Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Spartan training program for children?  (Read 9693 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Re: Spartan training program for children?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 08:32:20 pm »

I don't think children can get exp in any skills other than the social ones, swimmer and grower.

Anyway, dwarves that have a few legendary skills (even mental ones such as the social skills) usually sky-rocket to legendary wrestlers in less than a season in my fortress.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 08:52:01 pm »

The only child in my current fort has dabbling wrestler; no idea how that happened.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 08:55:48 pm »

So, since we have the whole getting kids to train thing somewhat understood, how do we get kids to stray into some place where we can take them hostage?  Can we assign kids beds?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 09:00:39 pm »

I've never seen an adult get hurt by a Macaques.  My wood cutter dwarves always mop the floor with them, (admittedly with an axe) so how hard would it be for a child to do it?

Do children have negative modifiers?

I've lost soldiers to macaques early on. Those monkeys can be vicious in numbers, four of them piled onto a low-skill wrestler and one bit his throat out. I've also had them kill war dogs many times. Don't underestimate the monkeys man, they're dangerous.

However, a crippled wild animal might work to train the children a little.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 09:39:46 pm »

So, since we have the whole getting kids to train thing somewhat understood, how do we get kids to stray into some place where we can take them hostage?  Can we assign kids beds?
Yes, you can, babies even.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 01:44:41 am »

I'm not sure if I even like the idea of having kids make all sorts of friends through socializing.  What's the first thing that happens when a few of my Spartans with tons of friends dies?  I think you get the idea.

Do you get stats from skilling up in hauling? Do kids haul? If so, maybe I could have two rooms: one with rocks and another that's empty.  I will lock the kids in there and demand that the rocks be stockpiled down the hall.  Once in a while I shall pit violent animals in there at varying degrees of health.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 04:46:18 am »

Nope, hauling doesn't give any skill-ups whatsoever. I'm unsure what kids will do when they have the option. Perhaps somebody needs to lock a child alone in a room with all possible labours accessible and ordered and see which ones they will complete. I suspect it comes down to hauling, harvesting and planting.

What about this: a room with a child involved in repeated hauling (or some other activity to occupy them), connected by a hallway to a 5-deep pit. The hallway is 1-wide, lined with a few weapon traps full of low quality hammers. Hopefully the fall and the hammers break enough bones that the creature is injured but not rendered unconscious, so that the child can defeat it. I expect progress would be painfully slow, but at least it gives you a Spartan feel.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 05:17:35 am »

Hmm.... They could pick up legendary grower, at the very least.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 07:35:20 am »

Yeah, but no non-social skills.
Farming's a social skill? ???
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 07:59:54 am »

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT IT IS

Yeah let me amend that to "no non-social skills except farming."
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 10:22:05 am »

Can't children deconstruct stuff too?

Try building some walls then locking the kids in and ordering them to deconstruct them.  I'm not sure if this trains mining or masonry.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:42 am »

Deconstructing trains nothing, just like constructing.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:14 am »

dump them in a 1x1 pit add food,drink,small creatures for fun/skills
i.e.Dark Gnomes,Foxes,Gazelles,gibbons, any thing small and weakish
keep the numbers 2/3-1 to stop dwarf deaths.
only keep the numbers 3-4 or a bad spell of deaths will make for a lot tantrums
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 01:02:04 pm »

dump them in a 1x1 pit add food,drink,small creatures for fun/skills
i.e.Dark Gnomes,Foxes,Gazelles,gibbons, any thing small and weakish
keep the numbers 2/3-1 to stop dwarf deaths.
only keep the numbers 3-4 or a bad spell of deaths will make for a lot tantrums

Maybe lock them all up in an area by themselves and let them become friends with each other.  Then drop in enough creatures to ensure that a couple of them get killed.  This will cause tantrumming/fist fights to simulate them doing combat amongst themselves.  The ones that survive this stage and/or don't go insane are the only ones fit for life as a dwarf.  I suspect very few will make it.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 01:26:59 pm »

Maybe lock them all up in an area by themselves and let them become friends with each other.  Then drop in enough creatures to ensure that a couple of them get killed.  This will cause tantrumming/fist fights to simulate them doing combat amongst themselves.  The ones that survive this stage and/or don't go insane are the only ones fit for life as a dwarf.  I suspect very few will make it.
Who survives tantrums has a lot to do with personality, too, so you'd basically be artificially selecting for the most hardcore S.O.Bs around
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4