Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12272 12273 [12274] 12275 12276 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15846611 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: [Ye] Welcome to the bunzone nerd! (Happy thread)
« Reply #184095 on: December 12, 2017, 03:29:24 pm »

Depending on how and why you do it, bringing divisive symbols into a charged context isn't exactly the Mother Theresa of moves, either. That goes for any side, regardless of who's to blame, if anyone. Tell me, what's more likely to bring about peace and understanding: Analyzing motivations and taking context into account, or jumping to value judgements?
You wot? There's clearly one side to blame and it's the arsehole who stole that kid's heirloom and set it on fire. Analyzing motivations and taking context into account, he still acted like a complete cunt, it is behaviour even enemies would not do to one another. When I went to school the Arab & Israeli students, the Tamil and Sinhalese students would not pull this shit. If they stole something that belonged to another they'd be expelled, if they destroyed something that belong to another they'd be expelled, and they respected one another even when their homelands were at war with one another.
If you're going to declare an entire religion divisive, justify setting the iconography that doesn't belong to you on fire, because you see it as the enemy - you are evil. You are supposed to defend pupils, not allow their bullies to steal and destroy their shit in the name of peace. Because such weakness does not promote peace, it simply leaves the victims helpless to be erased. It is complete and utter hypocrisy to claim you act in peace while justifying burning someone else's heirloom because they represent heretics.

I feel like bringing a historical artifact to a school for the purpose of sharing history is not a charged context? Though the details are unavailable at present.
A school is specifically one of the only places where a divisive symbol could be brought in for the purposes of learning and it should not be divisive.
And that's only if you make the value judgement that the Church of England is divisive, alike the confederate flag of the USA. Which is such complete and utter shit, to put down an entire religion and justify attacks against it because its existence justifies attack. Wtf?!!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184096 on: December 12, 2017, 03:35:14 pm »

Wait, you seriously claim that there's no way Church of England symbols could be divisive in a Northern Irish classroom?

Just a note: I'm not at all claiming that the guy was right to burn that flag or anything - it was bad that he did that, and it's a shame the heirloom is gone. All I'm saying is that just reflexively declaring the guy an asshole (or a bastard, or whatever) is not the right reaction.

E: Fixed an unfortunate typo.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:48:12 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184097 on: December 12, 2017, 03:38:27 pm »

I feel like bringing a historical artifact to a school for the purpose of sharing history is not a charged context? Though the details are unavailable at present.
A school is specifically one of the only places where a divisive symbol could be brought in for the purposes of learning and it should not be divisive.
And that's only if you make the value judgement that the Church of England is divisive, alike the confederate flag of the USA. Which is such complete and utter shit, to put down an entire religion and justify attacks against it because its existence justifies attack. Wtf?!!
[/quote]

Yeah, I mean, I agree, but it is ok if the kid feels it to be divisive for him. His family history could include a good reason to dislike the CoE. His feelings are valid, it's the way he expressed them that is unacceptable.

::EDIT::
Neenja'd
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #184098 on: December 12, 2017, 03:58:12 pm »

Wait, you seriously claim that there's no way Church of England symbols could be divisive in a Northern Irish classroom?
No. Religious minorities are never to be excluded because they are hated, they are to be included because they are hated. Being this weak will ensure oppression of the religious minority in the scholastic environment, sowing the seeds of hatred for the nation's future adults. They will grow up believing it is ok to set someone else's heirlooms on fire because it belongs to the enemy religion. It is a matter that warrants no compromise. Once more my own school/college/University experiences colour my views, where religious discrimination was not ignored meekly and submissively, but instead all faiths & sects celebrated and defended. And to quote my college's headmasters last assembly speeches, he proudly declared "We are one of the most diverse colleges in London, and yet we still succeed." He of course had meant to say that without "and yet", and as soon as he realized his error the entire assembly gave him a standing ovation for being so clever, as he turned red like a plump tomato. Fortunately his deputy headmaster was the real administrative talent behind the school :P
But yeah to summarize, I reject this notion entirely.

Just a note: I'm not at all claiming that the guy was right to burn that flag or anything - it was bad that he did that, and it's a fame the heirloom is gone. All I'm saying is that just reflexively declaring the guy an asshole (or a bastard, or whatever) is not the right reaction.
Then make your argument for why someone who steals and destroys their peer's family heirloom is not an arsehole. Stealing something that important to someone else is an arsehole move, burning it for no personal gain except to cause harm and erase your peer's cultural symbol is an ISIS-tier arsehole move. Should be self-explanatory why someone doing nothing but being an arsehole is one.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #184099 on: December 12, 2017, 04:03:15 pm »

Maybe take this to PMs? This is getting more than a bit off topic.

