Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 64097 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2017, 05:05:18 pm »

There HAS to be something in the Bible forbidding necromancy.
There are quite a lot of proof-texts in the Bible forbidding necromancy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2017, 07:39:33 pm »

There HAS to be something in the Bible forbidding necromancy.
There are quite a lot of proof-texts in the Bible forbidding necromancy.

Necromancy raising the dead or Necromancy Fortune Telling?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2017, 07:42:58 pm »

Wow this thread necro..........

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2017, 10:06:44 pm »

Raising the dead is associated with prophets and miracle-workers in the bible, it's a good thing.

Necromancy as in dead-speaking is forbidden in a few places.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2017, 11:03:46 pm »

I'm not sure if it's entirely a thing that dates back, but at least modern evangelicals have related to speaking with the dead a genuine conceptually cool doctrine: The familiar spirit.

The idea is that you can't actually speak with the dead, saved or damned God has put them beyond the range of the mortal world. However, the devil finds a work-around to this in the form of the familiar spirit. Essentially, one or two demons are assigned to follow you around and watch you, constantly, birth to death. Their only job is to pay attention to you and learn everything they can about you as a person. That way, after you die, if a living person should happen to call on your spirit, instead the familiar spirit can answer and pretend to be you. They will, of course, only give answers that advance the cause of the devil.

This is generally given as the explanation for why in the Bible the Witch of Endor is able to summon the spirit of Samuel even though he was a prophet of God. Personally though, I prefer the interpretation where the witch is fraudulent but God raises Samuel's spirit anyway, as it makes her freaking the hell out when an actual fucking ghost appears while she's doing her thing hilarious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2017, 11:10:26 pm »

Wait, the forest moon of Endor is named after a biblical figure? I thought Lucas made up the name.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2017, 11:14:01 pm »

The witch of endor? Didn't she raise the spirit of some prophet and then get subsequently cursed?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2017, 11:21:49 pm »

The witch of endor? Didn't she raise the spirit of some prophet and then get subsequently cursed?

That's what MSH said, minus the cursed part. Wiki doesn't say anything about a curse though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:43 pm »

Here is the relevent verses
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Samuel+28%3A3-25&version=KJV

No curse for her, but king Saul does get some very very bad news. Might be what I was partially remembering. Basically, Samuel first rebukes Saul for daring to summon him, especially since God has been refusing his calls, then tells him that basically the big G is seriously pissed, and has decided that Saul is just going to have to die for his disobedience. Him AND his sons.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2017, 11:30:13 pm »

And so, Saul went to the forest moon of Endor.

lol.

Also, if we're going to take over this thread as a new 'religion' thread, the OP hasn't been around for almost five years, so, theres nobody that can change the thread title.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2017, 09:00:21 am »

Couldn't be bothered to find the other religious thread so i simply post my question here...its probably been asked to death but oh well:

It's basically common knowledge by now that muslims can't (or shouldn't) eat pork. Pigs being considered "unclean" and all that. I know the whys and whats but i have a how question.

So if we go by scripture or orthodox opinion held by whatever religious authorities there might be, how is the entire pig question handled?

What happens if a Muslim eats pork? He becomes unclean yes. But what does that mean in practice? Is he now tainted until all eternity and goes to hell? Or does he have to do some kind of penance or cleansing ritual? Or is it more like "Yo man, don't do that." and thats to that?

How about other ways of coming into contact with pig or pork? Is handling pigs and pork (for example by working in a butchery) allowed? What about pig fat? because i read something about the Brits getting into trouble with colonials because the bullets (which at that time where a paper casing with the right amount of blackpowder and a bullet in it) where kept dry with pig fat and since the soldiers (which apparently where of muslim belief) had to bite the bullet...that kind of led to problems.

I hope those questions are not offensive or anything, i'm mostly just curious how that is handled among devout Muslims in general. Back in the day i had a few muslim classmates which i asked similiar questions but they were not very devout or religious and couldn't really give me a proper answer beyond "man, we don't thats all i know."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2017, 09:30:20 am »

I claim this, one of many religion threads, in the name of the Railgun.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2017, 10:33:16 am »

What happens if a Muslim eats pork? He becomes unclean yes. But what does that mean in practice? Is he now tainted until all eternity and goes to hell? Or does he have to do some kind of penance or cleansing ritual? Or is it more like "Yo man, don't do that." and thats to that?

How about other ways of coming into contact with pig or pork? Is handling pigs and pork (for example by working in a butchery) allowed? What about pig fat? because i read something about the Brits getting into trouble with colonials because the bullets (which at that time where a paper casing with the right amount of blackpowder and a bullet in it) where kept dry with pig fat and since the soldiers (which apparently where of muslim belief) had to bite the bullet...that kind of led to problems.

I'm not a Muslim myself, but I've asked before working with pig-derived proteins with my Muslim colleagues before, so here's what I know:

The eating of pork is haram (forbidden) except in cases of necessity, which is usually interpreted to mean starvation but could theoretically be interpreted to allow Muslims to take medications created from pigs. That said, it's not some kind of soul-destroying toxin. Pigs are unclean, yes, and they and their corpses and components thereof should not be touched, but Islamic hygenical jurisprudence already covers how to handle contact with unclean things since it assumes everyone's unclean prior to ablution, and Islam allows for sin to be forgiven through tawbah, or genuine repentance (i.e. not a deathbed conversion type of thing.)

So, per the Quran, they have to do the cleansing ritual they already do routinely, and in the case of deliberate contact have to ask for forgiveness and do good deeds to make up for it. Obviously all this varies by sect and individual interpretation, though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2017, 12:20:01 pm »

I claim this, one of many religion threads, in the name of the Railgun.
The Railgun Cabal approves.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »

Ah thanks Trekkin, that clears up a lot :D
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20