Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443187 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13515 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:07 pm »

Nah, I get using dots for multiplication.  That makes sense.

What doesn't seem to make sense is why our dots are the other way round compared to Americans.  It just seems designed to cause horrible confusion.

...Wait a second.

The middle dot is standard in the United States, the United Kingdom, and other countries where the period is used as a decimal point. In other countries that use a comma as a decimal point, either the period or a middle dot is used for multiplication.
WHAT THE HELL

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: September 28, 2010, 06:32:14 pm »

Huh, I switch between writing multiplication as a middle dot, a * or nothing at all if I can avoid it. I love inconsistency. Also if I ever run into dot multiplication, I use a fat dot, not the small one I sometimes use for scalar multiplication. Of course since the outer product has the "cross multiplier sign" defined for it and the inner product only applies to matrices of equal dimensions, you could even forgo giving it a sign and treat it as standard multiplication. That however gets messy if you're not using any indicator to discern matrices from constants (like putting a bar on top of it, though that's usually reserved for vectors and gets confusing if you're also using complex conjugates or boolean logic. Other options is using fat or italic letters or only capitols for matrices and lower case for constants.)

Also, I think vector's the, let's say, nicest of the math inclined persons here. So if you'd make a thread she'd scoop up all the problems before we get a shot :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:41:48 pm by Virex »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: September 28, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »

Now, this seems ridiculous.  For one thing, neither my primary nor secondary school did it.  Nor does any TV programme or book I've read about maths.  Nor does the very calculator the school gets us to buy... indeed, I've never even heard about it until the past two weeks.

Because x is one of the most commonly-used variables, and it is very hard to tell 6 (times) 7 from 6x7 = 42x.

America uses dots, too, though I personally tend to use nested parens more than anything else--so 6(7) instead of 6x7 or otherwise.

After all this time programming I usually prefer * over anything else. Especially since () can mean a function call in programming.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: September 28, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »

I also stick with * or ()
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13519 on: September 28, 2010, 09:39:27 pm »

I'm having trouble with an early Dead Rising 2 psychopath pair. Twice now they have been the death of me and my two survivors in tow.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: September 28, 2010, 10:10:28 pm »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:37 pm »

I'm sad that the math is on fire.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: September 28, 2010, 10:15:18 pm »

It's more awesome that way.

Of course, when I do math, it always winds up as:

XxMATHxX

*facepalm*
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:19:15 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13523 on: September 28, 2010, 10:40:43 pm »

*definite integrals*
≡indefinite integrals≡
☼derivatives☼
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »

I personally use a 'middle dot' twice the size of the period I use for the decimal.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:54 pm »

Y'all are crazy.
I either store the number as variables and multiply those without a symbol, or divide by the reciprocal.
That is, 6(7) becomes 6=a, 7=b, ab, or 6/(1/7).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: September 28, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »

The stupid encased in ice bug makes me sad because it requires me to micromanage A LOT. It's worse than the old "dig channel, fall in and drown" bug
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: September 29, 2010, 02:14:27 am »

I'm sad that all of the C++ tutorials for beginners that I have been looking at are useless.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: September 29, 2010, 02:25:40 am »

If you don't get it, you're hopeless.
If you already know all that, you're not a beginner anymore, it's time to move on to harder stuff.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13529 on: September 29, 2010, 02:28:11 am »

I'm sad that all of the C++ tutorials for beginners that I have been looking at are useless.

Really, you just have to know the syntax and the commands. Once you have that down, just sit down at your IDE and let the code flow through you. It isn't a conscious process, it's just natural. Like speaking or walking.

Of course, then you have to debug your code. So just put a metric assload of print statements all over everything and analyse the program's logic.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 8167