Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7752 7753 [7754] 7755 7756 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15783468 times)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #116295 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:39 am »

My torrent finished downloading and the download of another thing I am wanting to try is over 65% complete. Those are good things to wake up to.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116296 on: November 18, 2013, 11:23:09 am »

Four days, four trips across the Bay Bridge! Good lord, I wonder if everyone else hates the trip so the bosses are dumping it on me. I'll also be taking the San Mateo bridge which is just plain awesome.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #116297 on: November 18, 2013, 12:48:59 pm »

Finally found this game again :D I used to play all the time until LEGO removed it from their site...
"lel u need adob flas playur"
*installs and denies "lel want norton bitch?"*
"lel u need adob flas playur"

Well, so much for playing that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116298 on: November 18, 2013, 01:47:56 pm »

Enjoying the new job. Although....when I initially took the job, they were all "oh we'll start you off with a couple of small projects, maybe $10-15,000 budget stuff, and give you time to acclimate"

A week later: "Here's your project. It will almost certainly go over a million dollars in budget and has already failed twice before and burned out five project managers before you. Good luck, you're in for a hell of a ride."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116299 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:25 pm »

Kick that challenge's ass, Redking.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116300 on: November 18, 2013, 02:02:17 pm »

holy shit i am the god of salt

redking take that challenge and wreck its shit

count the time until i post in the sad thread saying i lost it all guys

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #116301 on: November 18, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »

That challenge's shit is about to experience wreckage heretofore unknown, save by objects in the immediate proximity of a black hole.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116302 on: November 18, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »

Enjoying the new job. Although....when I initially took the job, they were all "oh we'll start you off with a couple of small projects, maybe $10-15,000 budget stuff, and give you time to acclimate"

A week later: "Here's your project. It will almost certainly go over a million dollars in budget and has already failed twice before and burned out five project managers before you. Good luck, you're in for a hell of a ride."

Do you play Dwarf Fortress and/or Aurora?

If yes to one or both, they probably know. Hence the dropping in at the deep end.
I play both. Makes sense now. If the next project is to design a jump-capable heavy cruiser with 80cm magma launchers, I'll know for sure.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116303 on: November 18, 2013, 03:08:43 pm »

Translation: We need someone to take a fall for us, so we're dumping an impossible project on the new guy.

This is basically what happened to me at my last job and it's why I had to resign my position.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116304 on: November 18, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »

Ahh, but that's where they made a tragic miscalculation. For you see, they paired me with a freakin' awesome program manager as a mentor and co-PM on this thing, and the two of us have come up with a solid strategy for getting it done. Won't be cheap, but then none of the options are at this point. He's handling the overall strategy and development work, and I'm handling the logistics and management of it all when it's go-time.

Together, we fight crime manage the ever-living shit out of this project.

And I figure, if we fail, then meh...so did five other trained professionals before us. Not going to be that ignominious a failure.
If we pull this fucker off as my FIRST project? Booyah8)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116305 on: November 18, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »

Don't get overconfident.

At the last week at my previous job, my boss had a vacation planned so he dumped three projects on me.  They involved things I had not been properly been trained to do, such as managing staff.  The projects had a quick turnaround with our client and they wouldn't change the deadline.  I thought I could handle it at first, but it was too much and I had to resign my position or I would had been fired.  I still haven't recovered from this.

They didn't make a miscalculation...they need a patsy.  Why would they trust a newcomer with such an important project?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116306 on: November 18, 2013, 03:53:16 pm »

Because I have expertise that the last few PMs didn't.
First batch were non-technical, which can be crippling with highly technical projects.
Second batch were *too* technical, which meant they didn't know how to be diplomatic with the client and got upset too easily.

I've got the technical background to understand the intricacies of the project, a thick skin from years of being yelled at by people with guns and power, and the ability to be diplomatic from years of working with Federal bureaucracy. Once you've been verbally reamed by somebody who's only three steps below the President on an org chart....everything else is low-pressure.

Also, the projects failed before (at least the second time) because the client balked at the price tag and decided to postpone. Now, the support envelope is running out so they don't really have a choice. This *has* to get done, and so even if they grumble about the cost, they can't kill it because of budget unless it gets ridiculous. They could have gotten it done considerably cheaper if they had started a couple of years ago, but hey -- them's the breaks.

Admittedly, you could be right and I might be out of work again in six months. If so, then *shrug* I was going to be laid off anyways. This just netted me six more months of paycheck and a bit more severance if/when that happens. Because of that, I don't really have any fear (which is, IMHO, another reason I got it -- all the established PMs didn't want to touch it with a ten-foot-pole). And they all have other projects they're already working on. They wanted somebody that could be 100% allocated to this project.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #116307 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »

Not sure if happy for everyone but:

I'm getting errors 500 and 502 on youtube.

This is hillarious.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116308 on: November 18, 2013, 05:40:23 pm »

I'm getting those errors as well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116309 on: November 18, 2013, 06:02:00 pm »

I had an amusing interchange with a friend about Mayor Crackhead of Toronto:

"Mr. Mayor, what is your response to allegations that you have smoked crack cocaine in the past?"
"I confess, but you should give me credit for cutting back."
"Mr. Mayor, would you care to clarify?"
"Well, I mean, I used to smoke crack made from dead babies."
"That's horrible!"
"I propose that the Mayor be removed from the chamber on account of his horrifying revelations."
"Free speech! First amendment!"
"Sir, this is Canada. We don't have a first amendment."
"No, I mean the first amendment to the laws of Toronto."
"Let me see that! 'The mayor shall be allowed to freely smoke crack' - you scribbled this in with a pencil five minutes ago!"
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 7752 7753 [7754] 7755 7756 ... 13325