On-topic: A teacher asked me to come after school to help people who were understanding the content less than I was out. While nobody ended up coming, it felt good that they had a high enough opinion of me to ask that.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184100 on: December 12, 2017, 04:45:32 pm »

Well now we're talking, finally!

I'll disregard the first part, since I guess that since you consider 'divisive' a value judgement while I consider it merely descriptive we'd come to no agreement anyhow.

Just a note: I'm not at all claiming that the guy was right to burn that flag or anything - it was bad that he did that, and it's a fame the heirloom is gone. All I'm saying is that just reflexively declaring the guy an asshole (or a bastard, or whatever) is not the right reaction.
Then make your argument for why someone who steals and destroys their peer's family heirloom is not an arsehole. Stealing something that important to someone else is an arsehole move, burning it for no personal gain except to cause harm and erase your peer's cultural symbol is an ISIS-tier arsehole move. Should be self-explanatory why someone doing nothing but being an arsehole is one.
Note how in what you write that guy has turned into a caricature, someone who does nothing but burn and destroy? That's why I'm against the 'what an asshole' reflex. Not only does it make communication with the other side impossible, it also stands in the way of questioning one's own assumption - in this case that a CoE symmbol is necessarily or exclusively a cultural one, and that the act of burning it was motivated purely by the desire to cause harm and hurt the other person.

Lemme get back to the Confederate flag analogy. Don't worry, I'll defend the flag-bearer too this time, so bear with me.

So a guy in Alabama or wherever brings a flag to school. In Birmingham, let's say, just to be really on-the-nose about it. It's something handed down from his great-great-grampa, who brought it home from the Civil War, fighting for the Confederacy. During show and tell he gets up and talks to the class about the thing. How it's a coveted heirloom, and how his great-great-grampa fought in the War, and so on and so on.
By the end of the day, the flag's been burned, and both him and the guy who did the burning - a black fellow - return home with a few more bruises than they had when they got up that morning.
To the black guy, that flag's a political symbol - a reminder of all the suffering he and those like him have had to endure, and continue to endure. The first dude bringing it to school, talking about his oh-so-heroic slavery-defending cracker grampa - a provocateur. Of course he spoke up against that, and words led to more words, and words led to action. Burning that flag in the end was a symbolic act to counter the symbolic act of bringing it to school. It was legitimate defense against continued oppression.
To the white guy, the flag's an heirloom, and one with cool stories attached, too. He doesn't see why the other dude got so upset about it: The war was about states' rights, his great-great-grampa was a poor man anyway, didn't own a slave in his life, and honestly it's a free country - ever heard of the first amendment? When the black dude started insulting him and his family, of course he stood his ground - that's what you're supposed to do, you shouldn't bow to brute force. The flag being burned is a terrible loss for the family, and it was done for no good reason at all, which makes it all the more senseless. The guy's an ass, pure and simple.

What I'm getting at is: Both ways of telling the story have their merits, and to resolve the underlying societal disputes, we have to understand both of them. Burning someone's stuff is wrong, for sure, but it's so drastic, so unusual, that it's practically certain there's something deeper going on. Ignoring that - reducing the participants' actions in a vacuum, or from only one of these possible perspectives - means closing one's eyes to the actual problem, in favor of concerning oneself with a strawman.
Here, of course the black dude was wrong - you shouldn't burn people's stuff. The white guy should've done better, too, though - anyone putting half a thought into  the matter should've realized that others maybe wouldn't see that flag the same way he did. Doesn't mean it's his fault the flag was burned, but it does mean that slapping a guilty verdict on the black guy and moving on misses the point.

Applied to the issue at hand: It's a ridiculous proposition that there's any danger of English/British/Loyalist Northern Irish culture in Northern Ireland being erased. To the guy carrying the flag to school it may have only thought of it as a cool story to tell, but it's perfectly reasonable for a Republican Irish guy to see it as an enemy symbol. Remember, we're talking about a place where they ended the drive to even out the confessions in the police only a few years ago - and they did so even though that drive failed, and the force is still 90% Protestant, while the country itself is split roughly 50/50. It's a place where the government still is covering the soldiers who massacred unarmed civilians on two separate occasions. It's a place where both Loyalist and Republican terrorists have killed scores of people - some military, some police, and far too many civilian - in shootings and bombings. It's a place where they had to separate neighborhoods based on confession, for fear of violence from both sides, and even in 2012 about 70% of folks there still thought them necessary. In a word: It's a place where there should be considerable sensibility by now that you need to take care in what you do and how it is perceived.

It's possible that the guy really just was an ass. Considering the situation however it's not advisable at all to consider that the default answer.

