Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5745 5746 [5747] 5748 5749 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15802677 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #86190 on: August 22, 2012, 06:25:04 pm »

it's satirical?

I don't start cracking up whenever I use the toilet o.O
Satire isn't humor. Satire is ironically presenting a point to prove the opposite of what you're nominally saying. It *can* be humorous but not necessarily so. Lots of satire can actually be kinda horrifying, if you're say, pointing out some unfortunate implications.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #86191 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:36 pm »

I've never liked any art that didn't require skill to make.
It does require skill. Quite a lot. Just try something like cubism sometime.

Allow me to jump to the defense of modern artists for a moment. They know what they're doing, and it's not meaningless. The sin of most modern artists though is it requires a degree of sophistication (or just the right perspective) to actually see what they're trying to convey, so when most people look at it all they see is a pile of garbage or whatever.

As I mentioned earlier, this stuff is extremely meta. They look at the standards and common occurrences ("tropes" might be an appropriate word in this context) in regular art, and twist them on their head. If you don't understand the background behind their subject matter, you won't understand what they're conveying.

The infamous urinal is a good example. No, the "art" part isn't the urinal itself. It's satirical. It's irony. It's meta. Most people just see a toilet, but the "artistic merit" is something else.
I definitely consider cubist paintings to be art, they take some skill and effort. Plonking down a urinal and claiming that "it's meta" and that people who don't get it just aren't educated enough, is what I consider to not be art.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't need a degree just to get some enjoyment out of it.

Also, suggesting that someone with a neurological disorder that screws up their Hand/Eye coordination attempt to paint something as a proof that art requires skill isn't particularly nice :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86192 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:53 pm »

Macromeme made me feel warm and fuzzy inside today.

Of course, earlier I got the horrifying pokemon one, which was a combination of fascinating and why would you do this.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86193 on: August 22, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »

Spoiler: Rant about Modern Art (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #86194 on: August 22, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »

Finally finished my summer reading essays! Huzzah!
It's FEF, not FEOF

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86195 on: August 22, 2012, 07:10:10 pm »

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't need a degree just to get some enjoyment out of it.
While I have a degree, it's in physics and my last art class was back before GCSE. I still enjoy wandering around the Tate Modern every few months.

Some bits are pretty crap, but even some of the simplistic works are pretty impressive in person.

I remember rather enjoying this piece, despite its simplicity. It looks even simpler on that page, but in real life it's size and the slight optical illusion effect was impressive. The same room had this work which takes a not uncommon optical illusion and blows it up to three 2m x 2m panels. You literally can't see the effects in those pictures but it was rather unsettling in the room.

The story behind the urinal (known as 'Fountain', although the original is lost and they currently have a ceramic replica on display) is worth reading. The work itself isn't that impressive. The context and original subversive nature gives it a different meaning. I don't see this as any different from going to a museum and looking at any other cultural artefacts. The object itself is only a tiny part of the story and often the least visually impressive items have the most significance.

Actually that reminds me of one of the Tate's temporary displays; the photomontages of John Heartfield taken from the covers of AIZ magazine in the leadup to the second world war. Contemporary anti-Nazi art that basically charted the rise of the Third Reich. The most powerful image was of Hitler's face, mouth open to consume Europe. Except that the entire run of that issue of the magazine had been censored. Even the copy on display. It had been coated with a layer of black paint, with the original image just visible through it. Made it more powerful than the rest by far.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86196 on: August 22, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »

Plonking down a urinal and claiming that "it's meta" and that people who don't get it just aren't educated enough, is what I consider to not be art.

Most definitions of "art" that I've heard do not include "enjoyment" nor "accessibility." You can certainly call it pretentious if you want, but that's not a reason to not call it "art."

Art is far, far more than pretty pictures.

Also, suggesting that someone with a neurological disorder that screws up their Hand/Eye coordination attempt to paint something as a proof that art requires skill isn't particularly nice :P
Apologies if I offended you in any way. Merely refuting your assertion that this stuff doesn't take skill and asking you to experimentally verify it yourself.

