Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5858 5859 [5860] 5861 5862 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15805742 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #87885 on: September 11, 2012, 07:23:54 am »

This may seem weird or disrespectful, but I'm happy that the 11th anniversary of 9/11 isn't really front page news. Seems like we've turned a corner after the first 10 years, where it's no longer a collective gnashing of teeth and rending of hair and is morphing into something more constructive -- with a focus on it becoming a national day of volunteerism and civic duty.

Now people are concerned with the 21th december instead.  :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:25:38 am by Ultimuh »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #87886 on: September 11, 2012, 07:30:05 am »

This may seem weird or disrespectful, but I'm happy that the 11th anniversary of 9/11 isn't really front page news. Seems like we've turned a corner after the first 10 years, where it's no longer a collective gnashing of teeth and rending of hair and is morphing into something more constructive -- with a focus on it becoming a national day of volunteerism and civic duty.

^This... so much this.

Also, I felt really happy today. On the way home, exhausted... notice a woman hop on at South Yarra or Richmond, couldn't tell (I was on a clanker train which doesn't tell you the station, and the signs aren't lit).
She looked tired, but otherwise happy, which turned to a bit of dismay when she saw how packed the ancient train was.

I gave her a quick once over and judged her to be pregnant (Please don't judge me for saying this), as her ankles were swollen, and her stomach had the rotundity of a pregnant person as opposed to the flaccidity of one whose stomach is overweight/poor muscularity. She was also moving like someone whose back was hurting.

I hopped up, and gave her my seat.

She smiled and thanked me profusely. I don't talk to strangers unless I'm comfortable. I was not comfortable, because I was barely awake. I nodded and smiled at her.

At Hughesdale station she hopped off, again thanking me profusely.

I think I just made someone's day.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #87887 on: September 11, 2012, 07:36:58 am »

Now people are concerned with the 21th december instead.  :P
LOL...I'd completely forgotten about that.

@Reudh: You are a good person. We need more good people. :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87888 on: September 11, 2012, 08:46:07 am »

A pox on you, RK! You made me even notice it was the 11th. Most of the years since '02 I've managed to not even realize it was anything but <day of week>. Today was going to be nothing but a nice tuesday :-\ Also going to be traveling to a VA clinic with the grandfather today. Maybe things will actually manage to avoid getting shrill...

I joke, i joke... about the pox bit, anyway. I'm just not much for negative anniversaries. There's not much I'd want to memorialize about that particular event, really.

What... what happened on the 21st?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87889 on: September 11, 2012, 08:47:42 am »

I think thats the day people are assuming the 2012 event will occur?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #87890 on: September 11, 2012, 08:51:53 am »

A pox on you, RK! You made me even notice it was the 11th. Most of the years since '02 I've managed to not even realize it was anything but <day of week>. Today was going to be nothing but a nice tuesday :-\ Also going to be traveling to a VA clinic with the grandfather today. Maybe things will actually manage to avoid getting shrill...

I joke, i joke... about the pox bit, anyway. I'm just not much for negative anniversaries. There's not much I'd want to memorialize about that particular event, really.

What... what happened on the 21st?
Cinco de Maya. :p
(Okay, technically Veinte y uno de Maya...but the joke doesn't work that way.)

There's been a notable lack of Mayan apocalypse stuff the last couple of months. Wonder if the election is blocking it all out, or people just got bored with it early.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #87891 on: September 11, 2012, 08:59:39 am »

They found a bit more of the Mayan calendar that goes beyond 2012 did they not?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87892 on: September 11, 2012, 09:02:21 am »

Ah, the apocalypse nonsense? Well, they found that extra Mayan stuff that kinda' threw the end-of-times bit out on its ear, though I don't know how much that information's disseminated to folks that believed it to begin with.

The 12/21/12 (or 12/12/12, I guess) thing is just silly, because the gregorian calendar isn't exactly divinatory in nature. It... it's mostly an arbitrary thing. We could have used letters instead of numbers! Could have been L/U/L.* And there's other calendars. So one coming to a numerical confluence is just, uh. Meaningless?

*Okay, correction. I think I now believe there is divine influence involved in the 12/21/12 thing. Just not what the general furor is about. YWYH be trollin'.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:04:35 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #87893 on: September 11, 2012, 10:07:47 am »

Yeah. A few millenia past, IIRC. Don't have the newslink, though

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87894 on: September 11, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »

*Okay, correction. I think I now believe there is divine influence involved in the 12/21/12 thing. Just not what the general furor is about. YWYH be trollin'.

