Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Discworld MUD  (Read 19260 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discworld MUD
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:22 pm »

It's much faster to reach Genua if you go via Bois.  There's a much more frequent carriage back and forth between Bois and Genua, and an equally frequent cargo ship in case you miss the carriage.

Carriages are only useful for reaching Genua, any other route is  travelled much faster on foot.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2009, 06:33:06 am »

Carriages are only useful for reaching Genua, any other route is  travelled much faster on foot.
And of course magic/faith transport is faster (though with magic you get FNU! when you misportal to the Fishite who happens to be wandering around on the sea bed :)).

But if/when you have gained basic Uberwaldean, travelling from AM to Genua via the carriage that goes from Lancre to Uberwald via Blackglass, then the one from Uberwald area to Genua, gives you a decent chance of spoken language TMing along the way, IIRC.  Although you're best advised not to alight in Escrow at night (or if night is imminent) without being prepared to deal the consequences, and instead travel onto Bonk for the transfer.  (Which is safer, but best not stray from the road until you know you can handle the dangers you might find there.)

(E&OE.  The above might not be up-to-date.)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:34 am »

Reading all the signs when walking gives you a much better chance of a written tm, though. ;)
And I'm pretty sure walking outdoors is good for the old xp gain.  Not as noticeable as exploring a new city, but it's there.  Oh, and stealing money from NPC merchants is fun.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 08:50:18 am »

Reading all the signs when walking gives you a much better chance of a written tm, though. ;)
And I'm pretty sure walking outdoors is good for the old xp gain.  Not as noticeable as exploring a new city, but it's there.  Oh, and stealing money from NPC merchants is fun.
"alias avalook leave carriage; read sign; enter carriage", to invoke (manually, not by trigger) whenever the carriage stops.

(Actually, you will need to make it more complicated, to taste.  Maybe to handle the Djellian caravan/carriage-equivalent situation, if you don't relgate that to another alias, but mostly because in Escrow (should you dare step outside) there's three or four different carriages that might be standing there, inclusive of one's own (and obviously at least two different ones at all other 'interchange' points you might be using, if you're going via the chain of local services instead of staying on the Intercontinental) and it's quite easy to get on the one to Fiddlyfjord or the Steppes/etc.  But I don't want to dictate half-rememvered alias scripting detail, while I can't refer to my own 'library' of them.)

But the walking is probably a good XP gain (especially if you add sneaking to the mix), you'd be sacificing that for the ability to stand/sit around in comfort able to cycle through all kinds of other XP-gaining activities, like palming and slipping coins to the ground, reading whatever reading material you have on you, listening to the regular reports from the driver (not present on the Intercontinental!), etc. Swings, meet roundabouts. :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2009, 08:50:01 pm »

I guess I'll try this.  I'm mad at XCOM right now.

I'm Muffles, the Whatever I Decide to Be When I Actually Start
Shoes...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 11:38:49 am »

So anyone still playing? I'm connected several hours a day and haven't seen a single one of ya.

I'm levelling 3 characters pretty consistently, I got a morporkian Wizard, an agatean witch and a Genuan musketeer.

It's funny how the wizard can gain tons of XP per hour just by using 3 or 4 commands, but it's hard for him to get money to train. The warrior gets tons of money and gets XP steadily but slowly by killing, while the Witch... ugh... only XP i ever make is by doing quests, for now. I suppose at some point I'll learn some skills and start breaking even.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2009, 01:52:09 pm »

Wizards are good at making money by selling their services, though!
Once you can portal, you can get a job as a "Taxi", portalling people around.  You can also sell packets of scrolls to certain playershops.  With sufficient skills, you can enchant weapons to the highest levels and create artifacts such as permalights which can sell for over 2000 dollars or more.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »

I think probably scrolls are the most profitable, at about $10 per packet of 4. I think the playershop at the Plaza and near the Drum are the most common to sell to.

Permalights require insane skills and even insaner amount of reagents tho. Managing to do a series of "zaps" from a wand that uses a lot of purple powder to recharge each time, where a single failed zap can mean having to start over as the object will lose 100% of its light... and a failed recharge on a balsa wand pretty much means death.

Taxis, I don't know... you charge only about $5 per fare. I think it's less time-consuming to just go to Bes Pelargic and offer your delivery services to one of the restaurants there. Too bad my wizard still sucks at Agatean, but my witch gets most of her money this way.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 04:30:40 pm »

The good thing about taxis is the tips.  Every once in a while some will give you a royal or two just because they have some.  I made a lot of money taxi-ing people even though I'm not a taxi at all.  I just portal people when they ask, and sometimes I get a tip.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:41 pm »

I've been running around with my wizard in AM 'though I haven't been on much for the past week. I've been acting as the rag-man collecting and fixing up all the clothes and junk left behind by the people who run around killing npc's, and eating many cabbages. Many, many cabbages.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2009, 06:39:24 pm »

The good thing about taxis is the tips.  Every once in a while some will give you a royal or two just because they have some.  I made a lot of money taxi-ing people even though I'm not a taxi at all.  I just portal people when they ask, and sometimes I get a tip.

That's cool, too bad that without being a member of the club doing "who taxi" you won't show up in the list.

One thing I did, I got a random tell by an assassin to please scribe her a ton of Nimbus spells. So I went there, she gave me chapbooks and packets and everything, I scribed quite a few of them, and after that she invited me to a group pretty much killing everything in sight and letting me loot (while I was scribing she would also shoplift everything around and giving it to me to fence).

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2009, 12:13:56 am »

I used to be a thief in this a few years ago, but lost my password. It looks like my account has been deleted for inactivity though, so I'll start up again as a thief.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]