Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Above ground trees, growing underground, muddied sand.  (Read 2615 times)

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Above ground trees, growing underground, muddied sand.
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:25:00 am »

Just some game notes: I play small embarks (2x2) because I like to dig everything I can out and just rebuild everything with walls of my most common stone (great way to ditch that stockpile!). It was heavily forested with only one aquifer, and a lot of sandy soil underground.

So, I was trying to pierce my first aquifer (previously I had gotten luck and had aquifers that didn't take up an entire z-level), but the aquifer was on z-level 3, meaning I had to dig out z-level 2, and then channel the surface, to drop a z-level 1 block down. Well I did that, dropped a large (9x15) block of earth, and dug into the richest chalk i've seen yet. Loaded with gemstones, coal, and other goodies. I dropped it into a EXACT hole. Nothing scattered onto the cavern floor, except a lot of water. I dug some quick channels to drain it off back into the aquifer (not the big hole of water you see in the image, thats just my fishing hole.)

Afterwards, I floored up the top of the hole, on the surface, with chalk flooring, but left z-level 1 hole blank. Leaving it. I also put floors over all of the above ground ponds because I hate having stuff, like goblin bits, pollute them, and I might later drain them for a defense weapon.

Anyway, it wasn't even a season before the first sapling grew, and then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5...  unfortunately I didn't notice it until one of the saplings got dwarf'd to death before I restricted traffic on the area. One even grew into a full grown tree.

Anyway Here is a screen shot (sorry its so fuzzy.)

In this is highlighted a Muddy High wood, but there is also two Muddy Chestnut Saplings, another Muddy High wood, and a Muddy Ash. As well as a dead shrub (It got dwarf'd), and a lot of grass. All are growing within the confines of the dropped block. Lumber was cut, and removed, along with all plants, before dropping.

Edit: also it says above ground, however if you check my indoor trade depot you can see the ramps leading up. Its really on z-level 2.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:28:29 am by UndergroundTree »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Above ground trees, growing underground, muddied sand.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:37:16 am »

Yeah, as long as it has light, it got classified as 'above ground'.

And light bypass all known construction.

So yeah.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:48:36 am »

So did I just find a way to make a non-tower cap farm underground? or is it a bug?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:25:51 am »

It is sort of, but it's one that's been around for a while. What happens is if you open any underground via a hole or similar, such that light can reach it, it become 'above ground' and nothing can even change that.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 06:37:26 am »

Yep.
If I'm not mistaken, the trick is called 'glasshouse' or 'greenhouse'.

Yep, something like that.

Edit: You could use it to your advantage by making it delay the adaptation of your dwarves.

Do the greenhouse trick on your meeting area, or the dining room.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:39:01 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

deek0146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:55:18 am »

If it helps you could build the artificial ceilling out of glass, then it would still be realistic and you wouldnt have to feel guilty about using an exploit :p

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:59:31 am »

Despite being Light and Above Ground your area is still Inside so it won't help with cave adaptation.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:20 am »

Actually, it does.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:06:53 am »

From the wiki:

Curing and prevention of cave adaptation are achieved through the same means: regular, extended exposure to outdoor sunlight. Indoor sunlight will not treat, nor will it trigger, cave adaptation.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:30 am »

Huh. No wonder they keep throwing up. I figured it was just because they never used the place.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:17 pm »

good thing I saved a 40x40 square in the corner. Tree farm here I come  ;D

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:19 pm »

Does the ground have to drop in order for this to work?  I tried this to create an outdoor farm indoors but it didn't work.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 07:11:49 pm »

I dropped the surface down onto an aquifer. That might of been the key feature. It was clay on surface, sand and clay on z-level 1, pure sand on z-level 2 (where its growing), and a loam aquifer, then chalk (oddly it was listed as having water leakage? or it could be a second aquifer and I lucked out dwarf style) then another layer of chalk. I haven't dug any deeper than that since I have enough wood and bituminous coal to make a fake magma lake. Also I floored over EVERY surface pond. Originally to ensure my fisherdwarves stayed INDOORS instead of out doors.

The elves seem to approve of the surface trees underground. Ignoring the massive 500 wood stockpile (on a map thats only 2x2 on embark.) after i clear cut the surface (which is still growing hundreds more trees. I had to make pavement all around my Trade Depot ramp all the way to the edge to make sure caravans would arrive.

Course the elves don't think about much at all lately. Not since that goblin ambush slaughtered their last caravan. All cloth bins  >:(

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 08:00:16 pm »

If I recall correctly, outdoor farms on mountain biomes won't have any allowed plants, so they're useless. That might be your problem, Kenbo.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:38:50 pm »

Does the ground have to drop in order for this to work?  I tried this to create an outdoor farm indoors but it didn't work.
Trees need soil as the layer below the one they're on. So, if you only have one layer of soil you would need to drop the whole layer of soil into the layer of stone beneath for trees to grow.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: [1] 2