Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5931 5932 [5933] 5934 5935 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443860 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88980 on: February 24, 2015, 03:47:33 am »

I just realized I want to do everything. As in there's lots of different things I want to be good at, and to achieve the level of "good" that I want to, it would require extensive work and focus on a specific thing to get good at it. Like drawing. Or playing guitar. Or writing music. Or programming a game. Or writing a novel or short story or worldbuilding for fantasy or something. Or playing all the cool video games. I can't focus on one specific thing without being unable to do all the other things I like. So I can't specialize in one thing. So I can't get good at everything I want to because it's physically impossible to focus on them all specifically all at the same time.

Bound for a life of jack of all trades and master of none, I guess. Seems like I'm bound for nothing but inner disappointment and unfulfillment.
I am one of these, probably slightly later in life.
My advice is that this feeling won't go away, so get started on it now, and just cross stuff off your list until you find something that seriously grips you.
If it doesn't, you shall be a jack of all trades. Enjoy life.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88981 on: February 24, 2015, 04:23:52 am »

Meh, Aces exist. People get too worried about biting too much that they can chew, that they forget that being a generalist who is the best at everything they do isn't unrealistic.

Of course, it is a pain and most of the time it isn't worth all your atten- ooh! a shiny coin!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88982 on: February 24, 2015, 06:19:34 am »

* The shiny coin is glued securely to the floor.

Sad: I have a sore throat, somehow. I had better not be getting sick, not the last few days before I move. :-X
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88983 on: February 24, 2015, 08:28:53 am »

I just realized I want to do everything. As in there's lots of different things I want to be good at, and to achieve the level of "good" that I want to, it would require extensive work and focus on a specific thing to get good at it. Like drawing. Or playing guitar. Or writing music. Or programming a game. Or writing a novel or short story or worldbuilding for fantasy or something. Or playing all the cool video games. I can't focus on one specific thing without being unable to do all the other things I like. So I can't specialize in one thing. So I can't get good at everything I want to because it's physically impossible to focus on them all specifically all at the same time.

Bound for a life of jack of all trades and master of none, I guess. Seems like I'm bound for nothing but inner disappointment and unfulfillment.
Some of the goals you mentioned synergize, pretty well too. If you focus on songwriting, playing becomes easier, other way round likewise; playing and drawing both work on hand movement precision and all creative skills improve, well, creativity.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88984 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:58 am »

Some kind of damage to the water system, likely caused by the cold, has closed down all the dining areas on campus for the foreseeable future. I'm sure they'll fix it with some urgency, but I'm probably going to miss breakfast because of this.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #88985 on: February 24, 2015, 09:23:49 am »

I am one of these, probably slightly later in life.
My advice is that this feeling won't go away, so get started on it now, and just cross stuff off your list until you find something that seriously grips you.
If it doesn't, you shall be a jack of all trades. Enjoy life.
You could firstly try to stop dubbing yourself as a failure by applying a future possibility as if it was present reality and notice that the focus on these things [those possibilities] is what, is pretty much, bringing you down.
Its not balanced by rational thought--it is focus on a negative label which encompasses the present, and the perceived, predicted future...without taking in all other factors (like the idea that you can change it).
Doing nothing equals doing nothing. Doing something, while being aware of what you do, equals something, though you'd notice there's a lot of ways on how one can think about doing something in a proceeding fashion.

To poke at the orange bit--I know one guy who actually pursued the path you're stating (jack of all trades, but mastering all)--he mastered difficulty. That guy is our national hero--Jose Rizal; he spent much of his time mastering skills that in the process of doing such, he didn't focus on how hard things are, but how these things can be mastered. It is from people like him that we note, that the hardest thing is usually always in the first steps--the first things we all focus on and note the difficulty. Has the guitarist woe'd the notion of playing an A chord when he has already learned it? Has the mathematician had trouble with single-digit multiplication when that's a basic first step?

