Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5250 5251 [5252] 5253 5254 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15799968 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I made a speech about this a while back.

Here's another speech:
I guess I'm not sure, but it seems like alot of memorization. Or maybe I'm just looking at them like unintelligible blocks of lines and squiggles, when in reality they can be read naturally if I know how, and I just don't know how yet. Kind of like how in English you can read words you don't know and still pronounce them even if you don't know what they mean.
This is a big reason why alphabets tended to get preferred by people over logographies. A logography often took years for people to become fully literate in, but when Sejong the Great, emperor, schmart guy, and one of the few people historians call "the great" who actually seems to deserve it (although of course western scholars only translated the name, they didn't give it to him), developed the hangul alphabet, in which people could become literate in it in a matter of days.

As far as I know, China is actually the only country in the world that still uses logographs as its official language.

Don't you just love my speeches?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Speaking of butchering the english language, I just had two fun cases of that in rapid succession.  First, my co-worker tells me "that reminds me of the game Snood" and I reply "that reminds you of games nude?"      

Then I looked at the shipment I was working on and noticed the consignee made a spelling error.... "Repubic Machine Tools"

hohohoho

Yeah... it's been a long week.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would say if you want to write english correctly than it is one of the hardest languages to learn, but englsih native speakers are very forgiving of gramatical mistakes and improper conjugations. Also at least people in new work are forgiving of accents, makes sense once you see how many foriegners there are. English ative speakers also make gramatical mistakes, for example "X and me did Y" should be "X and I did Y" and instead of "It was me" it should be "It was I". I'm sure I ahve made at least one or more gramatical mistakes in this post even.

Those things make english easier to learn than if you were to learn to master it.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I noticed every one of those typos.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would say if you want to write english correctly than it is one of the hardest languages to learn, but englsih native speakers are very forgiving of gramatical mistakes and improper conjugations. Also at least people in new work are forgiving of accents, makes sense once you see how many foriegners there are. English ative speakers also make gramatical mistakes, for example "X and me did Y" should be "X and I did Y" and instead of "It was me" it should be "It was I". I'm sure I ahve made at least one or more gramatical mistakes in this post even.

Those things make english easier to learn than if you were to learn to master it.
Of course, quite a few grammatical mistakes have been "made cannon", which sort of just makes things worse.

In other news, today I learned from crash course world history (which is incidentally something amazing), that in 1324 Mansa Musa accidentally the Egyptian economy with massive amounts of gold.

Then he died in 1337. The man was the first 1337 H4X0R, and he didn't even know it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

Man getting back to JA2 is so fun. I'm probably gonna have some happy people in that thread.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

That's something I try to do, but even in Hiragana I still get tripped up by the ones that look alike, namely Ne ね, Wa わ, and Re れ. I just need some more drilling in Katakana, and it'll stick eventually.
Somehow I find those easier to remember - I can just sortof bundle them together in my mind and drag them out by remembering that they look similar.

Of course, quite a few grammatical mistakes have been "made cannon", which sort of just makes things worse.
Yeah, you don't fuck with cannon-armed grammarians.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Both of the crash course series are rather awesome, Pnx, though the World History one (and its Mongolian exceptions!) is the more interesting of the two. I'm still not really all that interested in biology, but its certainly more interesting to watch that what we had in highschool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Went bowling today. Did fairly bad, but it was the first time in years and I had lots of fun. :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

If I remember right, there are actually tens of thousands of Kanji characters, but you only need to know a very small portion (I think it's still over 1,000, though) to be considered literate... fluent, even.  I think most of them are dialect in nature.  Just like in english, no one uses the whole dictionary.

I'm recalling this off the top of my head from 6 years ago, so I'm likely wrong about something here.  I wish I had time to study Japanese again.  I really wanted to learn.
(I think)
It's officially like 30,000 kanji to be officially literate at the grade school level.

Yeah, I made a speech about this a while back.

Here's another speech:
This is a big reason why alphabets tended to get preferred by people over logographies. A logography often took years for people to become fully literate in, but when Sejong the Great, emperor, schmart guy, and one of the few people historians call "the great" who actually seems to deserve it (although of course western scholars only translated the name, they didn't give it to him), developed the hangul alphabet, in which people could become literate in it in a matter of days.

As far as I know, China is actually the only country in the world that still uses logographs as its official language.

Don't you just love my speeches?

Yay Korea! :-D

I'm proud be fluentish, but it doesn't help much in learning other languages. Like, Spanish/French/Italian/Port are similar. >.>

Anyways, Sejong is like the most respected kings of all Korean history. He has little negative stuff and lots of positives. The fact that he made Korean and was said to be a good king, and reigned in a time of peace.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

English certainly has changed over the past 1000 years; this, for example, is in Old English; the original version of Beowulf:
http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/medieval/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/a4.1.html
Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,

monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

English certainly has changed over the past 1000 years; this, for example, is in Old English; the original version of Beowulf:
http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/medieval/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/a4.1.html
Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,

monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra

Wow.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile

I've just met my future wife.. I'm sure of it
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Can't exactly call it moonrunes, but its far enough away from recent english to be more or less the same thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Old English is, despite it's name, not old fashion English, it is a different language.
Pages: 1 ... 5250 5251 [5252] 5253 5254 ... 13325