Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Discworld MUD  (Read 19261 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discworld MUD
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 08:36:21 pm »

Don't snatch items until you have a decent level at fencing. Since you have to pay a thieving-tax on the ACTUAL price of the items you steal, you can end up losing money. Try to look for people who appear wealthy and try something like "snatch dollar from X".

On another note, I just accidentally made a portal to Bes Pelargic. I wasn't aware they lifted the restriction of portaling to BP? All that stupid shop-traveling to Brown Isles then BP was very annoying. Any wizards care to confirm?

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 08:42:51 pm »

I have a wizard, and yes, you can teleport to BP(now? I wasn't aware there were ever any restrictions)
Also often called Boowells.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 09:55:48 pm »

Heh, I remember this from over ten years ago. Started up a new character, Metalax. Haven't decided which guild I'm going to join yet but leaning towards the wizards again as I remember them being suitably insane.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 10:05:00 pm »

I have a wizard, and yes, you can teleport to BP(now? I wasn't aware there were ever any restrictions)

I don't remember how long ago I played, at least 5 years ago, maybe? Anyway, you had to use the traveling shops to get there. It took quite a while, mostly of just waiting. Casting a portal from BP to the Circle Sea area, or viceversa would always fail.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2009, 01:47:06 am »

When I was running around with Rhodan, he teleported us strait to BP. Those lazy dudes from the taxi guild are never on, could one of you guys take me to BP, that's the last part of the parcel quest. Disregard that I got someone to take me there. I think refresh Izak into an assassin, they sound a lot more fun.

Edit: Oh god, just noticed that quest gave me an incredible amount of ep, I've got 97 points in daggers now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:11:47 am by ILikePie »

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 06:28:53 pm »

Oh, good old Discworld. Did any of you jump off The Tower Of Arts yet? If not, it's worth checking out.
Benzene on steam.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2009, 08:51:20 pm »

Is it deadly? I don't want to find out the bad way.

I once broke my legs portaling accidentally way up in Djeli. Sucks because I wasn't able to talk to the doctor.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2009, 11:31:40 pm »

A little tip about advancing non-primaries: say you want to get a high score in polearms. First, raise Fighting to 5, the advance Melee to 10, then go back and advance Fighting to 10. That will give you 15 in all the Melee skills. This applies to several primaries too: for example: Mrs. Widgery Lodgers can't raise Chanting above 50. Chanting is used in quite some spells, so, as soon as you can, raise it all the way to 50, then raise Methods.Physical to 50, that should give you almost 100 or so in Chanting. If you want to milk it even more, raise all of Methods to 50. THEN raise Magic to 50 :D It'll add up.

Before raising all of Magic, I recommend looking for another non-primary that you'd like to raise. For instance I've chosen Air and Fire, so I upped them to 50, then I will train Methods.Elemental to 50.

Also, remember that visiting a room (NOT terrain rooms) gives you a bunch of XP, as long as it hasn't been visited in a while. So, wandering around poorly-visited areas can be XP-profitable. If, like me, you've made a whole city map in zMUD or CMUD, you can speedwalk all over and make like 500 xp per step. Apparently Bes Pelargic is good because it's big and not as transited as Ankh -Morpork.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 02:44:40 am »

I don't understand how you guys do this. I'm still hopelessly lost despite my best efforts to get Hat to acknowledge my presence and to mercilessly slay children for negligible mace skill increases. I spent fifteen minutes trying to climb a rope just to learn that I need about a hundred points in the Climb Rope skill to climb said rope.

Ack.

Go further back in the thread to see my series of posts complaining about how hopelessly lost I was and how frustrating this game is.  It is indeed quite confusing for a new player and the newbie tutorial is not even close to enough.  However, I did discover one important thing that helped me find my bearings: the other players.  The players in this game are incredibly helpful.  Ask any question and you will undoubtedly find a few people answering you and offering helpful advice.

I'm still rather new to the game, but I can offer you what advice I've gathered from my limited experience: the fastest way to raise your skills in the beginning is not through use, but through advancing them.  Gain what xp you can by wandering around the city and using whatever skills you have, then go to your guild leader or other senior guild member and "advance" fighting to 5, then fighting.melee to 10, etc.  I also recommend doing the Errand Runner Quest for a buttload of free xp and a bunch of extra cash as well.  I did that then raised my most important skills up about 30 levels, and now I am not nearly so lost and helpless.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 05:59:31 am »

Man oh man, the Intercontinental Express takes foreeeevvveer!  I've been sitting in this carriage for a real-life half-hour and I'm still not at Genua yet.  Someone shoot me an entertaining tell!  I'm Skuck right now.
Like Sergius says, I use the time for quiet contemplation, brushing up on my language reading skills and other GP->XP stuff.  There are of course faster ways to travel

EDIT: I don't know why, but I find mapping the MUD with zMUD/CMUD terribly addictive.
You ought to have seen my Excel spreadsheets, filled with my mappings of the Smarl river system.  OCD, anyone?  (And, besides, Boot[1] got there long before me.)

