Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10166 10167 [10168] 10169 10170 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796996 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: [Pan paka pan~] Atagos soft fuel tanks return (Happy thread!!!)
« Reply #152505 on: February 14, 2015, 08:29:40 pm »

I got a box of chocolates from my lovely girlfriend. Then we spent the day milling around and then went to see padington bear. Was a really cute movie.
This was a very fun day, GF really like her many gifts and two flowers
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #152506 on: February 14, 2015, 08:48:51 pm »

He charges money for his signatures?

Is that normal?
No no no, the convention charges money for his signatures. AFAIK, guests get money from a licensing fee.

Anyways, he signed the things, and as I was leaving "Hey [Hugo's real name]"
"Yeah?"
"Nice coat!"
:D
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152507 on: February 14, 2015, 08:53:11 pm »

Happy cakeday, Kevak!
*throws confetti all over Kevak*
Thanks~

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152508 on: February 14, 2015, 08:58:34 pm »

Just got home from a big math competition that lasted two days, and on my way home I picked up the acceptance letter for the last of my colleges from the mailbox. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #152509 on: February 14, 2015, 09:02:52 pm »

Well, today was great!
I helped my aunt make my girlfriend a necklace, and she made me a stuffed animal. :D
And we went out to some art galleries together and went to a great bakery... Then we went to my house and watched "Get Smart" together, then I introduced her to Bastion and she beat up to Cinderbrick Fort. Then we made scrambled eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches, and then her mom came and picked her up because my mother took the van to go skating.

(I said we would be done by 6:30, my mom took the van and so my GF would have been home by 7. But her mom came and picked her up, because I can't go overtime on a date!)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:06:09 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #152510 on: February 14, 2015, 09:37:22 pm »

I was trying to save an Alternian civilization from extinction (Fortbent; gotta play my own mods sometimes). 
To this end, I made a fortress and retired it once ~75 citizens were reached. Some fun stories were had, like how 4 of the starting seven got into relationships with each other before migrants arrived, and how over 70% of the relationships in the fortress were between one male and one female despite the incredible statistical unlikeliness of that (the species has a 95% chance to be interested in either sex; this translates to 90.25% chance of being bisexual, which means that the chance of male/female relationships are only 1/3), or how a titan came and caused the entire army to go blind with blistering dust, but all were healed by one of them, who happened to be a Sylph of Life (who can heal people fully once they go god tier).

Afterwards, I took an adventurer out of said fortress and had her go to the human capital. The humans were the ones who had been driving the Alternians to extinction, of course. Once she entered, she saw their leader, a fully god-tiered Knight of Light vampire... Beforan. The same species, but significantly more peaceful. So this Beforan had been killing his own species, consistently and repeatedly... because of a dispute over the treatment of plants.  An intra-racial holy wars over cultural disputes. Naturally, she thought this was heinous, so she accused him of being a vampire, grabbed onto his neck, and began slashing at him until she decapitated him. 
But the others were accessories to this vampire's crimes. Oh yes, they had to pay too. She killed them all, every noble in the city. She then took over the place for herself.

I'm deeply hoping she'll be an evil overlord and continue the war against her own people, heh. It's just the funnest thing that could happen.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #152511 on: February 14, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »

Need to respond with solutions to some vulnerabilities in the GPS system (from the US military's perspective). One problem they note is that since nobody else has a GPS satellite network, there's no way to threaten an adversary's equivalent. Leaving aside the problem that somebody willing to destroy the actual GPS network clearly doesn't care about retaining the capabilities anyway, I came up with a couple of responses, one of which was "Find a way to threaten things that don't actually exist."

Listen. Do you hear that? That's the sound of all the fucks I don't give.

Load contact detonated nuclear bombs, armed by re-entry, onto GPS satellites.

Position them over the capital cities of any countries with anti-satellite missiles.
That would actually violate international space law.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #152512 on: February 14, 2015, 10:45:36 pm »

Not to mention being actively detrimental if the GPS satellites are taken out by, say, a rogue third party.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #152513 on: February 14, 2015, 10:52:18 pm »

Need to respond with solutions to some vulnerabilities in the GPS system (from the US military's perspective). One problem they note is that since nobody else has a GPS satellite network, there's no way to threaten an adversary's equivalent. Leaving aside the problem that somebody willing to destroy the actual GPS network clearly doesn't care about retaining the capabilities anyway, I came up with a couple of responses, one of which was "Find a way to threaten things that don't actually exist."

Listen. Do you hear that? That's the sound of all the fucks I don't give.

Position them over the capital cities of any countries with anti-satellite missiles.

They could barely enforce the law on the regular frontier, much less the final frontier.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #152514 on: February 15, 2015, 12:02:44 am »

And GPS satellites aren't in geosynchronous orbit. And the scheme wouldn't accurately target the particular aggressor responsible for taking down the satellites. And it would give anybody with a quality rocket and a bucket of gravel a way to nuke any of these cities. Not to mention the difficulty in ensuring the bomb actually hits its target, given that the condition for firing is the surrounding equipment being destroyed. And a bomb adds quite a lot of weight to the satellite payload, making it expensive to lift. And destroying government infrastructure is actually a terrible idea if you want things like surrender to happen.

All in all, this is only marginally superior to my proposal.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152515 on: February 15, 2015, 12:14:04 am »

Someone talking about GPS and how the military thinks its not totally safe?
*cracks knuckles*

Think they might want to have thought about that before they got rid of LORAN?

Loran being GPS with land stations, radios, and work for the US coast guard. Atleast, until congress decided they dident want to spend any money on getting it sorta up to modern (read: 1980s modern) specs. So, they canned it.

Of course, now the air force wants to make a "new" system that is almost but not quite exactly what LORAN was at 6-7 times the cost.

'Murica everybody.

-dang ninja-

God rods are slightly expensive. Tons of tungsten, which isint the most common material...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152516 on: February 15, 2015, 12:15:05 am »

Could always capture an asteroid and drop it on them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #152517 on: February 15, 2015, 12:24:40 am »

And as retribution, the rest of the belt will find your loved ones and blast them into space one at a time. For all the little meteorites that have been burnt up in Earth's atmosphere. Space rocks have hearts too you know.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #152518 on: February 15, 2015, 12:28:08 am »

Which reminds me! Geology club around these parts has a sale every Valentine's Day. Picked up another meteorite, among other things. So that was nice.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152519 on: February 15, 2015, 12:29:46 am »

Aren't Rods from God not against the treaty? Hence why they were suggested?

We discussed this in the space thread, as I recall.

Basically, they're monstrously expensive (getting the tungsten up there) very difficult to maintain, you need plenty deathsats to ensure you can actually hit them, the satellites have no defences once they're up there from anti-sat weapons like missiles or lasers, and they aren't even all that effective, bang for buck. Less, I think, than the equivalent weight of military high explosive.

Once fired, you can't really alter the trajectory, the plasma trail makes it very obvious it was you,  and orbital bombardment is a phrase that opens the doors to WMDs. In that case, you might have well goen withth cheaper, more effective nuke in the first place. Or a cruise missile.

Not to mention that while they aren't illegal, laws can change, and putting weapons in space is probably a loophole that would get patched quickly.

Could always capture an asteroid and drop it on them.
Sure, if the wars on at the right time, you have the rockets ready, and the war goes on long enough.Or you could just use conventional bombs or nuclear weapons and obliterate them that way with probably smaller cost and quicker results.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 10166 10167 [10168] 10169 10170 ... 13325