All these things are 'hard' in foresight. Many of these things are easy in hindsight, once accomplished.
Difficulty is a relative term, only to describe how it is presently seen. Many, many things that can be done personally are very much possible. c:
You'll notice that when you focus on the deed and the work at hand, you'll focus less on how bloody hard and difficult it is.

Reminds me of the many woes I had to learn in university studies. Many of my peers say {x} is hard.
We noticed it was only hard because we didn't have experience in that field beforehand (ie Medicine. Why wasn't this taught in high school!? D:<), so it is hard because of lacking knowledge into it--both conscious and subconscious.
And then we read up and studied, focused on our readings and practiced first-hand writing, copying techniques and notes and familiarizing terms and applying imagery or art to it to get it in gear. It doesn't seem that hard to describe 'nervous stage fright' in medical terms now!

... *erase erase*
Now if I can only get this pixel art right! Customized armor is hard. :X
          *scritch scratch click*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:31:49 am by Tiruin »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #88986 on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:04 am »

You wanna know how to figure out what to do with your life?

The first bit starts with division: work and everything else. Two categories. Work, do whatever work you can live with doing without wanting to jump off a sky scraper that makes you the most money and you can manage to do well. Everything else, this is where you live and find satisfaction.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #88987 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:45 am »

Need to decide between aking an expensive course, taking an expensive and arduous test, or just letting my pharmacy technician certification lapse since it hasn't gotten me a job yet anyway.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #88988 on: February 24, 2015, 12:03:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure I messed up real bad on this response paper. Its 10% of the grade :(. Hopefully the extra credit i got from attending that presentation makes up for it.
It's FEF, not FEOF

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88989 on: February 24, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »

-damnforgotaboutthat-
Um.

Seeing as you post about hating your job every couple of days, I would suggest that it might show there is something inherently flawed about that plan.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:34:44 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88990 on: February 24, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »

Sads today; was upstairs in the library working on my laptop, and after about an hour some women came to sit down at the table nearby, nearly on the edge of my vision. The one facing away from me would turn around every minute or so, apparently looking back at me, and I can't stop thinking about what she might be seeing that is making her so conscious of me. There's nothing on the opposite wall but the bathrooms and a vending machine, fire extinguisher. It's not like anyone else was walking by every time. And I've noticed this happening once before, in the same place. No idea if it's the same two women, but it's freaking me out.

When I went to the bathroom and came back, some dudes had taken over that desk. Now I'm stuck downstairs in the cold by a window. At least nobody can constantly peep on me back here ;-;
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #88991 on: February 24, 2015, 01:20:23 pm »

Quote from: Truean
potato
Um.

Seeing as you post about hating your job every couple of days, I would suggest that it might show there is something inherently flawed about that plan.
Remember the no quoting thing?
Otherwise I agree though, generally you want to find at least a measure of satisfaction in the thing you spend a lot of your time doing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88992 on: February 24, 2015, 01:35:04 pm »

Quote from: Truean
potato
Um.

Remember the no quoting thing?
No. I didn't. Fixed.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #88993 on: February 24, 2015, 01:44:43 pm »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-24/the-first-two-law-schools-to-drop-the-lsat-could-be-just-the-beginning?cmpid=yhoo

Once again, do not go to law school. They're trying to lower the bar because they need more warm bodies to fill seats no matter how terrible the chances of those people finding jobs are.

Welcome to law school, pay up so we can screw you over.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #88994 on: February 24, 2015, 02:06:26 pm »

So, felt the need to yawn, did so by slumping in the chair, sticking both feet out in front of me and stretching my arms up. A few minutes afterwards I got up and felt a piercing pain in my ankle area and running slightly higher than it. Had to sit down verrrry quickly. Wasn't expecting that at all, was a bit of a shock, and now I have to hobble everywhere. Pain's only bad when I move my foot or put weight on it.

I can only guess the yawn must have caused it somehow, 'cause there was no run up to it earlier in the day.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5931 5932 [5933] 5934 5935 ... 8167