Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5932 5933 [5934] 5935 5936 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443668 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88995 on: February 24, 2015, 04:05:32 pm »

Warning you against my mistakes isn't a flaw. I'm warning you against the flaw. See, I was pushed into this line of work by various things, misguided parents, outdated societal perceptions, outright fraud and windexed stats on the part of law schools, etc. Point being, I chose what I THOUGHT, would be a career I loved based upon false information. I'm very good at it. Doesn't mean jack because I ran into every corrupt shit ever and got most of them indicted but that doesn't help me. I'm looking for something else and I constantly get "but why wouldn't you wanna keep being a lawyer...?" by completely bewildered interviewers....

Besides, look at the example rule I proposed:
"...do whatever work you can live with doing without wanting to jump off a sky scraper that makes you the most money and you can manage to do well."

I did not imply the presence of a parachute or the intention of landing safely. Consider and examine your premise, the error, simply is that you didn't catch what I was saying before picking holes in it, where there were none.

In simple sum, I'm saying this is an extension of "you are not your job." That said, for all practical purposes, you must have a job to live, so pick one that you can live with that makes you enough money so you can have a life OUTSIDE of that job.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #88996 on: February 24, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »

Just saw a question on my Astronomy 180 class that went something like this:
Graph with obvious big numbers - ... - obvious little numbers

You encounter two students arguing:
Student 1: I think X because of "vague reasons directly contradicted by graph"
Student 2: I think Y because of "technical reasons taken word-for-word off of the graph above"

Do you agree with Student 1, Student 2, neither, or both? State your reasoning.
The question was just so dumb that I literally got most of the way writing through "I agree with Student 2 because Student 1 is an idiot" before my brain caught up with what I was writing and realized that probably wasn't the answer they were looking for.

I mean seriously, I can understand being a little vague on math stuff since this is a common "science" elective for nonmath/science people (it's basically astronomy focused physics 101), but this is like 3rd grade level stuff here. I mean seriously, graph reading?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88997 on: February 24, 2015, 04:45:00 pm »

THIS QUOTE HAS BEEN REMOVED BY THE QUOTERANTINE ENFORCEMENT BUREAU, MOVE ALONG CITIZEN
That the job you work does not follow your expectations is entirely irrelevant to your argument. You picking a job you thought you would love and it turning out not to be so is entirely equivalent to someone picking a job based upon your criteria of money, not rendering you suicidal and being half-decent at and it turning out not to be so. In both cases, it is not a failure of prioritization in picking one, but of operating on unreliable data in doing so.

If you are basing your argument in your own experiences, the conclusion does not follow the premises. A logical progression to your conclusion would be: a) I picked my job based on self-fulfillment criterion and because I'm being paid negative ten dollars a month, I'm broke and unsatisfied, even though I like my job, therefore b) do not pick a job based of that criterion.

...or anything else along the lines, not 'I picked a job based on [criterion], but the data for my decision-making process on what would accomplish that criterion best were wrong, therefore do not use that criterion' - if that's the case, what you should do is make superhyper doubleplus megaextra sure with a cherry on top that the job is what you were looking for. Talk to lawyers about their jobs. Work/volunteer in a law firm at a position that does not require a degree. Whatever, I'm not using this to dispense advice since I don't know the ins and outs of the profession, but to make a point.

And the rant you linked does not say what you imply it does; the entire thing is quite clearly a rant against materialism, keeping up with the Joneses-style; where you look down your nose at people whose job is not as prestigious as yours, or feel inadequate because yours isn't enough; in essence, it's not deriving your self-value from wealth - it's about deriving it from others' envy and admiration, which is an extremely toxic thing in itself as any kind of dependence on external validation, but if anything is a subset of the kind of algorithm you propose - get job to get money, here, specifically, to use the money to gain prestige.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88998 on: February 24, 2015, 04:50:54 pm »

Another night with almost no sleep. My sore throat has worsened, despite the medicine I took.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #88999 on: February 24, 2015, 04:52:22 pm »

Got another C on another Geology test. I hate this class. Getting a C is perhaps the worst possible thing for me. It's like saying "You didn't try hard enough, but we'll let you through anyway". God I wish my school offered computer science classes.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #89000 on: February 24, 2015, 04:55:30 pm »

Not feeling quite myself today. Took the medication I got at the ER, still don't think it's the right treatment because it didn't help with the side pain. Slept like a rock but woke up not feeling rested at all. Not to mention they drew a lot of blood (since I was way behind on blood tests) and gave me a flu shot.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #89001 on: February 24, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »

Wow, I have no idea where that all came from and am not particularly interested in it. The notion that this is somehow a contest to prove a point is a sad and misguided one. There is no "right" here. I expressed a point of view that I don't think translated well to you. You seem intent on "disproving" or otherwise "winning" an argument or something. I get this all the time, and it means exactly nothing, and that seems to make people upset for some reason, because they mistakenly take it as an emotional attack. No, it isn't, and attacking somebody's proposition doesn't do jack to change or fix that. How disconcerting for all parties. There is no such thing as a "debate" as people think of it in real life where some ref keeps points for certain things and declares a winner. You either subscribe to an idea or you don't. If the idea was right and you didn't listen, then you don't get the benefits of it. If it was wrong and you didn't listen, then you don't pay the costs. That's pretty much it. Having spent most of my life arguing, allegedly professionally over stupid shit, I just don't care anymore.

