Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4914 4915 [4916] 4917 4918 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456081 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73725 on: April 24, 2014, 09:42:54 am »

I had a look through some negative reviews for Half Life 2 on metacritic and I've realised that you will never be able to please everybody.

It doesn't play like CoD. It doesn't play like Quake. It plays too much like every other FPS. The graphics and and textures suck for 2004. It's too linear. I got lost in some levels because they're too big and confusing. The story was too long. It wasn't as long as Half Life 1*. Every mission is the same. Enemies are too generic. GMan is generic. Gordon has no personality. When's 3 Gabe?

I'm also baffled by the guy who complained that it wasn't really a game for the hardcore crowd and then said that he quit six hours in... just after Water Hazard (the airboat).

*I played Half Life for the first time last month, they're about the same length.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:58:27 am by NobodyPro »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #73726 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:12 am »

In fact, there's some humans who don't sleep.

Really? Who? I'm pretty sure sleep is a biological necessity for humans, as in you'll-die-without-it kind of necessity.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73727 on: April 24, 2014, 09:49:51 am »

Did anyone die from lack of sleep? Didn't they just kind of... fell asleep before that?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #73728 on: April 24, 2014, 09:58:07 am »

Places changed for maths class.
I sit next to a guy who sits next to my crush. To my right, there is nobody.
This guy flirts with my crush, which makes me feel bad and sort of frustrates me.

Things will very likely be like this for the rest of the year, and I have 5 hours of math a week.
I sort of like math, but this will probably make it less fun >.>

E: He does flirt with most girls, according to my best friend because I don't notice these things, but still >.<

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73729 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:04 am »

Really? Who? I'm pretty sure sleep is a biological necessity for humans, as in you'll-die-without-it kind of necessity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73730 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:15 am »

I had a look through some negative reviews for Half Life 2 on metacritic and I've realised that you will never be able to please everybody.

It doesn't play like CoD. It doesn't play like Quake. It plays too much like every other FPS. The graphics and and textures suck for 2004. It's too linear. I got lost in some levels because they're too big and confusing. The story was too long. It wasn't as long as Half Life 1*. Every mission is the same. Enemies are too generic. GMan is generic. Gordon has no personality. When's 3 Gabe?

I'm also baffled by the guy who complained that it wasn't really a game for the hardcore crowd and then said that he quit six hours in... just after Water Hazard (the airboat).

*I played Half Life for the first time last month, they're about the same length.

Half life two is one of those titles that it's rather overhyped.

I only completed it last month and, I hate to say it, it was really overhyped. Sure, generally it was gun and the story and such were great, however I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. The game has flaws, some of them worse than others, one of the main things that annoyed me to no end was the squad AI that was underused if those videos of it being useful aren't staged somewhat. The guns were bog standard except the gravity gun, pheromone thing, and the pulse gun and the crossbow thing. Past that, it's rather bland in terms of weapon choice. The ravenholme level was way too overhyped and it lost the atmosphere after a while.

Levels are a bit too big in some areas, while others are too small. I personally spent an hour on one section of ravenholme because jumping on some car traps wasn't immediately obvious(Hell, Grigori vaguely hinting towards that would've helped) and on the airboat, it took me forever on how to get to Eli's lab because jumping a ramp didn't make sense. The gravity gun is overhyped as while I'm sure I was not doing it right, but I could never figure out why it wasn't as fun or cool as people said. The puzzles are archaic in some portions while others are in fact rather boring and don't add much in my opinion.

Now, this is coming from someone who, when it came out, was only four or five, so I honestly can't say much without some bias.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73731 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04:41 am »

Levels are a bit too big in some areas, while others are too small. I personally spent an hour on one section of ravenholme because jumping on some car traps wasn't immediately obvious(Hell, Grigori vaguely hinting towards that would've helped) and on the airboat, it took me forever on how to get to Eli's lab because jumping a ramp didn't make sense. The gravity gun is overhyped as while I'm sure I was not doing it right, but I could never figure out why it wasn't as fun or cool as people said. The puzzles are archaic in some portions while others are in fact rather boring and don't add much in my opinion.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73732 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:54 am »

Eh.

I personally have no perception of what I'm supposed to do in a game so some games I have trouble figuring out what to and in others it's quite fun :P

HL2 was the former while let's say, FO New Vegas is the latter because there was always some form of guidance, IE Mr New vegas' radio news sections.

Though, I might be a bit over critical on it :P

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73733 on: April 24, 2014, 10:15:45 am »

I'm not saying it was a masterpiece, but it's not a 3/10. That was the highest rating given by the reviews I pulled those complaints from.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.
Would you like another see-saw puzzle?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73734 on: April 24, 2014, 10:20:45 am »

I give it a seven out of ten if that matters :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #73735 on: April 24, 2014, 10:20:56 am »

To be honest, I didn't like HL2 *that* much either. It's not a bad game, but not really a masterpiece. It certainly ranks behind Portal as far as Valve's masterpieces are concerned, imho.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73736 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:42 am »

Eh.

I personally have no perception of what I'm supposed to do in a game so some games I have trouble figuring out what to and in others it's quite fun :P

HL2 was the former while let's say, FO New Vegas is the latter because there was always some form of guidance, IE Mr New vegas' radio news sections.

Though, I might be a bit over critical on it :P
Mr. New Vegas gives you hints about where you're supposed to go? I just thought he sort of recapped the story so far like Three Dog.
I personally got stuck leaving Novac, because the road I need to use is patrolled by this freaking unkillable Legionnaire with a power hammer. He's just a regular guy, not mutated or anything, and he still can take like 3 frag grenades and barely lose any health. I'm suddenly starting to regret not siding with the Legion.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73737 on: April 24, 2014, 10:41:03 am »

Hehe.

Really, all he does is sort of vague things IE the Kings and their quest topic sort of along with Bitter Springs.

Enough to give you an idea of what to do :P

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73738 on: April 24, 2014, 11:02:56 am »

You are looking for the Übermensch
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #73739 on: April 24, 2014, 11:39:12 am »

I'm not sure about people who need NO sleep, but there ARE some people who only need a couple of hours of sleep every day, and it's as if a regular guy had 12 hours.
An interesting fact of sleep deprivation is that if you gain it slowly (as in an hour or two less than you need each night) then it becomes increasingly difficult for the person to actually recognize that they are, in fact, sleep deprived. As a result they tend to perform worse than they could, but they don't realize that fact. (IIRC some study found that a significant portion of the working population was actually at least slightly sleep deprived, but the majority of them didn't actually realize that they were).

That said there are actually people out there who need less sleep (6-7 hours vs. 8), and many people have a bit of an extra "buffer" range where they can be slightly sleep deprived and still function just fine (especially in more intelligent people). This number, however, is far outweighed by the number of people who simply think that they don't need that much sleep but really do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 4914 4915 [4916] 4917 4918 ... 8167