Hehe. And lo, YHWH looked down and said unto his angels, "Watch this shit guys, its gonna be hilarious..."
And Michael replied, "Oh, u mad bro?"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #87895 on: September 11, 2012, 12:31:14 pm »

Ah, the apocalypse nonsense? Well, they found that extra Mayan stuff that kinda' threw the end-of-times bit out on its ear, though I don't know how much that information's disseminated to folks that believed it to begin with.

The 12/21/12 (or 12/12/12, I guess) thing is just silly, because the gregorian calendar isn't exactly divinatory in nature. It... it's mostly an arbitrary thing. We could have used letters instead of numbers! Could have been L/U/L.* And there's other calendars. So one coming to a numerical confluence is just, uh. Meaningless?

You know that LUL stands for dick in Flemish dialict, right?

IT MUST BE TRUE!
*goes to the shop to buy survival stuff*

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87896 on: September 11, 2012, 12:34:31 pm »

Huh, I've actually completed all the schoolwork that's been assigned to me at the moment. How am I supposed to enjoy playing video games if I'm not procrastinating anything while I play?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #87897 on: September 11, 2012, 12:37:49 pm »

Huh, I've actually completed all the schoolwork that's been assigned to me at the moment. How am I supposed to enjoy playing video games if I'm not procrastinating anything while I play?

You think you're joking, but you'll soon find out that the games aren't NEARLY as captivating as when you're using them to stave off work. During summers I can run into a problem where I just sit in my room, with the whole world at my fingertips on either one of my computers and my phone, and wonder why the hell everything suddenly seems so boring.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87898 on: September 11, 2012, 01:10:48 pm »

"Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0. The date on which the calendar will go to the next piktun (a complete series of 20 b'ak'tuns), at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772."

But...

"The inscription on Quirigua stela F, or 6, shows a Long Count date of 9.16.10.0.0 1 Ahau 3 Zip (March 15, 761 Gregorian). The huge distance date of 1.8.13.0.9.16.10.0.0 is subtracted and the resulting date is given as (18.)13.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 1 Ahau 13 Yaxkin, which is equivalent to a day over 90 million years in the past. However, there is another distance date on Quirigua Stela D or 4, that gives a date of 9.16.15.0.0 7 Ahau 18 Pop (February 17, 766 Gregorian), to which is added 6.8.13.0.9.16.15.0.0, to give a date of (13.)13.0.0.0.0.0.0.0. This is over 400 million years after the date the stela was erected."

We have Mayan stelae with dates 400 million years into the future ...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:16:44 pm by Reelya »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #87899 on: September 11, 2012, 01:18:00 pm »

"Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0. The date on which the calendar will go to the next piktun (a complete series of 20 b'ak'tuns), at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772."

Up to b'ak'tun is from Mayan literature, "Piktun" is a modern invention to fill the gap of the next higher measurement.
Despite all the proof against the Apocalypse actually happening right next door to us, I think many social engineers are going to plan major events to force the "Hand of God" on people they want to manipulate in order to further their own cause.

Why do I find it oddly appropriate that Election Season is on this year (the timing seems too perfect; excellent for tin-hatters to point the finger on secret societies)? I feel sorry for the poor bastards that wins this year's elections. If said events do 'detonate' on time, and people freak the fuck out, the finger will go directly towards them. The real question then is, are all these negative attack ads actually funded by the candidates themselves, and not their opponents, because they know people are retarded enough to pin every single blame on them, especially once 12/21/12 rolls along?

If that's the case, why don't they promote a 3rd party to win, let a 2012 disaster roll around, impeach the guy, and take their position right from under them. It's underhanded enough to work; and fits with just about any other political game. And if 3rd parties are such a thorn in the side for everyone (especially at the political level, since more are considering 3rd parties these days; despite the stubborn hostilities of the jackaphants), what better way to keep them out of elections than rigging a cataclysm to happen while they're victorious? People are dumb enough to fall for it, according to every other election season I've witnessed, why not? It would require a joint-effort between Obama and Romney to pull it off, however.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:25:14 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 5858 5859 [5860] 5861 5862 ... 13325