Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10171 10172 [10173] 10174 10175 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15794410 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: [Pan paka pan~] Atagos soft fuel tanks return (Happy thread!!!)
« Reply #152580 on: February 15, 2015, 07:19:34 pm »

Because we're apparently not on enough watchlists as it is.
How many are we yet to be on? I'm looking for a high score.
Pfft, what is this, the 90s?

No, this is 2015, we don't have the quaint "exclusive" watchlists, we have AI algorithms watching everyone for everything, be it terrorism or pregnancy. ;D

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #152581 on: February 15, 2015, 07:22:48 pm »

Just watched an episode of M*A*S*H that happened to be on. :)
You know that they now have the first five seasons of MASH on netflix?
I started in on it just the other day, it's way funnier than I remember it being.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152582 on: February 15, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »

Oh, give it time. Heh.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152583 on: February 15, 2015, 07:37:13 pm »

How about a bioweapon with a (but utterly ridiculous and outlandish) weakness built in through creative application of biotechnology? It would make prevention fairly easy for you and still keep it semi-impossible for the enemy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #152584 on: February 15, 2015, 07:58:27 pm »

Why are bioweapons being discussed on the happy thread?
That doesn't really seem like happy material.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152585 on: February 15, 2015, 08:02:03 pm »

Already asked.

Maybe we're happy we haven't all died to bioweapons?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152586 on: February 15, 2015, 08:09:02 pm »

Someone linked a really informative and quite interesting essay on nuclear war.
Some of us read it.
Being entertained is a happy thing.

How about a bioweapon with a (but utterly ridiculous and outlandish) weakness built in through creative application of biotechnology? It would make prevention fairly easy for you and still keep it semi-impossible for the enemy.
Because the hypothetical Achilles Heel of your bioweapon is just that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152587 on: February 15, 2015, 08:11:17 pm »

Alternatively, it's a happy if you're an ecoterrorist who has successfully bred a virus that kills exclusively homo sapiens sapiens by turning them into predigested protein-rich mush, and designed a vaccine to give to all your fanatical ecoterrorist friends.

Thankfully, none of us would do that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152588 on: February 15, 2015, 08:15:52 pm »

How about a bioweapon that destroys all harmful bacteria and viruses in the target area (including cultures and such in labs, vaccines, &c.), and keeps it "clean" for at least several centuries. If its deployment is undetectable, that has the potential to be a really nasty sneaky way to completely destroy another state, at least if you're willing to play the long game.

The weakness is that a slight, known, and very carefully guarded alteration in the genetic structure of any of those viruses or microorganisms renders them immune to the effects of the weapon, so that if the weapons are reverse-engineered or captured and deployed against you, they can be countered easily and without damage.

In the medium term (2-4 generations) it will slowly push the target society towards isolationism and xenophobia, given the inevitable association of foreigners and immigrants with outbreaks of disease. Diplomatic and trade missions will be reduced in number and size, international tourism and employment from that country will die out, and those that do leave will eventually have to return, as well as taking precautions while abroad which serve to distance them from and dehumanize them in the eyes of their counterparts.

This will continue to escalate over generations until the target is effectively an island, with little or no face-to-face contact with the rest of the world.

When the weapon's effects end, all it will take will be a handful of infiltrators and germ bombs to largely destroy the population. The only alternative, if the effects were noticed within a generation or two, would be total immigration out of the affected area, which (given the lack of unowned land in the world) would destroy their society and government as well.

Of course that's purely theoretical and depends on a number of unspecified advancements in the life sciences, but it's a rather elegant thought.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152589 on: February 15, 2015, 08:21:35 pm »

That's science fiction space magic, at that point.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #152590 on: February 15, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »

Clarketech bullshit is best bullshit.

It's not even though; it's patently not magic, we just don't yet know of a method which could achieve it. We've got fucking aerogel and transparent alumina, both of which are superficially complete bullshit (and I'd bet you probably can't explain how they work without looking it up), but are not only not Clarketech but actually exist right now.

Not a perfect comparison, but it sort of underlines the point. Our growth rate as a species is scary and we're already playing with things that filled the far futures of old pulp magazines and novels from the '40s and '50s. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152591 on: February 15, 2015, 08:57:42 pm »

Bush would be so disappointed in usgood
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152592 on: February 15, 2015, 09:03:02 pm »

A living agent that can 100% eliminate 'harmful' bacteria and viruses, do so to samples in labs through biocontainment, and persist for hundreds of years. What would that entail? Something that can kill pretty much any cell. It'd have to be sterile, or it'd spread over the world with ease, but still last and resist any methods of killing it. It has to last or else more bacteria will be introduced.

With biotechnology of that degree you've probably abolished disease at that point anyway. You don't have to worry about a bad immune system because there's nothing left for it to react to - or this super-organism takes care of it for you.

You compare it to aerogel, but this is transhumanism sort of technology.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152593 on: February 15, 2015, 09:05:44 pm »

Isn't one of the main issues with bioweapons that the organism used will be after by natural selection, which would probably result in it becoming more infectious and less lethal?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 10171 10172 [10173] 10174 10175 ... 13325