Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10170 10171 [10172] 10173 10174 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15795360 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: [Pan paka pan~] Atagos soft fuel tanks return (Happy thread!!!)
« Reply #152565 on: February 15, 2015, 05:46:24 pm »

On happy, I love being bundled up in a blanket all day.  An ambient 70 degrees has nothing on a near-freezing temperature with proper protection.  For one thing, every drink of water or beer is nearly ice-cold.

And the wind blew hard all last night, but not quite hard enough to knock out the power.  Times like this remind me why I moved to the mountains...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152566 on: February 15, 2015, 05:49:25 pm »

My friends and I are playing oldschool Runescape.
God this game is satisfying.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #152567 on: February 15, 2015, 05:50:31 pm »

On happy, I love being bundled up in a blanket all day.  An ambient 70 degrees has nothing on a near-freezing temperature with proper protection.  For one thing, every drink of water or beer is nearly ice-cold.

And the wind blew hard all last night, but not quite hard enough to knock out the power.  Times like this remind me why I moved to the mountains...

Oooh, I *love* cold outside + blanket too. And wind. Best served at night, so you can sleep comfortably knowing everything outside The Blanket Zone couldn't.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #152568 on: February 15, 2015, 06:11:08 pm »

Darude - Sandstorm came on on a Twitch stream and twitchchat is just spamming dududududuudududududdududu.

Quality community.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #152569 on: February 15, 2015, 06:23:27 pm »

There is one major drawback to biological weapons. Yes, they spread autonomously, but the problem is, you've got to balance two things you want that are inversely related - infectivity and lethality.

The 'best', as far as weaponry is concerned, bioweapons are the least effective ones in terms of range once used - because carriers die before they can infect too many others. The most dangerous disease has long-ass latency, so it would lay low and infect a bit before killing, but even then, killing the host is just not evolutionarily beneficial to any biowarfare agent in the long run.
what about a disease that turn people into nukes?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #152570 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:26 pm »

There is one major drawback to biological weapons. Yes, they spread autonomously, but the problem is, you've got to balance two things you want that are inversely related - infectivity and lethality.

The 'best', as far as weaponry is concerned, bioweapons are the least effective ones in terms of range once used - because carriers die before they can infect too many others. The most dangerous disease has long-ass latency, so it would lay low and infect a bit before killing, but even then, killing the host is just not evolutionarily beneficial to any biowarfare agent in the long run.
what about a disease that turn people into nukes?

JESUS, I SAID I'M WORKING ON IT, IT'S HARD, K?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152571 on: February 15, 2015, 06:33:02 pm »

Umm I think those people are going to run short lives, there is quite a bit of radiation if they don't avoid the pockets, and I they're living where the above mold grows they will die in minutes
Most of the people living never left since the disaster, so they probably know where to avoid (typically equipment and materials buried in the cleanup.) People don't live in the sarcophagus, no. Remember that it's so dangerous there you can have guided tours through the exclusion zone.

Basically, avoid the hotspots and you're fine. Maybe it'll raise your cancer risk living there, but then again, so do a lot of things. Humans can be surprisingly resilient to radiation.

-true-

Oh, I agree, it could kill off humanity, or at least cripple it enough to dismount civilisation. But I was merely talking about the whole obliterate the surface aspect.

Probably should have made that clearer, but it was why I didn't mention the effects of radiation or fallout, etc.

Didn't Russia USSR have enough bioweapons at one point to kill the human population over several times, or were those different non-nuclear weapons?
Seems doubtful. I'd ask for a source, there.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152572 on: February 15, 2015, 06:43:55 pm »

hey guys

guys

you're welcome
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #152573 on: February 15, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »

...I just got here and why are we talking about bioweapons in the happy thread?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #152574 on: February 15, 2015, 06:54:43 pm »

Because Bay12.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152575 on: February 15, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »

Because we're apparently not on enough watchlists as it is.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152576 on: February 15, 2015, 06:57:46 pm »

...I just got here and why are we talking about bioweapons in the happy thread?

Bioweapons don't make you happy? What's wrong with you? :P
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152577 on: February 15, 2015, 07:04:09 pm »

Maybe we're happy we haven't all died to bioweapons?

Hard to run a fort with smallpox.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152578 on: February 15, 2015, 07:09:12 pm »

Alternatively, don't kill the host but make her (also him, but less important) infertile.

Because this:
The most dangerous disease has long-ass latency.

We'll assume that you're able to make a designer disease which can proliferate amongst hosts, render them infertile and have few other symptoms.
The biggest problem with that weapon is when it inevitably gets back to you.

We'll go with the most obvious, first- Say the enemy knows that you're the one who dropped this fuckoff bomb on them. First thing they're going to do is go to war with you. Now, it doesn't matter if you're invading them or they're invading you, either way their infected soliders are going to be 'interacting' with your infected soldiers. You'd be surprised how many diseases have managed to cross no-man's land in the past.

Secondly, bioweapons, like Neutron bombs, are designed to be 'discriminate killers'. That is- they kill a lot of humans and leave a lot of infrastructure behind- so that when you invade/colonize, you've got barracks for your men and crops for your farmers, all waiting to go.
First issue there- you're going to have a city full of people, who may not yet realize that they're sterile.
Which is fine, you don't have to take over that settlement, you can just wait out the generations and hope that this new disease doesn't cross to your country.
But just in case you managed to push them out/win the war, you've now got a country filled with sterile PoW's and civilians, who still might be infectious- again causing issues for your own country.

A standard bioweapon would be more useful in a terror attack, too.

... Yes I have thought way too much about this.

Quote from: That site
A Chinese Officer here once on exchange produced the standard line about how the Chinese could lose 500 million people in a nuclear war and keep going with the survivors. So his hosts got out a demographic map (one that shows population densities rather than topographical data) and got to work with pie-cutters using a few classified tricks - and got virtually the entire population of China using only a small proportion of the US arsenal. The guest stared at the map for a couple of minutes then went and tossed his cookies into the toilet bowl.
Holy Crap.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:37:21 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #152579 on: February 15, 2015, 07:10:12 pm »

Because we're apparently not on enough watchlists as it is.
How many are we yet to be on? I'm looking for a high score.
Pages: 1 ... 10170 10171 [10172] 10173 10174 ... 13325