Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498431 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #16920 on: November 23, 2010, 03:50:14 pm »

Russian.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16921 on: November 23, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »

Take the geometry. I mean, if you are taking already 3 math courses you might pick another one as well. Might be that the things you learn in one can aid you in one other.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16922 on: November 23, 2010, 03:59:49 pm »

Were I in that situation, I'd keep as much variety in my coursework that I can. I don't know what Classical Geometry would entail, but unless there are significant bits of material covered there that you won't be able to get out of the other courses you're taking, I'd say go for Russian. It may be the only chance you get to learn it, while math will be around you for most of your life.

Suppose that depends on how passionate you are about Russian, or if you have a strong desire to learn it, though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16923 on: November 23, 2010, 04:01:47 pm »

Depends.  Do you feel you have enough maths already for what you want to do, and that diversifying slightly may help for sanity reasons?

If not, and you feel you can always use more maths, then...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16924 on: November 23, 2010, 04:03:53 pm »

Russian. You can use Russian to learn even more math by consulting the original texts of Russian mathematicians.

You cannot use higher math to learn more Russian. Although sometimes it might help in figuring out exactly how many possible declensions of a noun there are. Because sometimes it gets up there.

Plus stuff others said about being well-rounded. I had one year of Russian in high school, and I loved it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #16925 on: November 23, 2010, 04:04:37 pm »

Suppose that depends on how passionate you are about Russian, or if you have a strong desire to learn it, though.

And who doesn't have a strong desire to read War and Peace in its native language?

Hmm?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16926 on: November 23, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »

Take the geometry. I mean, if you are taking already 3 math courses you might pick another one as well. Might be that the things you learn in one can aid you in one other.

I was going to, and then I realized that I need to learn Russian and German for grad school, plus (if I'm lucky) Ancient Greek, Latin, and Chinese for the rest of my career.  Plus, I'm already taking two honors courses... admittedly, I'd already finished most of one with perfect grades when I left school, but it's still a big time sink.

And the Russian gives me this incredibly amazing schedule, where I have only one hour of classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Admittedly, that hour is at 9 in the morning, but I figure that will keep me honest.

First off, I am (in addition to being a math nut) something of a languages and literature nut.  Second off, I will be able to lord this over Aspen's head, because he couldn't deal with Russian or Arabic.  Of course, I can't handle Hupa or any of the other native languages he's smashing himself in the face with, so that may be a moot point.

Depends.  Do you feel you have enough maths already for what you want to do, and that diversifying slightly may help for sanity reasons?

If not, and you feel you can always use more maths, then...

There is never enough maths, but learning Russian is the gateway to a heck of a lot more maths than I have right now.

That, and I've heard bad reviews about the classical geometry course.  Also, I kind of hate geometry.

I'm currently thinking I'll just get a few textbooks out of a library and go nuts.

And who doesn't have a strong desire to read War and Peace in its native language?

Hmm?

War and Peace... maybe not.  Collected works of Dostoevsky: sign me up, please.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16927 on: November 23, 2010, 04:09:24 pm »

Second off, I will be able to lord this over Aspen's head, because he couldn't deal with Russian or Arabic.  Of course, I can't handle Hupa or any of the other native languages he's smashing himself in the face with, so that may be a moot point.
Ah, well, if you're doing it for REVENGE (which we've already established is the only possible motive for anything ever) then of course you must!

As a serious answer, the Russian course does sound pretty good.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #16928 on: November 23, 2010, 04:11:19 pm »

War and Peace... maybe not.  Collected works of Dostoevsky: sign me up, please.

*High five*

Exactly.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16929 on: November 23, 2010, 04:20:21 pm »

Russian.  The longer it's in your head, the more time it will have to sink in there properly, and give you cool stuff to read.  Whereas classical geom is not exactly a time-critical...thing.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16930 on: November 23, 2010, 04:21:55 pm »

Dostoevsky made me want to unlearn Russian.  :-X

Goncharov and Gogol could outwrite Dostoevsky with one hand tied behind their backs. The true genius of Russian literature lies in social satire and black humor, not waffling considerations of German philosophers.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #16931 on: November 23, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »

This made me sad today.

Gogol was great. But come on, Notes from the Underground!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16932 on: November 23, 2010, 04:38:21 pm »

Goncharov and Gogol could outwrite Dostoevsky with one hand tied behind their backs. The true genius of Russian literature lies in social satire and black humor, not waffling considerations of German philosophers.

You've got to admit that Raskolnikov (or Rudya :3) was kind of adorable, what with his sighing and turning to the wall and so on.

In more seriousness, House of the Dead was extremely interesting.  No waffling or philosophy, just a bunch of prisoners doing... prisony things.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16933 on: November 23, 2010, 04:45:13 pm »

Trying to remember what play I saw in university...  "The Suicide: A Russian Comedy," I think it was.  Says a lot.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16934 on: November 23, 2010, 04:50:13 pm »

Trying to remember what play I saw in university...  "The Suicide: A Russian Comedy," I think it was.  Says a lot.

Hahaha >_>

Is anyone familiar with Chekov?  I have some more Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and Nabokov to read before I get to him, but I was wondering if anyone in the know had any particular feelings about the dude.

Pages: 1 ... 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 ... 8168