What I said, all I said, was essentially that:

1.) Everybody needs a job to provide material needs. Get one you can live with doing. Doesn't matter what as long as you can bear it.
2.) Everybody needs emotional fulfillment and "happiness," and that likely won't come from a job.
3.) Given #1, and #2, your job keeps you alive so that you can find meaning in something else.

I feel really sorry for anybody who doesn't get that and searches for "meaning" or "happiness" in their job. Most of the time, if it were meaningful or produced happiness, people would charge for it, not pay for it to be done by somebody else. I'm not gonna bother trying to explain it, because arguing on the internet is usually pointless and as the internet spills into real life, that's becoming more pointless as well. "Prestige" had exactly nothing, to do with what I said, "meaning," did, and they are not the same.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Edit: There may conceivably be people who honestly and truly like their jobs. Good. I'm honestly happy for them. If you have not found that kinda job, and the idea of "finding a job you truly love as a calling" gets you through the day, then by all means, please keep right on going, and I hope you find it. As for the rest of us, which I imagine are most of us....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:43:07 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89002 on: February 24, 2015, 05:21:07 pm »

And then there's those of us lucky people who's things that you enjoy doing actually coincide with your job (since what you enjoy is something that others don't, or that requires extensive training to do), and then that's even better! (But yeah, if you have no idea what you want to do, or can't think up a cool way to make what you enjoy earn you money, picking a job that pays well and is bearable is a good idea).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89003 on: February 24, 2015, 07:16:15 pm »

Got in a car accident today when the guy driving the car ahead of me passed out and his car rolled back into mine....
...But since I was ok, and because I didn't initially realize that the reason he crashed into me was that he had passed out, I took my time with calling 911, instead of calling to report the accident right away, which probably hurt his chances of being treated for whatever made him pass out in time to prevent serious injury or death (the cop who came by to write a police report on the accident couldn't wake him up and that usually means a heart attack or a stroke or a drug overdose or something else with a very time sensitive prognosis).

(I think the person working at the store across the street had already called 911 right after the accident happened anyway though, so that makes me feel a little better)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:19:43 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89004 on: February 24, 2015, 07:29:42 pm »

Oh wow Bohandas, that must feel awful  :(
Please don't beat yourself up about it though...  Someone had just driven into you, that's going to keep anybody from thinking perfectly for a while.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89005 on: February 24, 2015, 07:37:07 pm »

Hahahah, Truean being all like "I am not arguing here but this is me clarifying my side of the argument anyway!"*
You silly. People successively clarifying their points is the best kind of argument, like a rap battle between painters. It continues until both have complete pictures and then either stare across at eachother's easels with a "ah, I see what you have there. That's cool."
Some of the better arguments in the world don't resolve anything, but just give you each an insight into eachother. Or so I feel.

*Is facetious paraphrasing ok? I feel it might not be (I guess dependent on the topic at hand).

Got in a car accident today when the guy driving the car ahead of me passed out and his car rolled back into mine....
...But since I was ok, and because I didn't initially realize that the reason he crashed into me was that he had passed out, I took my time with calling 911.
Dang. If someone rolled backwards into me and then stayed there I'd be at their front window pretty quick.
Y'know, in a polite way, not a testosterony way.
Is that a culture thing?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:39:53 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #89006 on: February 24, 2015, 08:04:49 pm »

Hurghlburgh my head is hurting and it's really make it hard to feel like doing anything.

Also I'm feeling kinda lonely and at the same time don't feel like talking to people. Three cheers for conflicting emotions.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89007 on: February 24, 2015, 08:10:30 pm »

Hurghlburgh my head is hurting and it's really make it hard to feel like doing anything.

Also I'm feeling kinda lonely and at the same time don't feel like talking to people. Three cheers for conflicting emotions.
*Gives Spehss_ a half a hug*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89008 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:06 pm »

Oh man I can sympathise there Spehss. There's a few people I would very much like to avoid but also to have a srsbsns conversation with, and the reasons have huge overlap.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89009 on: February 24, 2015, 08:26:53 pm »

...But since I was ok, and because I didn't initially realize that the reason he crashed into me was that he had passed out, I took my time with calling 911.
Dang. If someone rolled backwards into me and then stayed there I'd be at their front window pretty quick.
Y'know, in a polite way, not a testosterony way.
Is that a culture thing?

I'm afraid of confrontation, and the collision also wasn't severe enough to injure anybody on its own. And by the time it started to become apparent that something additional was probably going on I was afraid of dealing with it; I still wasn't sure it was an emergency so I didn't want to call 911 so what I eventually did was look up the number for the local police on my smartphone and call them through their regular number.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 5932 5933 [5934] 5935 5936 ... 8167