Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf fortresses and dragons  (Read 1425 times)

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortresses and dragons
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:58:19 pm »

I'm currently planning a campaign for my friends and am going to be using dwarf fortress as a base template for the world. I plan on using some of my own fortresses as well as some well known ones as dungeons (coughboatmurderedcough). Any one else done anything similar? or any dwarfy ideas?
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortresses and dragons
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:47:40 pm »

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:50:55 pm »

oh awesome. I remember seeing that thread a month or so ago.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:52:34 pm »

Nist Akath did some nice stuff, maybe PM capt Mayday on how to make a suitably glorious version of Ironblood's tomb.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

I'm unfamiliar with 4th edition, (if you are using 4th edition.) I played 2nd edition before, and have all the books for 3rd edition but never actually gotten around to play a game.

Perhaps running across a dwarf babbling at a forge in a town/mountainhome, demanding various items.  Give him the items he wants and he will produce an artifact weapon or piece of armor for one of the partymembers.

If the party is low level, he makes the object out of an unsuitable materiel. Like a sword made of chalk, or cloth.  Treat the item as +5 in relation to enchantment strength and what it can hurt, but effectively only +2 or +3 due to the unsuitable materiel.  Or maybe change the damage to something like Mystery the questionable mysteries of conundrums. The pig tail cloth greatsword +5. With (1D1+5) damage. That would still make it useful to the party in some situations but their typical gear would still be used most often.

The party can later revisit to see the dwarf set up a profitable smithing business that can produce masterwork equipment (for a cost) when requested.

Thats one thought that was bouncing around in my head since playing DF.

P.S. Maybe once the party gets higher level the dwarf could reforge the sword to be more useful.
P.S.S Yes the cloth sword still weighs as much as a standard greatsword.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:04:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 03:15:02 pm »

If only I wasn't too lazy to learn D&D.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 03:41:39 pm »

Greiger, thats a great idea. I'm using 3.5 btw and party is starting at level 10. Also just a random info, the villan is actually an intelligent item should be alot of FUN!

Dragonmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:10:07 am »

Also just a random info, the villan is actually an intelligent item should be alot of FUN!

That's an awesome idea! Why didn't I think of that yet...? :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:24:20 am »

A friend of mine did this not too long ago.  I'll see if I can get him to come by and give you some pointers.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:55:14 pm »

That would be great, thanks.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:58:05 pm »

That would be great, thanks.

He says, "Don't put it in an actual fortress, that went badly when we tried."

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:03:54 pm »

The main dungeons will be. But not the whole campaign no.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »

I don't know what "went badly" about it, so I can't advise further.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:44:20 pm »

Dwarves and dragons is probably the only game where anyone who says 'I attack the darkness', will cause the darkness to recieve initiative and kill them.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 05:27:58 pm »

Well, I'm basing a bunch of stuff in my ongoing DnD world project on DF, but I know better than to make a total conversion.

Although I'm positive about my Stargate alternate universe setting, where the gate was sunk on it's way to america after it was excavated, and fished out to be handed to the navy, and stuck on a pacific island somewhere.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2