Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9498315 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #16860 on: November 22, 2010, 09:48:49 am »

Yeah, I was massively disappointed with Civ IV: Colonization, considering the original Colonization was solid. Check out FreeCol, an open source clone of the original.
Wait, is it actually playable now?  Because I saw that years ago and it looked like total vaporware.  If it's fully functional I will play the SHIT out of that game.
Yeah, they're on version 0.95 or so, and it's been totally playable since about 2007 or so. At this stage, it's basically an exact copy of the original, but with higher res graphics.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16861 on: November 22, 2010, 11:22:32 am »

I might get called in to work today.  It's utterly freezing outside, and they haven't told me where to get my uniform yet.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16862 on: November 22, 2010, 12:15:46 pm »

For the second day in a row, I've overslept and missed my Spanish class, as has already happened about a half-dozen times.  Exam is on Wednesday.  I can't blow this.  Stands to reason I'm also less than half done with a paper I wanted (but didn't need) to have done by today, meaning I'll need to write about seven pages tonight and then burn through roughly six hours of Spanish coursework tomorrow night, right as my night-job heats up.  And then it's on to another eight-page essay that I have to do all the reading for over Thanksgiving.

And the best part is, I haven't exactly been pressed for time, even if I kinda have.  Whatever.  Ah, end of semester ennui and collapsing sense of time management, how I've missed you my old friend.

Yeah, I was massively disappointed with Civ IV: Colonization, considering the original Colonization was solid. Check out FreeCol, an open source clone of the original.
Wait, is it actually playable now?  Because I saw that years ago and it looked like total vaporware.  If it's fully functional I will play the SHIT out of that game.
Yeah, they're on version 0.95 or so, and it's been totally playable since about 2007 or so. At this stage, it's basically an exact copy of the original, but with higher res graphics.

Dudes, Civ-Evo, it's exactly like Civ 2 but with Alpha Centauri's unit design system.  And yeah, as a guy who LP'ed the original Colonization and marveled at it's borked up micromanagement, Civ4: Colonization was a fucking joke.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:17:39 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16863 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:47 pm »

Oh, Aqizzar, how I've missed your auto-lambasting.

Were you still looking to get into local politics? Because I'm still waiting for you to summarily be proclaimed the King of Texas.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16864 on: November 22, 2010, 12:38:46 pm »

Oh, Aqizzar, how I've missed your auto-lambasting.

Were you still looking to get into local politics? Because I'm still waiting for you to summarily be proclaimed the King of Texas.

The auto-lambasting is getting better.  Not that I've really stopped doing it, I've just kinda stopped caring about elucidating on my self-loathing.  It's like, ho hum I'm mad at myself about shit that happened, anyway I've got stuff to do.  I'm not sure how to describe the feeling of learning of roll with the punches, when I'm the one doing the punching.

I'm still planning to run for an office of some kind, but I'm a little up in the air on exactly when that will be.  I think most of the sub-state-level offices are only elected every four years, and they just went through the big round this time.  I got an inside look at the system and the campaigns though, and I can honestly say that I'm not regretting my choice of field.  Heck, I'm not even as interested in being elected anymore as I am in working for them - it's like being a roadie for lots of short-lived bands with money to blow, but it's respectable and the road-trim doesn't have STDs.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16865 on: November 22, 2010, 12:53:56 pm »

it's like being a roadie for lots of short-lived bands with money to blow, but it's respectable and the road-trim doesn't have STDs.

So freakin' sigged.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16866 on: November 22, 2010, 01:00:03 pm »

Bleugh. Math test today. No preparation whatsoever even after deciding that the weekend would be a study one. And even now I'm blowing studying three hours before it to post here.

