Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Religious people, make yourselves known!  (Read 64095 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religious people, make yourselves known!
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2009, 12:34:14 pm »

Norse Pagan in a "whatever the hell I want Norse Pagan to mean" kinda way. The other day I performed a ritual to cleanse the evil spirit of a building (it was an evil building) and it worked. Was quite the battle, though, it fought back hard.

AND I'm not kidding. I performed a ritual against a spirit, and it attacked me and my attending clansman to try to protect itself. But we persevered and defeated it. 100% truth.

Damn and I thought I was the only one here, same as you, I am  a norse-pagan, my whole family is, and we are the real deal, descended directly from the norse, my mother has our families heirloom runes, my gradfather has his great-great-great-great... and a few more great's grandfather's helm, we keep it in a museum though we still own it, I think we are ONE of the last traced and documented descendant families of the Norse, last-name's Warburton, the village of Warburton burned down not long ago (20 years or something)...
Nom nom nom

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2009, 03:14:27 pm »

I'm an acceptasist.  :P

I religiously believe that multi god-like forces created and currently control everything in multi time spacial existance and accepts the way everything and me the way it is.

Godlike forces dont need names so they dont have any.
Sounds like an alternative theory of mine. If other gods do exist; then like man, they are stewards of the cosmos (as designated by God); as we with the Earth. Basically, it's a really big complex game of DF, but with the ability to micromanage other races, while letting them manage the forts themselves and etc. So I guess God is worldgen according to this theory; as are Lesser gods the raws, and archangels and such are players; and mankind, and other sentient races the other races generated and commanded via designations.

Mods and such are parallel/perpendicular (depending on how much the game, or the engine is adjusted) dimensions and so forth.

I think I accidentally just merged this topic with a different one already made before. Armokism. Or God's mind is equivalent to DF.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:17:55 pm by Itnetlolor »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2017, 11:26:50 am »

Christian, Presbyterian.
Has _DivideByZero_ posted in this thread? I want to find out why he has that verse in his signature.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:10 am »

There HAS to be something in the Bible forbidding necromancy.

But since we're here, I have been getting more in touch with my New Age/Buddhist side. I try to lean towards skepticism, though, and have been analysing my beliefs in the supernatural more and being more scientific. As in, I don't really do "magic" anymore and I'm really just sitting still and breathing deeply, which is not fully proven to solve all your problems but it sure as hell feels like it does.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:30:34 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2017, 11:35:50 am »

I'm a spirist, essentialy christianity with reincarnation, ghosts and  some necromancy, making it the best kind of christianity.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2017, 11:48:19 am »

Idk, I'm stuck somewhere between Atheistic Existentialism and Absurdism.

EDIT: also holy shit this thread is ancient.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2017, 12:33:18 pm »

As in, I don't really do "magic" anymore and I'm really just sitting still and breathing deeply, which is not fully proven to solve all your problems but it sure as hell feels like it does.
Not all problems, but it's definitely been found to have a handful of medical and psychological benefits.

... and I guess if I'm going to decorate the corpse, I'd repeat that I'm probably closest to an irreligious apatheist, that also happens to have an aesthetic appreciation for theology. Don't particularly like organized religion in general and I don't think the question of the divine actually matters, but I find that the concept structures theologians create to try to explain and/or systematize religious belief can be pretty, for lack of a particularly better word.

Not necessarily beautiful or somethin' -- it's idle amusement at best, really -- but at least on par with amateur art of middling skill, which is nice enough. Even if I don't agree with conclusions or presumptions involved it's still neat to see how folks put 'em together to end up with religious precepts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2017, 01:57:45 pm »

Do you *want* a thermonuclear flame war? Because that is how you get a thermonuclear flame war.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »

Christian, specifically Latter Day Saint.

It would be interesting to see the current distribution of religious belief on these forums; it's been a while since we've had a poll on it. Unfortunately the owner of this thread hasn't been around for ~5 years.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2017, 02:32:07 pm »

Do you *want* a thermonuclear flame war? Because that is how you get a thermonuclear flame war.
Eh, it's a weird thing. I wasn't trying to say theology is objectively that level of thing, just that that's about the level I personally enjoy it. Was trying to make sure it was fairly clear I was talkin' about my personal interaction or whatev', though looking at it now I can see how it would be interpreted otherwise. It's also a statement about specifically theology, in the academic sense.

I enjoy reading theological treatise at about the same level I enjoy going through a middle/high school art festival thing, just with less annoyance from being outside in florida weather, basically. I'm not saying they're at the same level of quality or objective value or actual skill involved or anything like that, just that my aesthetic appreciation of them is about on the same level. A solid but not amazing gallery of paintings is about as engaging to me as, say, the Summa Theologica. They're both pretty.

And hell, I come from a fairly artist heavy family. Don't mind going to those sorts of art presentations for entertainment purposes and junk. Middling skill when it comes to that kind of art isn't somethin' I'd really talk down at, usually, particularly if I'm actually talking legitimately middling -- middle of the road -- skill and not throwing shade at somethin'.

Understand how folks more invested in theology or religious stuff in general could take it otherwise, but the comparison seriously isn't intended as an insult or condescension or somethin'. Just tryin' to be open about the degree of engagement I get with the stuff, despite having little metaphysical or practical synch with religion.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »

I recently split off from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and formed the Church of the Flying Macaroni Monster. After first having to chase off the flock of French aspirant members who thought that it was the Flying Macron Monster and wanted to join, I am now completely at peace, trying to figure out a way how to make macaroni stick to an upside down sift, without disturbing the harmony of the red sauce.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2017, 03:02:36 pm »

Because we obviously need a third religion thread.

Anyway, said it before but repeating for the sake of the thread: I'm Discordian. My stance on Eris' existence is somewhat agnostic. While I think it'd nice if she exists, I wouldn't be terribly bothered if it turned out otherwise since Discordianism doesn't really depend on the existence of its deity and I'm not given to prayer anyway since I'd rather solve my own problems rather than wait until some higher being handles it for me.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2017, 03:43:02 pm »

Hey, if we're going to talk about one of history's primary causes of sectarian conflict, it's thematically (if nothing else) appropriate to have multiple threads :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2017, 03:57:41 pm »

Hey, if we're going to talk about one of history's primary causes of sectarian conflict, it's thematically (if nothing else) appropriate to have multiple threads :V
Should I sharpen my sword and start yelling about Deus Vult and Jihads?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2017, 04:17:50 pm »

I have faith that this thread can survive.  As an Archivist (half-joking) that would mean a lot to me.

I am (still) a dubious believer in fairies.  That wouldn't even be a religion, except that I don't think there are any sentience above them. 

The fey (as I understand/define them) would be masters of all things small and insignificant.

They would be undetectable and un-disprovable by definition.  In fact that's basically all they are.  It would be fair to say that I worship the unknown, and seek to understand it.  And in the meantime, to *appease it*, as best I can with my meager-but-growing understanding.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20