death with Christianity metaphors the point of the book series?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19795 on: January 09, 2011, 11:54:03 pm »

You should probably get a x-ray of your feet, at the very least. Given the complexity of the foot's bone structure, even having a cracked bone there heal incorrectly would likely be very, very bad.

That'd be a wonderful thing, but see, I make too much to get help from the gub'mint, and I can't afford insurance, let alone an out of pocket x-ray. Worst thing is? There's a potential stress fracture in my right (kicking) shin, as well. Stupid brittle bones.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19796 on: January 10, 2011, 12:07:34 am »

Isn't beating you to death with Christianity metaphors the point of the book series?
I wouldn't know, I never read them. I wouldn't have gone to see the movies, either, had I not been going with friends anyway.

Worst thing is? There's a potential stress fracture in my right (kicking) shin, as well.
From what I know of these (A friend of mine got one in his shin last year), you should avoid kicking things with it, running on it, or really anything else with an impact. Stress fractures start small, but they can get nasty. My friend had to stop running for a whole year because he wouldn't stop running on it until the end of the season. (Two weeks from when he first got it.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19797 on: January 10, 2011, 12:11:23 am »

Honestly, it's probably because I'm walking around at 215 on a 140lb-ish frame. Excess weight is never good on the body. That, and, well...I like to kick things.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:14:20 am by MaximumZero »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19798 on: January 10, 2011, 12:13:25 am »

Saw Star Trek: Generations today.  :'(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19799 on: January 10, 2011, 12:25:10 am »

I just got sent home about 3 hours early from work due to snow.  If I was salary I wouldn't really care but sadly I'm hourly paid.  It's snow, people!  Not that difficult to drive in!  There's no ice, yet, and it's only a few inches.  I went to school/work in worse up north!  Frickin' southerners...
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 ... 8167