Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4782 4783 [4784] 4785 4786 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15780655 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #71745 on: February 17, 2012, 07:31:27 am »

I've gotten no less than three separate comments on my writing ability in the last day, in three completely different realms from three completely different audiences.  This should be motivating me.  It's getting there, I think.
You can travel between realms?  :o

I think it just makes sense that Aqizzar is a slider.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71746 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:04 am »

Yea, he traded the ability to cross realms with the dimensional witch for his insanity, and now the poor man must go through life with a stable mindset. I often pity him.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71747 on: February 17, 2012, 07:37:41 am »

Yea, he traded the ability to cross realms with the dimensional witch for his insanity, and now the poor man must go through life with a stable mindset. I often pity him.
THE HORROR  :'(
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71748 on: February 17, 2012, 07:38:32 am »

Attempting to sum up the storyline of the entire Chzo mythos made me want to play the games again, and then I remembered of Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous wonderment and 1213.
*Hugs*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71749 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:25 am »

I'm so painfully cognizant of my own existence, traveling between temporal instantiations to show people my Homestuck fanfics is all I have to keep me going.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71750 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:04 am »

Attempting to sum up the storyline of the entire Chzo mythos made me want to play the games again, and then I remembered of Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous wonderment and 1213.

The Chzo mythos is one of the only things that gave me genuine fear while playing. It didn't help that in the first game it always sounded like someone was whispering and skulking around in the background, and the second game was a guidedangit so you're getting chased by the bad guy for eternity.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71751 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:24 am »

The Chzo mythos is one of the only things that gave me genuine fear while playing. It didn't help that in the first game it always sounded like someone was whispering and skulking around in the background, and the second game was a guidedangit so you're getting chased by the bad guy for eternity.
It's been ages since I played it, so I get to experience all that all over again :D
*Hugs*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71752 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:34 am »

I wonder why Dwarf Fortress lags so much at embark then - it works fine once it gets going, it just needs like five minutes between hitting Embark and when it actually starts animating.
That's a good question. On my 1GHz, 256RAM laptop it takes about the same amount of time to cross that point.
Maybe there's a piece of code that Toad put in there, making the game wait basically doing nothing, so that he can later(when he's like 60 and retired) change it to four, then three and so on minutes, so that he can still say he's optimising the game while chilling out on the Bahamas.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71753 on: February 17, 2012, 07:47:16 am »

I'm so painfully cognizant of my own existence, traveling between temporal instantiations to show people my Homestuck fanfics is all I have to keep me going.
I just realised that Jade Harley is the reincarnation of Yuuko Ichihara.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71754 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:38 am »

Reading a complete archive of the games, in which the creator himself drops in to comment on them, may steal some of your original enjoyment, but will replace it with the enjoyment of having a keener eye for story construction.  It's also a hilarious read, because you find out just how slapdash the games really were.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71755 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49:08 am »

Reading a complete archive of the games, in which the creator himself drops in to comment on them, may steal some of your original enjoyment, but will replace it with the enjoyment of having a keener eye for story construction.  It's also a hilarious read, because you find out just how slapdash the games really were.
Well, I think reading this has superceded actually replaying the games right now, thanks for the link :D
*Hugs*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71756 on: February 17, 2012, 08:50:05 am »

I assumed it was 3.2 total, divided into quarters, because the idea of selling a desktop computer with 12.8Ghz of combined processing power seemed ridiculous to me.  Judging by the description and the vintage, I guess you're right.  I wonder why Dwarf Fortress lags so much at embark then - it works fine once it gets going, it just needs like five minutes between hitting Embark and when it actually starts animating.
My understanding is that it's making a metric crapton of edits to the HD, spitting out all the temp files it uses during play. The inverse of that is the five minutes it needs when saving and exiting, as it copies all the state data from those temp files to the files in the actual save world folder.

Oddly, it doesn't take me all that long from embark to play, but it takes a ridiculous amount of time to save. And at least on this work laptop (2.66GHz dual-core) and the older version of DF, I had to save and reload frequently because I'd get these random slowdowns that seemed related to pathfinding (as in, I'd pause the game, make a bunch of orders and when I resume the game my FPS has dropped into the single digits).

I'll be curious this weekend to see if I'm still having the problem with the new version.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #71757 on: February 17, 2012, 08:53:12 am »

Oh that could be it....
I'm going to try and run it from my SSD tonight, see if that speeds up the loading/saving times significantly.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71758 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:10 am »

Leftover spaghetti on toast. I think I have a new favourite breakfast.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71759 on: February 17, 2012, 08:58:05 am »

Leftover spaghetti on toast. I think I have a new favourite breakfast.
Garlic toast?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 ... 4782 4783 [4784] 4785 4786 ... 13325