Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 34103 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2009, 06:00:36 pm »

Well the idea with the downloadable content is, among other things, to encourage consumers to buy their games new instead of used as Bioware and EA obviously don't see a dime of profit from used game sales.
Can't really fault them for that, I'd want people to buy my games from me too if I were making games.

All things considered, I'd say Bioware is handling their evil overlord parent company fairly well and still offering their fans good deals.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 02:54:45 pm »

The fact that there's additional DLC available for purchase bugs me because either:
1. The game is gimped so we can buy the rest separately and will suck until we blow about $200 on it.
2. The game is developed by multiple developers at the same time and will likely be incoherent and suck.
They are both red flag when it comes to purchase decisions.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 03:02:01 pm »

Personally, the whole existence of DLC breaks the fourth wall for me.

"YOU WANT SOMETHING COOL, HAND OVER 5 DOLLARS. NO, NOT THE 'IN GAME' CURRENCY, I WANT THE REAL DEAL!"
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2009, 03:58:42 pm »

Well the idea with the downloadable content is, among other things, to encourage consumers to buy their games new instead of used as Bioware and EA obviously don't see a dime of profit from used game sales.

Fine, cut 20$ off the sale price, sell it for 40 bucks, and release 20 bucks with of DLC at the same time.

I'm perfectly ok with that.

Problem I've had with DLC is that it's all outside the flow of the game.  You're already max level, with all the 'cool' powers at the end of the game.  DLC comes out a month later, you're playing through it with a max level character (or they boost the level and come up with some jackass game breaking powers to give you... Fallout 3, I'm looking at you)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:14 pm »

Firstly, I'll say that I like downloadable content, as it prolongs the playing time of games that I like and it's completely voluntary. If you don't want it, don't get it.

And to paraphrase several Bioware team members on the DA:O forums, the DLC being ready at game launch is a unique situation and not one they planned as such. The DLC was developed by a different in-house team and was planned for a later release.
But then the game was delayed and instead of delaying the DLC they added Stone Prisoner, which was originally going to be priced, to the game for free and Wardens Keep will be available from day 1.

Honestly, I prefer it that way. Downloadable content can be annoying if you've already completed a game and know you wont be playing it again for a long time

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2009, 04:25:02 pm »

I hate how even on these relatively intelligent forums there are still so many people that are completely ignorant to

A) How a company works.

B) How much Bioware actually cares about there players to even do this.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »

In a capitalist society, 'Business' and 'Ethics' do not coexist. They exist in spite of each other.

That being said, I won't be buying this game, or any game made in the past three years, until I get a better computer.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 08:46:12 pm »

In a capitalist society, 'Business' and 'Ethics' do not coexist. They exist in spite of each other.

That being said, I won't be buying this game, or any game made in the past three years, until I get a better computer.

DF 0.21.93.19a (August 8, 2006)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:38 pm »

DF 0.21.93.19a (August 8, 2006)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2009, 11:26:40 am »

You know, people say, "Don't complain about games until you going to play them" Well, I'm going to be playing Dragon Age: Flash Edition on the computer, so I am going to complain.

Dragons are boring. Who wants to watch an overweight lizard breathe fire? I don't. Most people don't. EA doesn't, they know showcasing dragons will bring down ratings. Bioware understands this, that's why there are no dragons. But then why call the game Dragon Age...if it isn't about dragons?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 04:41:33 pm »

Interestingly enough I remember that was explained when Game Informer made it their cover article, but now I can't find that issue...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 04:47:23 pm »

I think it was explained that the people called their ages based on an important event, and so "Dragon Age" is called that because the most important event in that age has something to do with a Dragon. Yet I have not seen an Dragon in all the promotional stuff I seen (which is, admittingly, not a lot). We see assassinations, reproduction, complex moral delimmas dealing with ancient relics, but no dragons.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 06:03:42 pm »

I believe it was meant plot-wise. According to their Wiki, dragons are only intelligent if possessed by a demon. So, it's unlikely that dragons are going to be a driving force of the game, since they would be lacking in intelligence. Seems like it would have been more accurately called "Demon Age", not to say that dragons don't exist in the game, they just don't appear to be important characters to the story. Also, was I the only one that was unimpressed with the "sacred ashes" trailer? Seriously, replace those darkspawn with orcs and the dragon with a mumakil, and you pretty much have the Return of the King movie.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 06:07:32 pm »

No doubt what they were going for.

My thought right now is that EA is going to stain the ads more than the game, so I'd still not shun it until I've seen a review (or better, an opinion from some bay12ers or other people I know share my interests).

In other words, it might just be EA marketing it as sex-and-violence-o-rama. Which of course is, as a cornerstone of a game, as casual as it gets. But I doubt Bioware has gone totally casual.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23