Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455399 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12105 on: September 12, 2010, 03:28:57 am »

Nonsense. Empathatic new-age male sensitivos work just as fine.

Good point.  Too bad I know only nerds IRL--but I may be able to find some sensitive men in my drama and writing courses.

I'm sure that's where they hide out... right?

Befriend a bunch of fruitcakes and just pretend they're female.

Hmm.

Possibly.

As long as the fruitcakes don't tell me romantic first-kiss-while-asking-out stories, or I may have to eat them.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: September 12, 2010, 03:30:29 am »

So you want a bunch of sensible female friends, who don't tell you romantic stories.

Who AREN'T taken.

Heh. Yeah. Have fun with that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: September 12, 2010, 03:40:47 am »

So you want a bunch of sensible female friends, who don't tell you romantic stories.

Who AREN'T taken.

I have no idea what I keep trying to say here.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:48:14 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: September 12, 2010, 03:56:55 am »

Who AREN'T taken.

I have no idea what I keep trying to say here.

Whatever it is, it made me grin reading it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: September 12, 2010, 03:57:13 am »

Haha, that's cheering =)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: September 12, 2010, 03:58:30 am »

Hunt around the Physics and/or Chemistry department. I've found a fair number tend to congregate there.

Oooh, or you could organize a female science/math club, and use that as a cover to fill that social niche. You could sell the school on providing resources for women involved in the sciences and mathematics, and/or doing work to help young girls to realize that it's okay for them to take an interest in Academia. I'd bet there's even school funding available for things like that, and you could vote on projects like Rube-Goldberg Machines, or Home-Brewed Thermite... and you could put together demonstrations for local Middle/Elementary schools too.

I used to do that with the Chemistry Club at my school, though it was aimed at the general middle-school population. It was a lot of fun, though, and a great way to meet fellow dorks of all interests and walks of life.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: September 12, 2010, 04:04:29 am »

Actually, solifuge has a pretty good idea, though from what I've seen, you'd probably have trouble finding enough women to make it much of a club. >.<
Maybe it's just Econ, but I'm pretty sure the gender ratio is something close to 5:1 in some classes.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #12112 on: September 12, 2010, 04:05:55 am »

In a slightly more convoluted manner, put a science or math problem on the door to a bathroom. Talk to anybody that stops and looks at them.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12113 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:10 am »

In a slightly more convoluted manner, put a science or math problem on the door to a bathroom. Talk to anybody that stops and looks at them.

This might be less than accurate. I pretty often stop for those sort of things, but only to sort of sadly shake my head and silently swear at myself for not working harder at math. So you could end up with a bunch of losers who can barely manage first-semester calculus. xD

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: September 12, 2010, 04:12:50 am »

All good ideas.

What do I want in a friend?  Someone who can see me without bending the truth.  I have a friend like that, and I miss him terribly.  He keeps me honest and seems to see the world very clearly, checking himself at every turn as he roots out pleasant delusions.  I'd like to make another.  He's very calming.

I just wish that Thyme could have found herself without needing to place me so firmly in her shadow.  I'm more than willing to admit that she has good points that I don't have.  I just wish that she could see mine.

This might be less than accurate. I pretty often stop for those sort of things, but only to sort of sadly shake my head and silently swear at myself for not working harder at math. So you could end up with a bunch of losers who can barely manage first-semester calculus. xD

But you're interested, and you try... and that's all I really want, anyway.  Curiosity.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: September 12, 2010, 04:15:55 am »

You shouldn't try to choose your friends. Otherwise you will probably end up with too few of them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:27 am »

You shouldn't try to choose your friends. Otherwise you will probably end up with too few of them.

... Out of the mouths of youths.  Thank you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: September 12, 2010, 04:20:52 am »

I'm picky with my close friends, but I try to be friendly with a lot of people. Even so, I'd rather surround myself with few people who I can trust, and whose company I genuinely enjoy, rather than a lot of people whom I get along with, but don't necessarily relate well to.

I'm also an Introvert, and my social drive can come at a premium... so I try to get the most bang for my chronological buck.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: September 12, 2010, 04:29:53 am »

Yeah, I'm with Solifuge. Be friendly to everyone, since you never know who might turn out pretty decent, but I don't see much wrong with sometimes looking for friends who fit your idea of what a friend should be.
Then again, I'm about as antisocial as they come, so my advice should probably be interpreted in reverse to get best results.
...that means, be friends with anyone you can, and be rude to everyone. Hrm. That's not much better at all, actually. Damn.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: September 12, 2010, 04:51:30 am »

It's my nature to try and be friends with everyone I meet, and those who get past my annoyingness to learn who I am generally can't get enough of me. But- while I'm not 'picky' about close friends, if a person takes me for granted, I'll certainly shunt them aside.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 8167