And by the way, if you accept that it requires knowledge to understand (the "need a degree" comment earlier), then you must also accept that this stuff is sophisticated, and thus not "easy enough for anyone to do." Sophistication does not equate any measure of quality of course, but does imply difficulty and skill.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86197 on: August 22, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »

Spoiler: Rant about Modern Art (click to show/hide)
+1. It's mostly just peer pressure.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #86198 on: August 22, 2012, 07:58:03 pm »

So modern art is just a critic/artist circlejerk that leaves most of the audience out?

Looks like it's time for a dada revival.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86199 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:25 pm »

Essentially.

And dada's pretentious in the opposite direction. "ooh I'm being absurd for no reason whatsoever isn't that awesome"

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86200 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »

So modern art is just a critic/artist circlejerk that leaves most of the audience out?

Looks like it's time for a dada revival.

No, no, no. That's exactly the wrong direction. Whatever you do, people will necessarily start appreciating it. So the best way to combat stupid art is to make better art: Art that 1) looks awesome, 2) took a decent amount of effort, and 3) has specific context that you can relate to. Essentially, every image ever posted in this thread. And the only reason that modern and postmodern art has survived this long is because it is taught at schools (universities don't matter that much). Now you may wonder why the hell it is taught at school, but we know the reason already: Some idiot at the ministry of education suggested that postmodernism be taught at schools, and the general consensus was "I don't know what the hell he's talking about, therefore it must be important".

Naturally, nobody opposed the decision in fear of looking stupid.

So unless something even more stupid but wiser-sounding comes along, modern art will stay firmly rooted in the education system. Simple solution: Just ignore it.

Edit: Does anybody have an image they found awesome recently?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:28:58 pm by MagmaMcFry »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86201 on: August 22, 2012, 08:29:54 pm »

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of "stupid art." It's not working too well.

PS: Why is "looking awesome" a necessity for non-stupid art? That might help me figure out a definition that doesn't involve snobby and arbitrary authorities declaring things "stupid" and "non-stupid."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86202 on: August 22, 2012, 08:33:33 pm »

And when it produces neat looking stuff that you enjoy? Ignore that, too?

There's not a single standard of art, dude(tte). Folks have been arguing about aesthetics since the BCs for a reason.

Anyway. Only thing I care about when it comes to art is if I like looking at it. Effort expended and context I care zero about, especially the former. If a skill-less non-artist can produce something awesome looking with zippo effort, more power to 'em.

I like zen tangles. I make things that look remarkably like zen tangles by doodling all over the notes I take about various things. It's art in a very oblique way, but it definitely fails the skill/effort and context heuristics.

And that's just me. Someone else can happily be different in what they consider and appreciate as art. No good reason to try to crap over someone else's preferences.

E: The buggery is this nonsense doing in the happy thread, anyway? Can we take the art spat to its own thread?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:40:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #86203 on: August 22, 2012, 09:42:56 pm »

Macromeme made me feel warm and fuzzy inside today.

Of course, earlier I got the horrifying pokemon one, which was a combination of fascinating and why would you do this.
Man, this is a refresher. I've been getting repeat failbook and some gifs here and there.

That image is just plain awesome, and would make for an awesome movie/story. The hell your security blanket and plush toys have to put up with, just to let you sleep at night. Stuffed animals, and a protection blanket, up against all manners of night terrors and eldritch abominations. They don't sleep, so you can, child. Appreciate them, and don't be ashamed to honor them when you grow up, by offering them to help your kids in the future.

EDIT:
Okay, this made me laugh.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:54:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #86204 on: August 22, 2012, 10:34:08 pm »

Almost reaching the end of my Unforgotten Realms rewatch festival spanning weeks.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 ... 5745 5746 [5747] 5748 5749 ... 13325