Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8454 8455 [8456] 8457 8458 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15755378 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: [wot m8?] avin a giggle m8? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #126825 on: April 17, 2014, 09:19:16 pm »

The last of us is overrated.
No, Gunni, that's not how you commit thread arson.

Dwarf Fortress is overrated.

That's how you do it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #126826 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »

The Last of Us was amazing.
I challenge anyone who calls it "overrated" to name a better game.

Dark Souls, Arma III, X3:Terran Conflict, Nemesis II (MSX), Doom, pretty much anything that wants to be an actual game instead of the videogame equivalent of Oscar bait.

Of course, opinions and all so this is pretty subjective. Even if liking The last of us is objectionably wrong.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126827 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:51 pm »

The Last of Us is rated. Quite highly, as I understand it. I don't care, because I am a PC gamer, and don't give a flying truck about what consoles do. Most of the time.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126828 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:00 pm »

I loved Last of Us, but it ain't got nothing on Def Jam NY. That's how you make a narrative.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126829 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »

I should probably play that at some point. That point, of course, is a long way off because I don't have a console that supports it, but yeah. I should play it for my new job.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #126830 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:44 pm »

The last of us is overrated.
No, Gunni, that's not how you commit thread arson.

Dwarf Fortress is overrated.

That's how you do it.
I said it was overrated, not that it was an intrinsically bad game, but for me the experience lacked. The gameplay itself is boring to me, because I've had a lot of fun with third-person stealth/action and this particular game didn't bring anything new to the table. It also had no way of solving conflicts without killing everyone, which kind of betrayed the expectations I had after watching the early gameplay trailers. Not saying I irrationally expect that of all action games but the way the fighting was portrayed I thought there would be a bit more tense moments like "you don't shoot me I don't shoot you m'kay?" I Am Alive done right, y'know?

And I think the narrative is great when compared to other action games, but I'll stick with my RPGs for that thank you.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126831 on: April 17, 2014, 09:53:31 pm »

Dark Souls, Arma III, X3:Terran Conflict, Nemesis II (MSX), Doom
Difficulty, Realism, Complexity, Nostalgia, Nostalgia.
If dramatic storylines aren't your thing, that's a you problem.

That being said, I loved The Last of Us. I had to borrow a PS3 to play it, and I don't regret it.
The only game which I think tops it on story is To The Moon.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126832 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:18 pm »

Dark Souls, Arma III, X3:Terran Conflict, Nemesis II (MSX), Doom
Difficulty, Realism, Complexity, Nostalgia, Nostalgia.
If dramatic storylines aren't your thing, that's a you problem.

That being said, I loved The Last of Us. I had to borrow a PS3 to play it, and I don't regret it.
The only game which I think tops it on story is To The Moon.

Hey now, Dark Souls isn't just about difficulty.  For me it was mainly exploration and the fresh breath of air that is nothing being spoon fed to you.  Also there's a wonderful story there, but you actually have to dig for it, which is pretty awesome.

Also, I've seen so many weird things in ARMA happen, I don't know if I can classify it as realism anymore. :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126833 on: April 17, 2014, 10:06:07 pm »

Hey now, Dark Souls isn't just about difficulty. nothing being spoon fed to you. you actually have to dig for it.
... In your post telling me it isn't about difficulty, you describe difficulty.

To my shame I didn't actually play through much of Dark Souls. The PC port was so terrible it turned me off completely.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126834 on: April 17, 2014, 10:08:00 pm »

The Last of Us was amazing.
I challenge anyone who calls it "overrated" to name a better game.
Iji, the Portal games... There's been a lot of games I've enjoyed more than The Last of Us... I mean I think it's a good game, like I said... but I don't think it was a great game.

Though I might only differ from Janet in this opinion because I like a good story, and if a game feeds me a good story, I don't care about the gameplay so much. Though in The Last of Us... Well the first fifteen minutes or so had me hooked, but after that... A lot of the things that happened started to feel very, very, contrived.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #126835 on: April 17, 2014, 10:11:09 pm »

He said it wasn't JUST about difficulty, Tack. You were the one who tagged its main point as being difficulty. :p There's whole YouTube channels dedicated just to dark souls lore. It's got a better story than last of us by leagues I'm afraid.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126836 on: April 17, 2014, 10:18:27 pm »

I love big universes more than anything, but I would consider lore and story to be different areas.
Lore makes you love learning more about the game, Story makes you love playing the main line.
So comparing the lore of that game to the lore of a linear game set present day is kinda unfair.

Unless you actually mean story, in which case I will sit and be bitter about not having money for a USB controller.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #126837 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:30 pm »

A lot of both actually. But admittedly you really need to learn the lore to truly appreciate the main story..

You win this time TACK, but we'll meet aga-a-a-a-a-a-a-ain*crunch*

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126838 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:03 pm »

I for one found Dark Souls to be fucking boring.

Oh hey, I clicked a button, let's watch a 2 second animation.  Oh, a skeleton just hit me with flurry of attacks, I guess I'll just watch for a few seconds.  Hope I gain control of my character soon.

Oh what's this, I died twice in a row?  OK, let's grind for half an hour to gain resources back, because I guess instead of quarters this arcade machine takes time.  But its all worth it so I can get to the next area and fight... more fucking skeletons.

Its like they built an entire game out of those crypt areas every RPG ever has for boring side quests that have nothing to do with the story or the larger world.  And like, what's the point of difficulty if you can't lose the game anyway?  Give me Xcom or FTL any day of the week.

Edit: Before someone says it, yes, I never got past the several parts where you fight skeletons as the main enemy.  But I've watched Jamball play several parts of it and its all pretty much the same formula.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:35:08 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126839 on: April 18, 2014, 12:29:16 am »

There was a story?
Pages: 1 ... 8454 8455 [8456] 8457 8458 ... 13325