Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10255 10256 [10257] 10258 10259 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762602 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

The longbow was probably comparable to the horsebow in draw weight, as far as I know. The one was just shorter and possibly more complicated to make.

Also, crossbows aren't necessarily short ranged - I seem to recall reading somewhere that they were just short ranged because most armies were willing to sacrifice stability of flight for ease of use and production as long as it could still punch hole in things at short distances.

Edit: heck, there's no real reason you couldn't staple a regular bow to a stock and add a winch and trigger. It would be non-standard, sure, and a little impractical to use in a dense formation, but it would be as long-ranged and effective as the bow without the stock. For ideal results, use a composite bow with a high draw weight but shorter draw distance.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:16:59 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Edit: heck, there's no real reason you couldn't staple a regular bow to a stock and add a winch and trigger. It would be non-standard, sure, and a little impractical to use in a dense formation, but it would be as long-ranged and effective as the bow without the stock. For ideal results, use a composite bow with a high draw weight but shorter draw distance.

Those are modern crossbows, basically.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

There's various sizes of crossbow.

A big crossbow like a arbalest would have a winch you would wind to draw the string back. So you'd never need the monsterously uneven arms of a longbowman to use it.

Other crossbows have levers to pull back the string. Only a few, small crossbows, had them drawn back by hand. Such was the advantage of the crossbow: it required little training and was powerful.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile

Here is a longbow I made while living in a camp. Without a bow-string, which I still would be unable to bend.  :'(  It took long to find an appropriare tree.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I don't have a real bow or crossbow of my own, so... Can fix nothing, need training.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

The first crossbows were basically bows on a stick anyway.
Love, scriver~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

And I can't even bend a bow, what a pity.
Have you had any formal training? There's a lot of technique to it so unless you happen to be ripped or using a relatively low draw weight bow then you're going to have a hard time.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:03:42 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a little research to supplement my personal experience...

The normal technique is to whip the sling overhand like bowling a cricket ball and release. It is sometimes whirled slowly a couple of times to seat the projectile in the pouch, but not always.

& here was was me thinking you just used 2 trees & a long bit of industrial strength rubber.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

You can do that too, but then you need a truck or a winch.

Also you're probably thinking of a slingshot, which is distinct from a sling.

Automating tasks is amazing when it actually saves you time.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Man, and here I can't even shoot a target two metres away from me with a bow and arrow. :-[
Honestly, and any archer will tell you this--the hardest thing is DRAWING THAT ARROW CORRECTLY.

* Tiruin remembers her really pained forearm and strained biceps.
>_>

But seriously. It takes practice. :3

Happy: That one training song from Mulan played and despite me not watching but hearing it, it gave me shivers down my spine. Plus a great inspiration boost due to the memories.

This guy does amazing disney covers, thanks for making me listen to it again!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

Ah man
I slept right threw my own archery tangent

This summer I'm going to try to find a bow that is ambidextrous (notches on bit sides of the handle) and attempt to learn how to do mobile shooting (holding arrows in draw hand and being able to shoot at things while moving) and learn fast shooting.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

This site makes space ships based on names.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Neat.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neat.

The random one when I opened the page was built placing the last two large engine sections inside of two wing sections that each ended in a pair of smaller engines, blocking those smaller engines. :-\

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Mine is rather nice...

I wish they had a link for them, to make it easier to share.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 10255 10256 [10257] 10258 10259 ... 13325