Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453755 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12120 on: September 12, 2010, 05:08:59 am »

Don't be too quick to call yourself weak. Strength takes on many forms; in most cases, it's not something that you have, but something that you choose; the way you decide to react to difficulty. I don't consider myself particularly strong, but I know how to "pace myself" emotionally, when dealing with difficult things. A lot of times, this might look like apathy- and maybe it can be- but much like the body fatigues when overworked, you sometimes need emotional distance to "rest", when dealing with adversity.

Only time will tell.
As I said, I'll be busy for the next few days, but afterwards I'll try to actively do things.

Like tackling a book called "Basic problems of Philosphy" (not quite the right title, but translating it literally would make it sound stupid), which I've been told is the book for beginning philosophy students.
Also I should re-read "The Universe in a Nutshell" and "A Brief History of Time", as well as all the Terry Pratchett books in english.

Finally look for a drawing tutorial. Learning how to draw in "free form"-mode doesn't work for me. I need some guidelines and exercises.

Then I have to figure out what study course is the right one for me. The choic isn't easy and I don't plan on screwing up like the last time I had to pick a school.

Also, the fact that my only two female friends have suddenly hooked up with guys and will probably be spending the next however long they're dating giving me relationship advice kind of irritates me.

Been there. These situations can be quite irritating.
Lucky that in my current close circle of friends nearly everyone is single and the one who isn't has a girlfriend, which I perceive as pretty manly.
As they don't seem to kiss in public and don't talk about more private matters, it seems pretty manageable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:30:27 am by Mindmaker »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12121 on: September 12, 2010, 07:35:54 am »

Nonsense. Empathatic new-age male sensitivos work just as fine.

Good point.  Too bad I know only nerds IRL--but I may be able to find some sensitive men in my drama and writing courses.

I'm sure that's where they hide out... right?

There are more ladies and overtly gay men in my weightlifting class than straight men.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12122 on: September 12, 2010, 07:52:02 am »

I tend to hold the belief that there are Two of every single type of person in the world at any time. Of course, if these two people were to meet, they'd either love or hate eachother, which is where the idea of soul-mates and arch-enemies come from.

more than one, likely, as I keep meeting people who remind me of other people...

Incidentally, there was this guy I met last year, who had almost the same interests as me, made simmilar puns, and liked simmilar music. He even dressed kind of like me. I found him to be a pretentious ass.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12123 on: September 12, 2010, 07:55:45 am »

Pow.

Edit: I've had a headache all day. It's funny how you can grin at other people having headaches, and call them sissies, but once you've got one, you realise they're Really distracting. This also means I've been quite irritable today. I think I'll just try and get some sleep.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:07:04 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12124 on: September 12, 2010, 08:11:39 am »

Incidentally, there was this guy I met last year, who had almost the same interests as me, made simmilar puns, and liked simmilar music. He even dressed kind of like me. I found him to be a pretentious ass.
Now just be thankful you don't have an identical twin.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12125 on: September 12, 2010, 10:03:49 am »

I need some more female friends.

I know I've complained more than enough everywhere, but I really, really need more female friends.
So do I, Vector, so do I...

...though I really just need to get out and do more things.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: September 12, 2010, 11:41:07 am »

Now just be thankful you don't have an identical twin.
Leafsnail is correct. Don't look for a way to get one if you don't already. They can be terrifically annoying.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12127 on: September 12, 2010, 11:56:23 am »

I tend to hold the belief that there are Two of every single type of person in the world at any time. Of course, if these two people were to meet, they'd either love or hate eachother, which is where the idea of soul-mates and arch-enemies come from.

more than one, likely, as I keep meeting people who remind me of other people...

Heh... yeah, I have a feeling if I had to deal with another version of myself, I'd probably find him pretty annoying, though we'd probably still hang out because I'd try to look past it

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12128 on: September 12, 2010, 12:40:37 pm »

Heh... yeah, I have a feeling if I had to deal with another version of myself, I'd probably find him pretty annoying, though we'd probably still hang out because I'd try to look past it

I used to say that the person I'd least like to be stuck in a room alone with would be a copy of myself.  Of course, the proofs could be amazing...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: September 12, 2010, 12:44:29 pm »

Maybe it's just Econ, but I'm pretty sure the gender ratio is something close to 5:1 in some classes.

Obvious answer: Men are smarter than women. Bam, done.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12130 on: September 12, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »

I'd love to meet myself. I would be the perfect opponent in video games.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12131 on: September 12, 2010, 12:56:15 pm »

I would be the perfect opponent in a fight to the death.
Shoes...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12132 on: September 12, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »

I would be the perfect opponent in a fight to the death.
That too. The problem would be neither side would survive the fight.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12133 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:45 pm »

Why not?  It's not Pokiemans, we don't both deal identical amounts of damage at a set rate.

If I push my clone down and stomp him in the head until he dies, I win.
Shoes...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:11 pm »

So it sortof becomes 50/50, heh.  Since your clone would be planning the exact same thing.
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 8167