Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Steam  (Read 3253 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Steam
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 06:54:15 pm »

DFC (the Dwarf Fortress Community), its the B12's semi official steam group. We have a TF2 server and stuff.
Someone should create a TF2 map based off of a dwarven fortress, filled with magma if possible.

Somebody mentioned working on something like that. If I remember correctly, it was Jakkarra. Maybe not. Check through the TF2 thread to find it.

[PRE-POST EDIT:] My Steam is working, Soulwynd. There is an update, though.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 08:49:03 pm »

Get 1 source game, you'll get a ton of fun mods. Steam is good if you can avoid malware,Have a second computer to go to sites with ads.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 08:57:40 pm »

I didn't realize there were so many paranoid people on these forums. Is this a new kind of youth fad? Next thing we know, these guys go apeshit berserk when the movie "2012" comes out.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 09:01:33 pm »

Oh yeah, add random downtime to the list.

*points at steam at the moment*

=p

Working fine for me, this is just your issue :P

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 08:19:28 am »

Until you get your account stolen and try to recover it.

You'd blame Ford if you jumped infront of a moving F-truck and got injured?

You have to be, no offence, pretty bloody careless to get your account stolen.
Magma is overrated.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 08:57:33 am »

Don't support the monopoly!

Really :8

Take a look at their most powerful competitor, Impulse.

For things to work right in a free-market society, we need competition. So support Impulse when you can, people!

That's a stupid reason to support Impulse in my opinion. If we all supported the competition because it was the competition, the competition would become the strongest. We would then have to support the other competition, and keep switching between services so they don't get more powerful than another, and can't advance.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 09:14:13 am »

Take a look at their most powerful competitor, Impulse.
That's a stupid reason to support Impulse in my opinion.

I agree it's a stupid reason to support impulse, however impulse is a customer friendly steam-like so I recommend you support it anyway :)

My only problem with impulse is they have sod all content, I always check their first but most times they don't have what I want so I have to use steam.

I guess officially I should be pro-steam, but we can't help who we work for ;)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 09:18:49 am »

Until you get your account stolen and try to recover it.

You'd blame Ford if you jumped infront of a moving F-truck and got injured?

You have to be, no offence, pretty bloody careless to get your account stolen.
Nice comparison....

I for one wouldnt even blame ford the horrible state we put the world in, I blame every [insert within-the-boundaries-insult] that thinks the internal combustion engine ever was a good idea.... (yeah, I know, ford isnt related to the invention of the IC engine)

Either way, steam is a BIT weird, isnt it, as you have to go an extra length to hide your account name, which, lets face it, is already half the login data. And since, in theory, you could put A LOT of money into one steam account, thats just not right.

Steam might be convenient. But I think people should never forget how this, only a few years ago, was considered an insult to the customers. And to be fair, it still is. STEAM is just the same crap that EA and the other guys are pulling on us. Use its features, enjoy it, im fine with that. But never stop complaining.

STEAM is gabe newells way of being evil. He IS kinda cute at it, but it's still evil!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 09:42:00 am »

I see not the resentment on the parctices of Steam. I lend my sympathy to people with bugs as those are things that crop up with a program like this, but to use Impulse just because it is the competition is stupid. We don't buy from the competition to make the market better. We buy the better product to make the market better.That is how it works. Steam does something right, you use it. Steam doesn't so something right, you don't use it. None of this uying from the competition in order to provide competition crap. If they provide a product worth our money then they don't need our help.

I like Steam. It has some rather crazy sales on Valve games.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 09:44:55 am »

I prefer a physical copy of a game or a version from Good Old Games (GOG). If neither are available then I can go with Steam. Not saying I hate Steam, however.

I find GOG's releases to be of magnificent quality. No DRM, virtually identical to the original release (so mods and such should work flawlessly) -- it's all you could want. Of course, it's only for... Old Games.

Steam can make unofficial modding difficult, which is my primary concern, and also the number of problems I've had with it; a gift for friend took about a month of on/off attempts to make it work, for instance, and another had a ton of issues playing offline.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 09:49:10 am »

I see not the resentment on the parctices of Steam. I lend my sympathy to people with bugs as those are things that crop up with a program like this, but to use Impulse just because it is the competition is stupid. We don't buy from the competition to make the market better. We buy the better product to make the market better.That is how it works. Steam does something right, you use it. Steam doesn't so something right, you don't use it. None of this uying from the competition in order to provide competition crap. If they provide a product worth our money then they don't need our help.

I like Steam. It has some rather crazy sales on Valve games.
But where does it lead to? The crazy sales come from the effectiveness of the distribution method, forcing other publishers to go the same way or be just not competitive. This can go two ways:

You have to use one of those nasty 3rd party steam clones like impulse for EVERY publishing company you plan to purchase from - or they manage to standardize their platforms so you can use only one client. I wouldnt call that "opening another can of worms" but "happily diving into the worm barrel-stockpile and asking for more".

And dont forget steam doesnt exist for your convenience but to keep you from pirating. Personally I hate it when soulless pieces of technology manage to imply an insult.

And last but not least: even if everybody has net connection, I TOTALLY resent where the recent development has gone to. You noticed how companies cut back on QC because you just can patch it later? STEAM doesnt really favour offline customers.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:52:04 am by Puck »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 10:04:18 am »

You have to use one of those nasty 3rd party steam clones like impulse for EVERY publishing company you plan to purchase from - or they manage to standardize their platforms so you can use only one client. I wouldnt call that "opening another can of worms" but "happily diving into the worm barrel-stockpile and asking for more".

And dont forget steam doesnt exist for your convenience but to keep you from pirating. Personally I hate it when soulless pieces of technology manage to imply an insult.

Although Impulse is a steam clone it's hardly nasty, I'd prefer if everyone used that to steam (by everyone I mean publishers in this case) because it doesn't tie you to some random DRM and will run games while offline and even let you export them to another machine with minimal hassle.

Not as good as having the DVD but recently all DVD games punish you by making you have the DVD just to start the damn thing. (And yes this is another example of how 'protection' punishes only those that pay for the software)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:31:37 am by Shades »
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 10:22:48 am »

Although Impulse is a steam clone it's hardly nasty
Once you'd have one of those for every publishing company you brought from running in the background, you'd call it nasty, too, I guess ;)

Also, I never was sayin disc protection is any better or "boycott steam" or anything. It just bugs me that people blindly accept it without even spending a single thought on the colonoscopy side of such approaches.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:56 am »

Once you'd have one of those for every publishing company you brought from running in the background, you'd call it nasty, too, I guess ;)

There is that :) but I'll stick at two, one which I think is good (Impulse) and the other which is popular (Steam) and avoid that particular problem.

Also, I never was sayin disc protection is any better or "boycott steam" or anything. It just bugs me that people blindly accept it without even spending a single thought on the colonoscopy side of such approaches.

I apologise, I never meant to imply you thought that, I was just ranting about disc protection as it was in the same vein as my line of thought.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 10:34:30 am »

...run games while offline and even let you export them to another machine with minimal hassle.

Not as good as having the DVD but recently all DVD games punish you by making you have the DVD just to start the damn thing. (And yes this is another example of how 'protection' punishes only those that pay for the software)
Steam has an offline mode, and you can copy the game data to a flash drive or disk and dump it in the steamapps folder on another computer, and tell steam to install it; it checks the folder, finds all the files, and marks it as installed (or just download it from their servers and install it, if that's easier...). And yes, fuck dvd checks.

That said, since the last patch to the client, I have trouble connecting with it, so I can't even activate the offline mode D: .
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4