Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5726 5727 [5728] 5729 5730 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15804408 times)

John Galt Fanfiction

• Bay Watcher
  • HE SAID, DISROBING OBJECTIVELY, SLOWLY, LOVINGLY
    • View Profile
    • CANDY CANDY CANDY CANDY CANDY
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #85905 on: August 19, 2012, 07:30:40 pm »

It's pretty okay if you're not actually angling for romance. Mutual friend zones are pretty much tops. And even if it is unfortunate, you're still in perfectly morally acceptable territory as long as you're treating it as a misfortune that they don't feel that way, rather than a fault in their character.

EDIT: In any case, this is the happy thread, so let's try to keep happy. Just as a reminder.

If you're not angling for a romance, then it's not a friendzone, just a friendship. The two terms are not interchangeable as they carry vastly different connotations.

Also, 'treating it as a misfortune' is still implying that you're treating them like they have an obligation - immediate or delayed - to eventually reciprocate your feelings ("poor unfortunate dears that they don't see how great you are!" sort of nonsense). If you're maintaining a relationship for the sole purpose of taking to a level that they other party has already expressed no desire or intention to return, that's pretty creepy and behaviour like that is probably the exact reason why they don't want to pursue a romantic involvement with you.

I know this is the Happy thread and I'm not trying to make anyone unhappy, it's just not that happyning to see so many people defend and uphold the concept of a friendzone when it's a pretty creepy and sometimes dangerous idea in the first place.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #85906 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:09 pm »

Also, 'treating it as a misfortune' is still implying that you're treating them like they have an obligation - immediate or delayed - to eventually reciprocate your feelings ("poor unfortunate dears that they don't see how great you are!" sort of nonsense).
Wait, how? "Treating it as a misfortune", at least as I intended it, means "Well, I wish it were otherwise, but it isn't. No reason to pass up a good friendship, though!" No obligation involved - hence the specific "rather than as a fault in their character".

EDIT: I'm saying there's a difference between "I wish it were so" and "It should be so".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:38:53 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #85907 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »

Also, caffeine is one hell of a marvelous drug.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85908 on: August 19, 2012, 07:43:40 pm »

Also, caffeine is one hell of a marvelous drug.
And legal, too! Huzzah!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

John Galt Fanfiction

• Bay Watcher
  • HE SAID, DISROBING OBJECTIVELY, SLOWLY, LOVINGLY
    • View Profile
    • CANDY CANDY CANDY CANDY CANDY
« Reply #85909 on: August 19, 2012, 07:45:55 pm »

Wishing it was something is the exact same as demanding it to be something, just more passive-aggressively. When you wish for something, it's something that you think should happen. You don't wish for things that you don't want to occur! So yeah, they're the same thing, just one's more traditionally close to the 'pining creepy dude' archetype.

happiness! happiness dammit, people!

And people accuse threads like these of being a circlejerk. Can't we discuss things on a discussion forum? What if it makes me happy to discuss things like these? I don't get what the point of this is.

Anyway, it's obvious that people are willing to go to great lengths to defend the concept of a friendzone beyond reason so whatever, let this be the last of it. Just remember that it's a stupid concept and can lead to potentially dangerous thinking and actions. Stop treating other people like objects that should be beholden to your whims and desires and treat them like they're human beings with their own identities and personalities, I guess is the thing that people upholding the concept of a friendzone damages, is my point.

Whatever, argument out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85910 on: August 19, 2012, 07:48:15 pm »

Nothing stopping you from making a thread to discuss the "friend zone", if you want. Problem is, telling people that their ideas are stupid and outdated isn't conducive to happiness, and this is (usually) a happy thread.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85911 on: August 19, 2012, 07:52:42 pm »

Okay, in an attempt to re-rail this, I'm gonna mention that I found something for randomly generating cults recently. Gonna help with my D&D campaign, that's for sure.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85912 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:31 pm »

I may have...just may have set up a huge sale today.

I'm talking almost 6 figures, when my normal stuff doesn't even top out at $1k.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85913 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:49 pm »

Okay, in an attempt to re-rail this, I'm gonna mention that I found something for randomly generating cults recently. Gonna help with my D&D campaign, that's for sure.
Please share, this sounds awesome.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85914 on: August 19, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »

Please share, this sounds awesome.
Seconded. Random generators can be all sorts of fun.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85915 on: August 19, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »

Here it is.

It turns out it's a list of cults, with you basically filling in the names. But still, it's pretty nice.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85916 on: August 19, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »

Here it is.

It turns out it's a list of cults, with you basically filling in the names. But still, it's pretty nice.
Umm...what are you supposed to do, exactly? I have a big blank thing.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85917 on: August 19, 2012, 08:04:17 pm »

I can imagine the 'jedi sacrificial cult of the rolling stones'

I think there was something like that starting up at my high school just before I graduated.

mcsafety

• Bay Watcher
  • ;p
    • View Profile
« Reply #85918 on: August 19, 2012, 08:11:14 pm »

we went through mcdonalds drive throu today and i got the Nugget shaped like a boot :p lol
name: magmammal
type:  Fire/kangaroo
evoles into Magkingbird (and gets wings and beak, with flying type and a crown )
pokedox: Magmammal was just a kangaroo until one day he ate coal, and it was so hot he got hot and he wanders the land burning his footsteps.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85919 on: August 19, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »

I may have...just may have set up a huge sale today.

I'm talking almost 6 figures, when my normal stuff doesn't even top out at $1k.
Good fucking gravy. My google-fu, despite being weak, tells me that I may have set up a printer sale that is worth more than a house for sale here. Said house is a 4500 square foot, 3 car attached garage, 6 bedroom, 4 bath behemoth.

I...how am I supposed to react to this, guys? I may never make in my lifetime what this printer is worth. And here I am, trying to sell it.

Okay, that's an exaggeration. I'll probably make that amount of money over my entire life. But not much more than that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:23:59 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 5726 5727 [5728] 5729 5730 ... 13325