[1] Link currently not working for me, I hope it (and Boot) is still out there!

British spellings are awesome, but yes, they do trip you up in this game on occasion.
It took ages for me, back in the early days of the web, to learn to use <CENTER> instead of <CENTRE> (also "COLOR=...").  Given TBL was UKian, you'd have thought he'd have pressed for his own language to be used. :)

At level 150 in stealing, you get filch, which allows you to steal pretty much
anything off a person, including jewellery. Although you'll probably need to get it to around 180 before you can reliably filch stuff, I believe.
And, infamously, you can even nick someone's underpants from under whatever legwear they're using.  Now, topologically it's probably possible, but imagine the fuss you should have to go through to extricate them from under trouser-like garments. :)

...wish I were able to play, ATM.  Maybe I'll disregard some workplace rules sometime this week. :)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2009, 01:01:26 pm »

I'm almost finished mapping Bes Pelargic... I found a random portal someone had left leading there, and I blorped a really big yellow rock I had with me once I got there. Funny thing: if you can't afford blorped jewelry yet, take a big rock, cast Silicate Blorper on it, then get a hammer and use it to chip little pebbles off it as you use them... a 10 pound rock can last you quite some time this way, and doesn't require high skills to enchant. Heavy tho.

I used to be able to travel using the Library but I forgot where I got the really good L-Space maps.

Oh and about carriages: I just configured a few triggers that use the Microsoft Text-To-Speech COM from CMUD (zMUD's successor) and it speaks out loud every time the carriage comes to a stop, and also when it arrives while you're waiting for it. That way I can focus on reading webpages and crap while I'm doing it, heh.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2009, 02:37:48 pm »

Alright, really, http://daftjunk.com/dw/

It has all the maps you'll probably need. The Player Links on the main website also contains a few other sites, but none of them have nearly as many maps as Kefka's.

For the library, there's Sekiri's website: http://www.geocities.com/sekiri98/index2.htm

You really ought not to be getting lost so long as you follow these or other reliable maps. Ankh-Morpork was really really confusing for me as a beginner, but I never REALLY got lost, especially since the verbose description of the area often contains the street name(s, if you're at an intersection).

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2009, 03:18:53 pm »

I'm thinking of refreshing my thief into an assassin. Anything I should know before doing so?

Oh and about carriages: I just configured a few triggers that use the Microsoft Text-To-Speech COM from CMUD (zMUD's successor) and it speaks out loud every time the carriage comes to a stop, and also when it arrives while you're waiting for it.
I'd love to know how you accomplished this.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2009, 03:40:07 pm »

I would also absolutely absolutely absolutely love to know that. That is incredibly useful. It's such an incredible pain when you're waiting in the damn carriage and doing something else often results in missing the stop you wanted.

It's even worse if you're on the International Carriage heading for Genua. Miss that stop and you get another hour long trip. Which is why I love being either a priest or a wizard. Divine Hand and JPCT are incredibly useful, even if you, like me, fail at them half the time.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2009, 08:58:01 pm »

If you really want to get the room name in description, change options output shortinlong = on or something like that.

I'm thinking of refreshing my thief into an assassin. Anything I should know before doing so?
Well you should know it's pretty much mandatory to become a PK at some point before you can keep advancing.

Oh and about carriages: I just configured a few triggers that use the Microsoft Text-To-Speech COM from CMUD (zMUD's successor) and it speaks out loud every time the carriage comes to a stop, and also when it arrives while you're waiting for it.
I'd love to know how you accomplished this.

I just bought a new gaming laptop (a Gateway P-FX!) and my files are in my old one, so as soon as I go back to it I'll post the trigger. It took me a while of reading on COM and stuff... and looking at samples of zscript doing stuff with Excel and Outlook interfaces, but the actual script is only 2 lines long!

EDIT: Here's the solution:

#var spvoice %comcreate("SAPI.SpVoice")
#call @spvoice.Speak(%trigger,1)

Put this in any trigger, and it will speak the full text of the trigger. You can use wildcards and stuff in your trigger pattern, such as

^The (*) carriage has arrived.$

^ means start of line, $ means end of line, and (*) means, anything goes here.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:40:50 pm by Sergius »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5