Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13110 13111 [13112] 13113 13114 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15876333 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #196665 on: October 10, 2021, 12:32:57 pm »

Yup. Thrift store.

Fuck yeah. Every pair of pants I've ever had that actually looked good on me was thrifted. Thank you for your service to the queer community uwu
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #196666 on: October 10, 2021, 07:58:41 pm »

Fuck yeah. Literally all of my pants are from thrift stores. And most of my shirts, and all my sweaters, most of my furniture, my assortment of plantpots, all my dishware, all but one pair of earrings, and the literal box of pillar candles I have hanging out in a closet.

Why pay full price and exacerbate consumerism hell?

(edit, hopefully this doesn't sound like one-upmanship, sorry, I just get really excited, thrift shopping is a hobby of mine)

totally unrelated- i wonder why my friends call me an anticapitalist
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 08:05:48 pm by None »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196667 on: October 11, 2021, 02:54:58 am »

Thrift stores are the bees knees.  When my mom visits she always wants to go to one, and it's always a treat.  It's like a museum trip but for adults.  There's this one nearby which has rows of gadgets, appliances, and bins of mixed cables and circuitboards (PCI computer cards etc).

Just wooo it's a method of reduce-reuse-recycle.  A straightforwardly good thing.  Sure the companies doing it often have... issues, but it's a good end result.  Cheap used items for those who want them.

There was a stigma about it when I was in grade school, but it was so silly.  They couldn't even tell if I didn't brag about it.  By college it fit neatly into the general ramen-eating money-saving culture.  Which coincidentally for me was around the time that "Thrift Shop" song dropped and glorified the concept for general audiences, I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196668 on: October 11, 2021, 03:22:25 am »

All of the coolest things I own have come from thrift stores, they're were you get the best shit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #196669 on: October 11, 2021, 07:12:29 am »

Which coincidentally for me was around the time that "Thrift Shop" song dropped and glorified the concept for general audiences, I guess.
I didn't notice that thing until the last year or so, but it resonated because I literally have a dooky brown jacket that I found diggin'... not leather, but eh. I call it my hobo jacket, it's got tarnished buttons and is basically the warmest, most comfortable jacket I've ever worn.

... like, I don't actually wear it anymore because florida hasn't gotten cold enough to call for more than a windbreaker in like a decade, but still.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:14:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #196670 on: October 11, 2021, 08:47:30 am »

Call me a hipster but I don't think that's a very new thing... Thrift store buying has been braggable for at least fifteen-five years, and "vintage" shops that sell second hand goods at overprice for profit rather than by charity organisations has been commonplace for... Maybe the last ten years? I distinctly remember my overblown sense of being cooler than others for buying at second hand shops in my late teens and early twenties. Youths are truly terrible people.

And yes I too had a favourite brown jacket, made out of suede (or fake suede, possibly -- I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either way but according to other people it was real), that simultaneously managed to be too cramped over the shoulders yet too big in the sides, that I had found in a thrift shop warehouse n. And I wore it because I was a goof without sense of style and I loved it. I also had a shipper's coat (because I am that much of a stereotype) that I was very attached to that I either got from a second hand or rerequisitioned from my father's wardrobe.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #196671 on: October 11, 2021, 11:49:48 am »

Thrift stores have been here since the '60s.
Second hand clothing becoming expensive hipster fashion is a relatively new thing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #196672 on: October 11, 2021, 11:52:46 am »

I was a hipster before it was cool
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196673 on: October 11, 2021, 12:34:14 pm »

Owned the breakfast run with a pumpkin cream cold brew and 75 mg prescription of antidepressants #bliss #fall #basicbiatch #justwhitegurlthings
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196674 on: October 11, 2021, 01:51:04 pm »

ahh, all the chemicals a biomass needs to attain a semblance of functionality among the capricious tides of that creature, society

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196675 on: October 12, 2021, 09:44:03 pm »

Speaking of happy-chemicals, the nearby convenience store has been carrying "Melinda's" hot sauce for a while now.  Initially just a *yummy* green sauce, then a sweet wing sauce, both somewhat mild but vinegary and good.  Then recently they started carrying smaller bottles of "ghost pepper" sauce!

I know what ghost peppers are, and I've never considered myself a true hot-sauce afficianado - I just enjoy burning my tongue sometimes for variety (and more often, consuming a lot of vinegar from cheap "hot" sauces).

A few dashes in today's rice gave it a remarkable but manageable bite at lunch.  And now I'm enjoying some on saltines for a light, flavorful dinner.
Maybe sometime I should try that "hot chip" my ex-friend sent me as a joke... I bet I could take it.  Or better yet, I could nibble some fresh hot peppers that used to be too hot for me.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #196676 on: October 13, 2021, 03:05:40 am »

We appear to be actually, finally getting internet available out here by wire, and not by our phones' wifi hotspots. That's going to change things for sure.

I could play online games again? Maybe!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196677 on: October 13, 2021, 06:36:35 am »

Just in time for the Dwarf Fortres  multiplayer multiplayer update!!

A man can dream...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196678 on: October 13, 2021, 08:21:17 am »

Speaking of happy-chemicals, the nearby convenience store has been carrying "Melinda's" hot sauce for a while now.  Initially just a *yummy* green sauce, then a sweet wing sauce, both somewhat mild but vinegary and good.  Then recently they started carrying smaller bottles of "ghost pepper" sauce!

I know what ghost peppers are, and I've never considered myself a true hot-sauce afficianado - I just enjoy burning my tongue sometimes for variety (and more often, consuming a lot of vinegar from cheap "hot" sauces).

A few dashes in today's rice gave it a remarkable but manageable bite at lunch.  And now I'm enjoying some on saltines for a light, flavorful dinner.
Maybe sometime I should try that "hot chip" my ex-friend sent me as a joke... I bet I could take it.  Or better yet, I could nibble some fresh hot peppers that used to be too hot for me.

I love Takis (rolled tortilla chips) for spice and crunch. They're heavily lime and also spice-flavored; spicy for a chip, but not really for a hot sauce. The downside is the wild amounts of cheeto-finger they cause.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196679 on: October 13, 2021, 08:55:42 am »

Same!  And their weird red crystals seems less fine than Cheeto dust so it's always been less of a problem for me.  Takis were exclusively my snack chips during the Frito-Lay strike, now I sometimes get jalapeno chips too.  I used to get pickle-flavor chips but Takis have enough lime to satisfy that craving.  And yeah Takis are actually pretty hot for a snack "chip"... it's kinda strange but I like it.

I'm amazed at how little of this ghost pepper sauce I actually went through last night.  That's a good thing, I used all I wanted yet it's going to last a while.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 13110 13111 [13112] 13113 13114 ... 13326