Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453592 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12090 on: September 11, 2010, 11:09:23 pm »

The more you say these things, the more doubt that I find cast upon them. Like mashing sentences together whenever somthing bothers you in reality. "Can't defend yourself"? Is your father abusive?

Mildly. I can usually kick his ass though. Just not twice in quick succession.

Also, I have taken up residence in the car. Much more comfortable than the sidewalk :P.

Believe me, if the output of my mind when it does that seems odd you should see the internal process. I sort of perceive things in an exaggerated manner. Something that would seem mildly annoying to you is psychological torture to me. 'Spose that's part of the basis for my Aspergers diagnosis.

Also, you misspelled "something".
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12091 on: September 11, 2010, 11:10:40 pm »

Believe me, if the output of my mind when it does that seems odd you should see the internal process. I sort of perceive things in an exaggerated manner. Something that would seem mildly annoying to you is psychological torture to me. 'Spose that's part of the basis for my Aspergers diagnosis.

... That also sounds a lot like Borderline Personality Disorder, which is far less... glamorous.

Dunno, man.  Sensitivities can be overcome, and I hate to say it to you, but if you at least tried, then you'd probably have an easier time getting along with people.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:13:38 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12092 on: September 11, 2010, 11:17:16 pm »

Mildly. I can usually kick his ass though. Just not twice in quick succession.

I don't want to call you a liar, but your are making it difficult. I could have sworn you claimed physical inequity before.

Also, I have taken up residence in the car. Much more comfortable than the sidewalk :P.

I'm no expert, and Asperger's is not easy to understand even by psycological standads, but isn't that disorder mostly characterized by a lack of active empathy, leaving only passive empathy, and not what you discribed?

Also, you misspelled "something".
Lies and slander, it clearly reads and always has read "something" now, then and forever with no tampering at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12093 on: September 11, 2010, 11:19:59 pm »

I could have sworn you claimed physical inequity before.
Maybe his father is more inequitable.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12094 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

That being why I didn't immediately call him out as a liar. I just would find it a bit odd that an adult would be less physically apt than his own (assumably) not an adult son.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12095 on: September 11, 2010, 11:23:42 pm »

I'm no expert, and Asperger's is not easy to understand even by psycological standads, but isn't that disorder mostly characterized by a lack of active empathy, leaving only passive empathy, and not what you discribed?

Along with failure to regulate social interactions via vocal tone, gestures, and facial expressions, missed social cues, nonfunctional inflexible routines, obsessive and extremely narrow interests, and occasionally lack of motor coordination/sensory sensitivity.

I'm not an expert, either, but I qualified for a diagnosis at one point and approximately half of my friends have AS or worse.  Eh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12096 on: September 11, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »

Quote from: Schilcote

[/quote]

Pretty sure that's the one thing that isn't a symptom. Look at TvTropes' Useful Notes page on it. Those pages are... well, useful.

Also, you mispelled "Aspergers", "psychological standards", and "described" this time :P.

Pretty much. Plus, I probably underestimate myself a bit.

That being why I didn't immediately call him out as a liar. I just would find it a bit odd that an adult would be less physically apt than his own (assumably) not an adult son.

Well, it isn't that hard for a boy at his physical prime to fight a 60 year-old man. I'm faster and more skilled as well, and I'm fighting defensively while he's fighting offensively. I don't need to hurt him to win (though it is *immensely* satisfying), I just need to avoid serious damage (and I'm as tough as nails from being beaten all the time) until he cools down.

Along with failure to regulate social interactions via vocal tone, gestures, and facial expressions, missed social cues, nonfunctional inflexible routines, obsessive and extremely narrow interests, and occasionally lack of motor coordination/sensory sensitivity.

Yeah, I have none of those except for the sensory sensitivity thing. I think the doctor was just sort of doing a bandwagon-jumping act.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:32:03 pm by Schilcote »
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12097 on: September 11, 2010, 11:26:40 pm »

Pretty sure that's the one thing that isn't a symptom. Look at TvTropes' Useful Notes page on it. Those pages are... well, useful.

Here you go.

Quote from: DSM-IV
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
      (B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
      (C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
      (D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity - AKA empathy

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
      (B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
      (C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
      (D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12098 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:10 pm »

Quote from: TvTropes Asperger's Syndrome Page-Symptoms
Lack of social empathy. This is the big one - most people with AS fail to realize if they're boring/offending/hurting/annoying whoever they're speaking to. It's important to note that not realizing you're annoying someone is not the same as not caring; in fact, most, when informed they are causing offense, will be humiliated. Lack of neurotypical-displayed empathy is common; lack of compassion is only as common as in the general public. The issue is mostly a communication problem: Not knowing what the other person is feeling, they will not know how to respond; once informed, they may not know which response is wanted. People with AS may be completely unaware of, or unable to understand and "correctly" follow, social rules that seem utterly self-evident and obvious to everybody else. For example, an AS individual in a romantic relationship may not know that their partner wants them to say "I love you", because they assume that the fact that they love their partner is a given and needn't be said more than once for both people to know it! Hence, some people with Asperger's will blatantly ask you if they are bothering you. Just Answer honestly and without hidden meanings.
Really, that seems to be only the exact thing I was getting at Untill Vector ninjaed me with a far better source.

Also, you mispelled "Aspergers", "psychological standards", and "described" this time :P.
Last time I took it as somewhat funny. Now you're just getting on my nerves.
No Gods, No Masters.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12099 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:58 pm »

Quote from: TvTropes Asperger's Syndrome Page-Symptoms
Lack of social empathy. This is the big one - most people with AS fail to realize if they're boring/offending/hurting/annoying whoever they're speaking to. It's important to note that not realizing you're annoying someone is not the same as not caring; in fact, most, when informed they are causing offense, will be humiliated. Lack of neurotypical-displayed empathy is common; lack of compassion is only as common as in the general public. The issue is mostly a communication problem: Not knowing what the other person is feeling, they will not know how to respond; once informed, they may not know which response is wanted. People with AS may be completely unaware of, or unable to understand and "correctly" follow, social rules that seem utterly self-evident and obvious to everybody else. For example, an AS individual in a romantic relationship may not know that their partner wants them to say "I love you", because they assume that the fact that they love their partner is a given and needn't be said more than once for both people to know it! Hence, some people with Asperger's will blatantly ask you if they are bothering you. Just Answer honestly and without hidden meanings.
Really, that seems to be only the exact thing I was getting at[/s] Untill Vector ninjaed me with a far better source.

Well, I stand quite brutally corrected.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12100 on: September 12, 2010, 12:07:43 am »

Well, that's a hell of a conversation I missed. I think I'll leave it alone, except to say I really don't care what Bandages does. If you can't handle a 'family dispute', either leave the family or change. And seeing how much pity Bandages got, I'm not so sure if I should've picked the second option.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12101 on: September 12, 2010, 12:49:31 am »

Furhur Bradley is a 60 year old man, I would never dare look at him.  He would kill me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12102 on: September 12, 2010, 03:10:54 am »

I need some more female friends.

I know I've complained more than enough everywhere, but I really, really need more female friends.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:15:38 am by Vector »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12103 on: September 12, 2010, 03:22:14 am »

Nonsense. Empathatic new-age male sensitivos work just as fine.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12104 on: September 12, 2010, 03:22:22 am »

Befriend a bunch of fruitcakes and just pretend they're female.
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 8167