Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12050 12051 [12052] 12053 12054 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778080 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: [Friends!] Japari Park opens new pon area. Floof for all. (Happy thread)
« Reply #180765 on: March 30, 2017, 07:19:39 am »

Me thinks we get a skewed view of things since, hey, this is general discussion. I think the general majority of the community doenst even touch the lower forums much, if at all. The most active areas of the forum are DF general discussion, other games, forum games and general discussion, me thinks.

And since the general outlook one gets of the general discussion populace is that of a welcoming community that seems supportive of people in general regardless of gender identity and sexual preference, it becomes a place in which non hetero and non cisgender people become more visible. This doesnt necessarily mean the community at large is made up of those people, just that they're far more visible in here, since it gives them a nice place to discuss precisely those things.

That said, there are other online communities that match DF's in regards to its openess to these kind of people. I'd say that our main advantage over these other communities is that we have Toady, who's not only a communicative and hardworking dev, but also a might admin who doesnt take it easy with people that step out of line. Not only that, he's pretty much the only person who has power to do that, so we don't get the usual mod power hijinks other forums get when they start giving some users mod status.

We also have a very diverse community in general, thus we can't really become an echo chamber, as even the most popular opinions get questioned and discussed, and no majority can go full toxic on the minority since they'll face the infinite wrath of the toadhammer, which is kind of what happens in communities that have a lot of people that hold one particular view very strongly (IE stormfront, tumblr tier queer communities, etc). Again, Toady is key to maintaining this kind of space.

Also, its because I'm here. I'm so gloriously attractive that I exert a gravitational pull on all kinds of people.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:25:53 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #180766 on: March 30, 2017, 10:18:37 am »

I mean, yeah, this is (Glory to the Toad) probably the safest place on the game-related internets that isn't specifically a safe space for gay/trans folks. It's just a bunch of people who are like "Other people who enjoyed, at one point, viciously murdering dwarves and cats in a game? Cool!"

I mean, take for example, the fact that when Toady introduced gay and lesbian dwarves. The only problem people had was with the other half of the addition: The "commitment" of said dwarves, because only married dwarves had a chance to spawn babies. They didn't care so much that there were gay dwarves doing their thing, but that the straight dwarves weren't dwarfing up and getting wed to have children.

There was never really any "omg gay dwarves pls remove because of my feelings" anywhere on the forum that I saw, and I think that's a great example of why people feel safe coming out here (and even sometimes coming out here first!)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #180767 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:40 am »

tfw my post is the last one in the previous page so no one will ever see it.

Cri evertim
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #180768 on: March 30, 2017, 10:24:39 am »

tfw my post is the last one in the previous page so no one will ever see it.

Cri evertim

Not if you're 50ppp master race  8)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180769 on: March 30, 2017, 10:32:43 am »

50ppp master race, reporting.
I take in all of your beautiful body of text tempacc, don't worry.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #180770 on: March 30, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »

There was never really any "omg gay dwarves pls remove because of my feelings" anywhere on the forum that I saw, and I think that's a great example of why people feel safe coming out here (and even sometimes coming out here first!)

The real problem was the gay, asexual, or non-committing tame animals we had for a while. Made it very hard to get a population going from just the usual two or three individuals if your male turned out to be gay. Had to bring half a dozen of each gender or something to ensure there was at least one straight pairing.

Anyway, I got my phone activated and can now browse the forums from home
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:06:55 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #180771 on: March 30, 2017, 01:27:10 pm »

What kind of idiot rely on dwarves to reproduce in DF anyways? The babies take like a million years to grow up. Migrants are always the superior choice. Even if there are. So. Many. Cheesemakers.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #180772 on: March 30, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »

You misspelled "cannonfodder."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #180773 on: March 30, 2017, 01:36:35 pm »

I want to join the 50pppenis master race

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #180774 on: March 30, 2017, 02:37:21 pm »

I don't know if I'm remembering wrong, but I definitely do remember some people in the upper boards pretty much saying that. Culture wise the top and bottom boards are very different.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #180775 on: March 30, 2017, 02:46:42 pm »

Aye, there was a degree of backlash, near as I can recall. Some down here, too, though, if my memory's working right. Which isn't an entirely safe assumption to make, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #180776 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:59 pm »

Some MRAs or neckbeards or something showed up around the time sexual orientation was added, IIRC. I think they'd created the accounts specifically to whine about how the game had gay people in it now, though; I remember hearing something about them coming from the DF subreddit or maybe 4chan.

I don't believe many of the people in the upper boards agreed with them, in any case.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #180777 on: March 30, 2017, 04:02:33 pm »

Don't remember any longtime forumites involved in that either. I do remember a escaped lunatic or two, maybe some low postcount people that lurked mostly in the DF suggestions forums and DF general discussions. In general the upper boards were open to it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #180778 on: March 30, 2017, 05:24:06 pm »

XPost from science. SpaceX's SES-10 launch webcast

3 minutes and counting.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #180779 on: March 30, 2017, 05:29:09 pm »

birb embargo is active
no birbs allowed in thread
Pages: 1 ... 12050 12051 [12052] 12053 12054 ... 13325