And honestly, deep within I like math. The thrill of figuring stuff out yourself, the sudden realization of everything working together elegantly, the system smoothly going through the crunch. It's just everything surrounding Math that gets to me. The mandatory hours of doing problems, the trick questions, the tests and quizzes making me nervous, the missing of a vital piece of information for solving a problem, the one-shot nature of answering problems. I know most of these are unavoidable, but it's always those things that trip me up and never the actual math.
 And then there is studying. There is an online program that I use to do homework and submit it digitally through this program. I can never bring myself to start working on it. The few times I do I do around five questions, get into the groove and find myself doing twenty extra problems I didn't have to do. It's just starting that's killing me here, and I don't know why this is such a huge issue for me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16867 on: November 22, 2010, 01:02:34 pm »

Had a very short dream in which my elderly and a bit senile grandfather had wandered his way to my apartment. He was confused, and spoke in half-finished sentences, before nearly collapsing. I caught him and tried to help him up, and then with all the strength he could muster, he then began attempting to crush my windpipe, with a look of panic on his face. It was an extremely tactile dream... his hands felt old and shakey... the skin a bit loose and softened with age, and his joints heavily articulated. It hurt terribly too, and I felt as though I physically couldn't breath.

I got his hands off my throat, and he then fell to his knees and started sobbing. Between the most wretched, suffering sobs I've ever heard, he said how much he missed me, and how nothing made any sense to him anymore; how everything was like a dream. I just held him for a bit, and then woke up.

I have no idea where it came from, but I woke up feeling terrible. I never want to be that old.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16868 on: November 22, 2010, 02:10:16 pm »

For the second day in a row, I've overslept and missed my Spanish class, as has already happened about a half-dozen times.  Exam is on Wednesday.  I can't blow this.  Stands to reason I'm also less than half done with a paper I wanted (but didn't need) to have done by today, meaning I'll need to write about seven pages tonight and then burn through roughly six hours of Spanish coursework tomorrow night, right as my night-job heats up.  And then it's on to another eight-page essay that I have to do all the reading for over Thanksgiving.

And the best part is, I haven't exactly been pressed for time, even if I kinda have.  Whatever.  Ah, end of semester ennui and collapsing sense of time management, how I've missed you my old friend.

I feel your pain. I am also tight on exam scheudles (I start the 2nd of december), and been somewhat lazy, even though I have been doing quite a bit of work in at least one subject.

Situation is not yet out of control, though. I have 10 days to prepare stuff, and a decent ammount of time between exams. And one of the five exams I have, I have done throughly the last weeks.

For that matter, I passed a much tougher subject than any of the ones I have now by studying in the three days prior the pps's we got in class
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16869 on: November 22, 2010, 02:12:11 pm »

I'd vote Aqizzar, if...you know, I wasn't in the wrong state.

"What are your positions?"
"Look at my manly chin!"

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16870 on: November 22, 2010, 02:25:02 pm »

I had what may be a brilliant idea, but I utterly lack the schooling in physics and engineering to know if it's actually a bright idea or just a pipe dream.

Anybody out there an expert in electrohydrodynamics?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16871 on: November 22, 2010, 02:31:32 pm »

I'd vote Aqizzar, if...you know, I wasn't in the wrong state.

"What are your positions?"
"Look at my manly chin!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maz9Sda4j_s
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16872 on: November 22, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »

I had what may be a brilliant idea, but I utterly lack the schooling in physics and engineering to know if it's actually a bright idea or just a pipe dream.

Since when do you need an expert to get your dreams ridiculed? This is the internet, we've got wikipedia, rudimentary knowledge of high school physics, and overblown egos. We can handle your idea anytime.
Don't forget to post it in the Life Advice.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16873 on: November 22, 2010, 03:22:53 pm »

Since when do you need an expert to get your dreams ridiculed? This is the internet, we've got wikipedia, rudimentary knowledge of high school physics, and overblown egos. We can handle your idea anytime.
Don't forget to post it in the Life Advice.

Yeah, I've spent the last two hours skimming through Wiki to suss out the requisite equations. I'm already seeing some of the engineering challenges (and hey, now I finally understand the whole volts/amperes/watts thing), but I'm still trying to figure out if the end result would be worth the technical hurdles....

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16874 on: November 22, 2010, 03:23:47 pm »

If you want hypocritical verbal lambasting, we can do that to.

Actually, we'll do that even if you don't want it.
Pages: 1 ... 1123 1124 [1125] 1126 1127 ... 8168