Ninjaedit: I tried that, but I got the distinct impression that LW wasn't exactly interested. I hope the above is sufficient to clear out any misunderstandings or ambiguities.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #184101 on: December 12, 2017, 04:57:03 pm »

Minor correction to story: Asked my mum about it again. It was my Great Uncle, apparently, who gave it to my Grandfather for safekeeping. From Coventry Cathedral.

A WWII Church of England flag
I'm not saying it is - but it might well be that from that guy's perspective it's the same deal. "Jesus Christ what a fucking asshole" makes too many implicit assumptions for my taste.
Burning anybody else's stuff is a fucking asshole move in all contexts.

I at least hope the kid got punched.
Ironically, yes. But the one who did the punching was punished, and the burner got off free.
Jesus Christ, what a fucking asshole.

I feel like this is the only justified position to take, and that Helgoland's stems more from his own Catholic origins than anything else. Though he could be being deliberately divisive, which from past experience he does sometimes too :P

Look at it this way. What could be a more divisive flag to be in a German classroom than the Nazi flag. Imagine bringing one to class that had gun holes in it, a lot of personal value to you, and historical weight. Now imagine a less reasonably minded fellow took it down and burned it. Is he an asshole, or isn't he?

This hypothetical situation is not wholly the same, but in theme it's close enough.

Posted this without reading Helgo's latest post because, frankly, I'm going to assume it's just more pedantry.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184102 on: December 12, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »

My impression was that nazi symbolism in any positive context in Germany was grounds for... I dunno.  Bad things happening to you?  So wouldn't that support Helgo's point?

I dunno.  Maybe it's just me, but I do see where's he's coming from, here.  I can't really find it in me to blame the guy for burning the flag.

Edit:  Might be worth clarifying that I was raised Catholic, though I'm not really sure that's a major factor in my thinking here.  Still, if it's grounds for dismissal, I guess feel free?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:04:41 pm by Lucus Casius »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184103 on: December 12, 2017, 05:08:08 pm »

The German reaction to that flag is probably a lot more nuanced than I can imagine.

Either way, it would not be a positive position; it is an historical one. The flag's presence indicates that this, indeed, happened. It is a testament from the past to the present. In Northern Ireland, I feel the best position is not to deny the past, and not to embrace it either. It is to accept it, as the presence of this flag indicates. If they decide to deny the past in Germany instead, I suppose they have the right to do so. As people have the right to smoke, though, I don't believe it to be overly healthy.

To sum: Not positive representation. Historical.

Edit:  Might be worth clarifying that I was raised Catholic, though I'm not really sure that's a major factor in my thinking here.  Still, if it's grounds for dismissal, I guess feel free?
Not to worry. I'd need more contextual knowledge before I'd deem religion a decisive factor in argumentation.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:09:40 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184104 on: December 12, 2017, 05:09:16 pm »

Look at it this way. What could be a more divisive flag to be in a German classroom than the Nazi flag. Imagine bringing one to class that had gun holes in it, a lot of personal value to you, and historical weight. Now imagine a less reasonably minded fellow took it down and burned it. Is he an asshole, or isn't he?
Depends on whether it's the flag my grampa took down the village flagpole in '45 to replace it with black-red-gold, or if it's the one he kept as a keepsake from his fondly remembered trip to Paris. And it depends on how I frame either story.
Of course if I was the kind of guy to take a flag like that to school, I'd call the guy an arse in either case, but from an outsider's perspective the two are vastly different, wouldn't you agree?

And to supply the pedantry I'm apparently known for: The Nazi flag is a forbidden symbol around these parts, so in either case I'd be committing a crime.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:14:11 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184105 on: December 12, 2017, 05:13:31 pm »

Vastly? No. Pretty similar, in fact.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #184106 on: December 12, 2017, 05:47:11 pm »

Note how in what you write that guy has turned into a caricature, someone who does nothing but burn and destroy? That's why I'm against the 'what an asshole' reflex.
I doubt that's why you're against it; it is unreasonable to assume one spends his life entirely doing nothing but burn and destroy, and it is clear that was not my argument. Unless of course your cause is justifying someone burning and destroying because they spent the weekend doing community service. The status of an arsehole does not revolve around their character being well-rounded and developed, any less than a murderer is not to be considered a murder because they only murdered one person one time - they spend the rest of their lives doing normal things, therefore should not be considered murderer.

Not only does it make communication with the other side impossible, it also stands in the way of questioning one's own assumption - in this case that a CoE symmbol is necessarily or exclusively a cultural one, and that the act of burning it was motivated purely by the desire to cause harm and hurt the other person.
If you want to communicate with your fellows, you communicate with them. You don't steal their shit and set it on fire. If you can't deal with your peers with a basic modicum of respect, it is not the duty of everyone around you to put up with your bullshit. A little part of me fell crestfallen reading the last bit of this. You PM me and tell me you are motivated by no irrational hatred the English, then say someone burning the Church of England symbol is not motivated by a desire to hurt their peer for bringing in something too British. The Church of England iconography is not obscure, he was clearly not acting out of misplaced anger at the Red Cross charity. There is no goodwill in burning his flag.

