Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9444060 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13500 on: September 28, 2010, 05:13:48 pm »

Bah. I love math, but proofs are EVIL.

Ex: prove that 3x+1 is even if and only if x is odd.

It's ridiculously easy to see that it's true... but proving it is something else entirely.
Spoiler: I'm bored (click to show/hide)
Helpful Vector is helpful. Thanks... now to figure out the rest of this course.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13501 on: September 28, 2010, 05:33:30 pm »

Helpful Vector is also awesome.

This place REALLY needs a math megathread...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13502 on: September 28, 2010, 05:35:36 pm »

If we made a math megathread, all of us mathmatically deceaced individuals would constantly be bugging Vector for help. Not the best idea.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13503 on: September 28, 2010, 05:35:42 pm »

I've been told that if I ever play football again it will shorten the time I will get extremely painful knee arthritis.

I never even got to experience a full varsity season.  :'(.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13504 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:36 pm »

If we made a math megathread, all of us mathmatically deceaced individuals would constantly be bugging Vector for help. Not the best idea.
Hey, Vector isn't the only math person around. She's just several years ahead of the rest of us.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13505 on: September 28, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »

Yeah, just use the sad thread for it!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13506 on: September 28, 2010, 05:38:18 pm »

Hey, Vector isn't the only math person around. She's just several years ahead of the rest of us.
And thus, she is the one we will all think to go to first. Anyway, do we all really want to constantly be helping each other with homework, math or otherwise?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13507 on: September 28, 2010, 05:38:48 pm »

That doesn't actually look like a very good measure of quality of education.  It seems that it's 2 thirds based on adult literacy and 1 third on gross enrollment rates at primary/secondary/tertiary level.

Let's imagine a country that has primary, secondary at teriary schools.  They force everyone to go to these schools on pain of death.  In them, you do nothing except learn how to read and write adequately, then sit around being bored.

This country would have a perfect score on the "Education index".

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's good for measuring accessibility of education in poorer countries, but actual quality?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13508 on: September 28, 2010, 05:41:38 pm »

Eh, I'm halfway through my sophomore year.  I just study a lot.

I don't mind helping people with math, anyhow, as long as they try pretty hard first... I just sort of automatically try to solve math problems when I see them written down >_>;  In reality, I'd hope that a megathread would teach you to help each other.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13509 on: September 28, 2010, 05:49:24 pm »

All this stuff makes my head want to explode. I'm the kind of person who only does math out of necessity.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13510 on: September 28, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »

Oh yeah, the gripe.

What the heck is up with the so called "British" way of writing down decimal points and multiplication symbols?

I mean, apparently, in British notation (which we use at school) 6.7 means "6x7" (with a decimal you need the dot further up... damnit, I can't even find it on a computer).  My new school uses this form of notation.

Now, this seems ridiculous.  For one thing, neither my primary nor secondary school did it.  Nor does any TV programme or book I've read about maths.  Nor does the very calculator the school gets us to buy... indeed, I've never even heard about it until the past two weeks.

So uh... I guess I'd advocate us switching to the American system.  Rant over.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13511 on: September 28, 2010, 06:04:00 pm »

Now, this seems ridiculous.  For one thing, neither my primary nor secondary school did it.  Nor does any TV programme or book I've read about maths.  Nor does the very calculator the school gets us to buy... indeed, I've never even heard about it until the past two weeks.

Because x is one of the most commonly-used variables, and it is very hard to tell 6 (times) 7 from 6x7 = 42x.

America uses dots, too, though I personally tend to use nested parens more than anything else--so 6(7) instead of 6x7 or otherwise.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13512 on: September 28, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »

() work the best yeah.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13513 on: September 28, 2010, 06:05:38 pm »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13514 on: September 28, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »

My Stepdad dropped by today, and it was rather nice. He brought some apples he and my Mom had picked, we chatted for a bit, and we took care of some car issues. He also got to meet the kitten, and for a man who long professed his hatred of cats when we were growing up, him saying she was cool was a pleasant surprise. I think I impressed him by the fact that I was studying for my exam, and with some of the things we're doing in Lab. It was rather nice.

Shit, wrong thread. I've got a big honking exam, and a Lab Practical for which I need to know every Animal Phylum like the back of my hand! Doom and Gloom!

Yeah, just use the sad thread for it!

Zing!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:08:42 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 8167