Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428979 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49605 on: July 27, 2012, 01:21:55 pm »

It's not like the money is dumping into great piles and burned, people are presumably being paid to do things, which = jobs, which = economic activity...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49606 on: July 27, 2012, 01:22:19 pm »

A really quite depressing breakdown of how much the olympics are costing and what we could have spent it on instead.

huh. that site is blocked by workplace policy.

http://imgur.com/a/thxfd

I made the page into an album. Also, what do you mean by 0 hospitals? It says 8.
i dunno man, schools and hospitals are barely moving like maybe .01 percent per minute.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49607 on: July 27, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »

It's not like the money is dumping into great piles and burned, people are presumably being paid to do things, which = jobs, which = economic activity...
In the very small area around where the Olympics are occuring people are being paid to do things. Doesn't do shit for the taxpayers in the other 99% of the UK who are forking over.
*Hugs*

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49608 on: July 27, 2012, 01:25:16 pm »

I only wondered how much of my taxes are still going into Salt Lake City for that reason

edit: wait i was just told they made $40mill extra in the end that went to keep the venues still operational for the public, YAY CAPITALISM
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:28:49 pm by Tellemurius »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49609 on: July 27, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »

The money being spent on the olympics probably wouldnt have been spent on positive or useful things anyway. Its not as if money has been stolen from schools, hospitals or the armed forces. Yes, the money could have been spent on them, but instead would probably have been wasted in some other way propping up failing banks...
This is a blank sig.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49610 on: July 27, 2012, 02:54:53 pm »

Every government to have hosted the Olympics has made a net profit in taxes, due to the massively increased tourism. Besides this, the businesses in the area generally make a great deal of money as well. Far too much attention is spent looking at the cost side of equations rather than the benefits. (You see the same argument, with lower numbers, whenever a city tries to entice a minor or major league sports team. Yet, it's almost always a net positive for the area.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49611 on: July 27, 2012, 03:44:17 pm »

Yeah, the olympics make buttloads of money. Otherwise no one would want to host them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49612 on: July 27, 2012, 07:12:49 pm »

I can never seem to find a B12 D&D game before all the places are taken :(
I love running D&D games, but I'm terrible at writing adventures. Everyone I've GM'd for has told me I'm the best they've had (out of two or three; still praise). But my creativity is next to zero. So, sorry there's not another B12 D&D game going.

Wait, I see a D&D game that says "now recruiting" on the 1st page. I'm not familiar with the FGRP board, but doesn't that mean they have spots open?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49613 on: July 28, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »

Poked myself in the eye with something. Ouch.
Also: Still sick, blarg.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49614 on: July 28, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

Just found out my uncle has pancreatic cancer and will probably die within a few months... Well this turned out to be a shitty day.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49615 on: July 28, 2012, 01:54:59 pm »

Every government to have hosted the Olympics has made a net profit in taxes, due to the massively increased tourism. Besides this, the businesses in the area generally make a great deal of money as well. Far too much attention is spent looking at the cost side of equations rather than the benefits. (You see the same argument, with lower numbers, whenever a city tries to entice a minor or major league sports team. Yet, it's almost always a net positive for the area.)
Actually, it wasn't until one of them hosted in America (San Francisco or Los Angeles, can't remember which place it was that hosted it), no-one turned a profit with the olympics.
That would be SLC for the 2002 winter olympics which i found out last week that they made a net profit of $40mill at the end.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49616 on: July 28, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »

We got a lot better infrastructure out of the deal too, so even if we broke even, no one here would be complaining.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49617 on: July 28, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »

The whole deal with the two kicked out residents is leaving me rather depressed. I'm not directly affected, but the fact that it can happen combined with rumors about my department's boss (strictly speaking I dont start with them till next year, still....) are leaving my morale at an all-time low...

To make it even worse: one of the residents kicked out for arbitrary reasons was the labor medicine one, and since that's the department we're supposed to appeal to if we're undergoing workplace pressure, them subscribing to the "lets kick out people for the lulz" mentality doesnt bode well
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #49618 on: July 28, 2012, 02:53:29 pm »

I read this thread without intending to post anything. Now I am sad.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49619 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:55 pm »

I can never seem to find a B12 D&D game before all the places are taken :(
I love running D&D games, but I'm terrible at writing adventures. Everyone I've GM'd for has told me I'm the best they've had (out of two or three; still praise). But my creativity is next to zero. So, sorry there's not another B12 D&D game going.

Wait, I see a D&D game that says "now recruiting" on the 1st page. I'm not familiar with the FGRP board, but doesn't that mean they have spots open?
given how it's 130 pages long, I doubt it's starting anew.
That would likely be mine. It is mid-campaign, but players drop in and out all the time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 8167