Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reducing the amount of stone  (Read 1949 times)

Shazzar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reducing the amount of stone
« on: September 30, 2009, 05:52:14 pm »

I'm sure it's been asked before, and I realize there are ways to deal with it (Melt that stone mod, creating a trash "chute" etc.) but is there any way to mod the raws to reduce the amount of stone dropped while digging?

I really hate digging out new rooms that i plan to make into stockpiles, only to have 90% of the tiles occupied by chunks of stone that must then be hauled away. The only effective solution ive found so far is a suggestion i read in the forums a while ago that involves a garbage chute that stone is tossed down into, or to simply build temporary workshops inside the room and order the production of stone items.

And yes, i searched the wiki and found nothing. (Although I'm sure someone is going to post saying "You didnt search hard enough, heres the link, the wiki is your friend, etc. etc.  =P")

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing the amount of stone
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:06:59 pm »

I think it would be cool to break a stone down into a bag of sand. Maybe one of those new workshops! :)
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Shazzar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:20:19 pm »

Now thats not a bad idea. Once the next release comes out, one could mod a trash compactor workshop that could be used for smashing stone hehe.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:23:07 pm »

Is it possible to make a reaction using any stone and give no product?
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:29:16 pm »

Is it possible to make a reaction using any stone and give no product?

Yes at the smelter. I am not sure its possible to make it so it does not require fuel however.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Shazzar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:38:46 pm »

So, does anyone know if its possible to decrease the "rate" of stone drops, and if so, what values in the raws must be changed?

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:39 pm »

Not that I can see looking at the matgloss_stone files. Possibly related to SOLID_DENSITY, but http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Matgloss_tokens dosn't say anything about it.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:54:48 pm »

This is how I deal with extra stone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have specific reactions aside that require specific types of these metals, so I have conversion between the metals:

Here are the metals themselves.

And here are my modded-game-specific reactions that use these metals. You can alter these to fit your game if you choose to use them.

The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Shazzar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 02:27:01 am »

This is how I deal with extra stone.

I have specific reactions aside that require specific types of these metals, so I have conversion between the metals:

Here are the metals themselves.

And here are my modded-game-specific reactions that use these metals. You can alter these to fit your game if you choose to use them.

That looks very interesting, and if you have the time, I've got a few questions:

#1 - Does each step require fuel? (coal or coke i assume?)

#2 - Is all of this part of a mod I could download? If not, can I simply add the entries to the bottom of the correct raw files?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:35:15 am »

If it doesn't have [FUEL], it doesn't require any fuel.

You can add all those lines to the end of reaction_standard.txt but you will have to regenerate a world for the new reactions to appear.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shazzar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 02:44:17 am »

If it doesn't have [FUEL], it doesn't require any fuel.

You can add all those lines to the end of reaction_standard.txt but you will have to regenerate a world for the new reactions to appear.

Excellent, thanks a lot my friend. My current system can gen worlds rediculously fast (less than a minute, compared to about 5 minutes on my old laptop) so I think It's time again for a new world. =D  Although I loved the random name of my current world: "The Realm of Portents"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 05:05:23 am »

Why don't you throw them into magma/flood your fortress in magma/turn them into magma?

Or if you want a real solution, build an Atom crasher.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 08:22:09 am »

#2 - Is all of this part of a mod I could download? If not, can I simply add the entries to the bottom of the correct raw files?

Not a released mod, I created it for my personal use. My game is a compilation of several mods (including Dig Deeper, Rysith's Orcs, Age of Heroes, and recently the Murlocs) with many things stripped out and slimmed from there, but the only original modding I did myself were those conversions. In fact, they were my first real attempt at modding.

I mean, I could release my game mod as a simple "mod compilation" which includes mine, but I'm not quite done yet. I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in over a month because I use every spare minute that I don't have internet access to continue slimming down the mod, checking for repeats and bad tags, making lists to organize, figuring out what the heck Nodachis and Kettle Helmets are (two-handed katana-ish swords and those shallow WW1 helmets). After I finish the entity files, I'll still need extensive playtesting for myself to see how often it crashes, if there's too much overload, if the murlocs kill everything too easily, if anything's unbalanced like material values or weapon damage.

And then, when it's finally to a playable quality, I'll release it and the next DF version will be out, rendering most of my work fruitless. The end.

The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:49:49 am »

Atom Smashers and Garbage Pits o' Magma are nice, but it still requires a lot of designation and a lot hauling. Thus alot of path-finding. Being able to have the miner's break up lose rocks, or having them not created in the first place would be a large benefit to my frame rate and workforce.

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 02:05:04 pm »

Atom Smashers and Garbage Pits o' Magma are nice, but it still requires a lot of designation and a lot hauling. Thus alot of path-finding. Being able to have the miner's break up lose rocks, or having them not created in the first place would be a large benefit to my frame rate and workforce.

Agree. I've always found it strange that Legendary miners create the most stone, when most players want the opposite. Once a miner reaches Legendary, you should be able to toggle -

- Create maximum stone.
- Create medium stone.
- Create minimum stone.

I mean, they are LEGENDARY after all. It stands to reason that they might pick up a few tricks to mine out large areas without leaving hundreds of stones behind...
Pages: [1] 2