Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10604 10605 [10606] 10607 10608 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15837052 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] The deadly game of poi (Happy thread? Poi! B.. Baka!)
« Reply #159075 on: June 15, 2015, 10:40:37 pm »

Well, I don't question his skill at designing great platforming sequences exploration puzzles!
I just hate what he did with... his character.  Ugh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159076 on: June 15, 2015, 10:46:00 pm »

They ain't stupid. People underestimate developers all the damn time. Super Metroid has some of the best game design in history. Yoshio Sakamoto (director of Super Metroid... and Other M, oh my) just sorta got weird. The exact same thing happened with Masahiro Sakurai, in fact. Melee was not an accident. They knew Sheik was incredible in 1v1. They knew Fox was incredible in 1v1 and that Falco would be too. Falco's trophy explicitly mentioned his reflector's speed and combo power. Sakurai just sorta got weird and made Brawl.
SSB was not designed as a competitive game. It's supposed to be a casual game. If you have to ban certain characters from tournaments, the game should not be played in a tournament setting.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159077 on: June 15, 2015, 10:47:57 pm »

And the result of my research into the flags is this.

Fully automatic frame-perfect damage boosting. The footage you see there isn't frame-perfect (it starts the boost two frames late), but I've since fixed that.

They ain't stupid. People underestimate developers all the damn time. Super Metroid has some of the best game design in history. Yoshio Sakamoto (director of Super Metroid... and Other M, oh my) just sorta got weird. The exact same thing happened with Masahiro Sakurai, in fact. Melee was not an accident. They knew Sheik was incredible in 1v1. They knew Fox was incredible in 1v1 and that Falco would be too. Falco's trophy explicitly mentioned his reflector's speed and combo power. Sakurai just sorta got weird and made Brawl.
SSB was not designed as a competitive game. It's supposed to be a casual game. If you have to ban certain characters from tournaments, the game should not be played in a tournament setting.

There are no banned characters in any Smash game.

Also, why are people so fucking hateful about competitive smash brothers? Is other people having fun that awful? Goddamn. I don't sit here and tell you not to play with items on, don't tell me not to play it competitively. Hell, I do play with items on, at least in 4, since they added the option to remove the completely stupid ones (explosive items, gust bellows etc.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:50:01 pm by Putnam »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #159078 on: June 15, 2015, 10:50:34 pm »

There are no banned characters in any Smash game.

*cough* Metaknight *cough* Brawl *cough* Brawl tourneys are slow *cough*
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159079 on: June 15, 2015, 10:51:58 pm »

MK isn't actually banned.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #159080 on: June 15, 2015, 11:06:13 pm »

He was in the one tourney I played in school. Along with Shiek and Fox/Falco, and Ganondorf for some reason.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159081 on: June 15, 2015, 11:11:15 pm »

He was in the one tourney I played in school. Along with Shiek and Fox/Falco, and Ganondorf for some reason.

Ganondorf was likely banned 'cause his basic special - that charge-up purple punch thing - is a one-hit KO if timed right. You can easily 1HKO two or three people at once.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159082 on: June 15, 2015, 11:14:38 pm »

He is the worst character in the game, easily. His neutral B is awful primarily because it's impossible to hit with unless your opponent is basically braindead.

Sheik is not that good in Brawl.

Falco's fairly good, but Fox was overnerfed.

Brawl is dumb competitively anyway. There's no way to play it that way without being an asshole. Your choices are Meta Knight (camp all day) or Ice Climbers (get a grab and a guaranteed kill out of it).

Smash 4 is slightly better. I got fourth place at a tournament recently playing Diddy Kong and Sheik. I was not very popular that day, heheh. At least Ryu is out and very good and I enjoy him and he's hype. Sheik and Diddy only had the very good/enjoy attribute.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:16:37 pm by Putnam »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #159083 on: June 15, 2015, 11:16:33 pm »

People aren't hateful about competitive I think? It's just some snide comments because those people who play competitively inevitably sound like tryhards. Really, though, I can't see a game completely designed for competitive play. That would be boring since what makes competitive play fun is how bullshit some tactics are.

What I think would be nice if competitive play worked like gladiatorial matches. Not only do you have to win, you have to appease the audience, so a person can't just spam moves and be a total munchkin for example.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159084 on: June 15, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »

Hype matches are fun. Bizzarro Flame is popular in Melee specifically because he plays Ganon (not completely bad, but not exactly a good pick) and is really goddamn good at him. There is no way to play Ganondorf that does not result in disrespecting your opponent. Bizz disrespects you anyway.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #159085 on: June 15, 2015, 11:24:27 pm »

People aren't hateful about competitive I think? It's just some snide comments because those people who play competitively inevitably sound like tryhards. Really, though, I can't see a game completely designed for competitive play. That would be boring since what makes competitive play fun is how bullshit some tactics are.
Project M is a mod of Brawl made to make Brawl more fun to play and watch competitively. Basically the characters of Brawl but with the mechanics of Melee, and various adjustments and changes and buffs/nerfs to make it easier to learn than Melee and more balanced than Melee. And it still gets dev updates. Any terribly broken shit gets adjusted.

It's a good game. Good for competitive, still fun for casual party stuff I guess, but the main goal is competitive. And it's good at what it tries to do.

And about the gladiatorial stuff, competitive tourneys tend to have an audience watching. It's quite fun to see reactions when hype shit happens. Wombo combo.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #159086 on: June 15, 2015, 11:26:15 pm »

People get worked up about competitive Smash and Pokemon because while growing up before you encounter the actual competitive scene you're likely to encounter the wannabe competitive fans who spit on non competitive players and throw around buzzwords and item bans in an attempt to be edgy/mature/superior without understanding what competitive smash and communities are actually about. I use to hate competitive gaming because of them and never really got into any of it until late High School.

Also there's the whole tug of war between people who want Smash to cater more towards one direction or another, which people tend to take as personal slights towards their group when someone wants it to go in another direction due to usage of strong wording, particularly by people wanting it to be more competitive since balance stuff sometimes leads to angry.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:42:50 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159087 on: June 15, 2015, 11:37:20 pm »

That's also what made the Halo fandom as toxic as it was, the fucking MLG fanboys.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159088 on: June 16, 2015, 02:08:08 am »

Didn't we used to play video games to have fun?

I'm officially old now, aren't I?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #159089 on: June 16, 2015, 02:10:29 am »

Didn't we used to play video games to have fun?

I'm officially old now, aren't I?

Dude, I don't know about you, but i was obsessed with my K/D ratio when I was playing Banjo-Kazooie on my N64.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 10604 10605 [10606] 10607 10608 ... 13326