Lemme get back to the Confederate flag analogy. Don't worry, I'll defend the flag-bearer too this time, so bear with me.
Don't worry? I don't care if you feel obliged out of guilt to attack everyone you believe is a nazi, I do care when you turn your guilt to me. I am not a white like you. I know for certain my ancestors did not do anything yours did, nor benefit from any of the systematic advantages granted to your race. The Church of England is not analogous to the Confederates, I will not compromise on my defence of schools free from this nonsense, and I will not entertain the idea that someone will set his peers heirlooms on fire out of anything but malice, or New Year's banter gone terribly wrong. I've seen too many people justify acting like complete monsters under the guise of fighting oppression, asking for understanding whilst eliminating Indians in Africa, Chinese in Indonesia.
Thus you go up to someone who has done you no wrong, you take their heirloom and you burn it. You have done your cause no service, you will not turn enemies into friends, you will sow conflict and conflict will be the reward. You see why this cannot be tolerated? Make stupid contests, win stupid prizes. This destruction is not a replacement for discussion, it is an obstruction. Consider the extermination of the Christians in the middle east. Empathetically analyzing their motives, their anger at American occupation, the actions of PMCs mistaken for Americans, with the inability to strike the Americans - resulted in the backlash falling upon the Christian communities. Now they will be gone, and whether their exterminators only wanted to genocide them out of malice or anger at the Americans, it is clear such actions were not meant for the benefit of their neighbours, they were meant to eliminate them.

Applied to the issue at hand: It's a ridiculous proposition that there's any danger of English/British/Loyalist Northern Irish culture in Northern Ireland being erased.
You chose these words with diplomatic tact of Donald Trump. When kids are burning flags in school, you're going to need a considerably better argument to explain how safe and wonderful this is.

To the guy carrying the flag to school it may have only thought of it as a cool story to tell, but it's perfectly reasonable for a Republican Irish guy to see it as an enemy symbol.
And even enemies, no less, fellow countrymen - are expected to deal with one another with respect.

We're talking about a place where they ended the drive to even out the confessions in the police only a few years ago - and they did so even though that drive failed, and the force is still 90% Protestant, while the country itself is split roughly 50/50. It's a place where the government still is covering the soldiers who massacred unarmed civilians on two separate occasions. It's a place where both Loyalist and Republican terrorists have killed scores of people - some military, some police, and far too many civilian - in shootings and bombings. It's a place where they had to separate neighborhoods based on confession, for fear of violence from both sides, and even in 2012 about 70% of folks there still thought them necessary. In a word: It's a place where there should be considerable sensibility by now that you need to take care in what you do and how it is perceived.
Catholics currently make up 31 per cent of the PSNI, with 67 per cent of the force Protestant.
Last week’s attack fits a pattern of Catholic officers being targeted using booby-trap devices.
In 2008 a PSNI man was injured when a device exploded under his car near Castlederg in west Tyrone as he made his way to work.
You neglected to mention the historical obstacle for PSNI to recruit Catholic officers were their Catholic officers being assassinated. Furthermore at a time where everyone is making herculean efforts to reunite peoples divided by the troubles, stopping arseholes from burning religious iconography is going to high on the priority list of maintaining peaceful unity.

It's possible that the guy really just was an ass. Considering the situation however it's not advisable at all to consider that the default answer.
It is likely that guy really was just an arsehole. Historical situation does not strip you of your ability to act like a decent human being.

Ninjaedit: I tried that, but I got the distinct impression that LW wasn't exactly interested. I hope the above is sufficient to clear out any misunderstandings or ambiguities.
Did you try asking?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184107 on: December 12, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »

Hear, hear.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184108 on: December 12, 2017, 06:49:22 pm »

Someone gave me two oatmeal cookies today, and that made me happy because they are my favorite.

I used them to salve my withered flesh after it encountered the righteous and blistering heat of the response above.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184109 on: December 12, 2017, 06:55:15 pm »

Of course if I was the kind of guy to take a flag like that to school, I'd call the guy an arse in either case, but from an outsider's perspective the two are vastly different, wouldn't you agree?

And to supply the pedantry I'm apparently known for: The Nazi flag is a forbidden symbol around these parts, so in either case I'd be committing a crime.
No. There is zero meaningful difference. And Germany is utterly morally wrong and stupid for forbidding Nazi symbolism, by the way. It's an indefensible position.
Pages: 1 ... 12272 12273 [12274] 12275 12276 ... 13326