Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reducing the amount of stone  (Read 1945 times)

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing the amount of stone
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 02:52:35 pm »

I don't know if this is possible, but perhaps you could create a new [d]esignate [n]ostone order that would effectively be just like the normal [d]ig but would not leave any stone.

It might not be the easiest to code but it sure would be efficient and easy to use.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 03:42:29 pm »

That could work, But I'm sure we can find a nice word to distinguish the differences.

• mine
  • excavate
  • extract
  • burrow
  • quarry
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 11:38:20 am »

My solution is to use Dwarf Therapist, and just make sure that only low (or zero) skill miners are working when I'm digging large housing projects and the like. Then I disable the low skill miners and re-enable the legendaries for ore and gem mining. Low skill miners work slower, but not as slow as dumping a 2,500+ tile apartment complex full of stone. Just make sure to cycle them out as they level up. I don't recommend this without using Dwarf Therapist.

The remaining stone can be dumped in a practical time frame, or turned into a construction site for Masons to make blocks, and Craftdwarves to make various trade goods. I prefer the latter because it doesn't tie up the whole fort in hauling jobs while still getting the place clean.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 02:07:43 am »

building catapults and hucking useless stone against the wall in the nobles quarters is good too, takes a bit longer but it trains up your dwarves pretty quick.  Although the 10000 "melt useless crap stone" jobs at the smelter is probably the same in terms of skill buffs
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 [2]