Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4394 4395 [4396] 4397 4398 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15743454 times)

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [☢] Things Reimu found in pripyat today thread (CIRNOBYL?!) (Happy Thread)
« Reply #65925 on: November 09, 2011, 09:36:53 am »

I just re-found Keane's Bedshaped. I had forgotten all about it. Despite it being a very sad song, I'm so happy to have found it again.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #65926 on: November 09, 2011, 10:19:50 am »

Finished a 2-week job for one of my old employers (unrelated to the place they manage). It felt nice helping them out, as well as knowing that I'm still a candidate for any design stuff they'll need once they get their own place setup. My prayers are with them that they can get their new business off the ground.

I guess the feeling of doing actual moving around work (unlike the online setup I'm using) and actually interacting with my clients adds another dimension to my freelancing work. It was pretty fun. I hope I can find more local design work to do.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #65927 on: November 09, 2011, 10:27:45 am »

Happy Carl Sagan Day everyone! C:

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65928 on: November 09, 2011, 10:37:30 am »

I just realized that whatever my ex-boyfriend may have managed vis-a-vis taking 5 courses a semester for his entire undergraduate career, I am going to take no more than 4.  Ever.  For the rest of my academic career.

Ohhhh shit not this junk again.

I didn't do any meaningful art practice for nearly a decade because of comparisons like this. People younger, more talented and overall cruel towards me for no reason making any feeble attempts at drawing anything pointless. It's a black hole of ineptitude and feeling like crap.

Except unlike me you have talents and can go the distance, so it's not something I want to see you suffer through.

Remember: There's a reason that your ex is your ex. Just do what you do and you'll get where you're going. If it helps, I've been taking 5 classes a semester, and it hasn't helped. In fact, I feel extremely overmatched by my schedule, and my classes aren't even close to the difficulty level of yours.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65929 on: November 09, 2011, 10:53:31 am »

I just realized that whatever my ex-boyfriend may have managed vis-a-vis taking 5 courses a semester for his entire undergraduate career, I am going to take no more than 4.  Ever.  For the rest of my academic career.

Ohhhh shit not this junk again.

I didn't do any meaningful art practice for nearly a decade because of comparisons like this. People younger, more talented and overall cruel towards me for no reason making any feeble attempts at drawing anything pointless. It's a black hole of ineptitude and feeling like crap.

Except unlike me you have talents and can go the distance, so it's not something I want to see you suffer through.

He was in computer science at a less famous university, which he had been trained in by his PhD-bearing father since his early childhood.  I solved many problems better and faster than he did, without anything like that same training (I basically started my technical education at 19).  So as far as I know, it wasn't that he was more strictly-speaking talented than I am, though goodness knows his personality and brain are better than I will ever be at planning out time and schedules and getting things done.  As far as I can tell, the very thing that made me "special," that being my inhuman abilities to work as long as I have a good block of time to do it in, as well as an extreme lasting creativity, has made it basically impossible for me to keep to any sort of schedule.  Too much mental flexibility, and too much thinking about possibilities, and too much of that thing where I get tired and don't want to sleep or stop whatever I'm doing.  Being a "determinator" at the same time as being a cloudcuckoolander does have its serious drawbacks.

I've already suffered with this issue for years, but what I'm realizing now is that the very most important person to defeat is myself and my own inabilities, not anyone else.  That's why I'm working to become a mathematician, and not any of the things I've been traditionally good at.  This is the best way to "become myself."

Or, if you like, I'd like to become a so-called [warning: Tvtropes] spirited competitor.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65930 on: November 09, 2011, 10:59:53 am »

How many more tropes must you have before you're happy, lady!? How many must you haaaaaaave!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65931 on: November 09, 2011, 11:01:31 am »

Only enough to become strong, spirited, good, and gracious =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65932 on: November 09, 2011, 11:03:00 am »

Crouching Yamato Nadeshiko, Hidden Badass?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65933 on: November 09, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

Nah, not a Yamato Nadeshiko.  I'd go with "slightly better at not wearing my feelings on my sleeve," or perhaps "calm one day of the week, rather than running around like a chicken on all seven."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #65934 on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:01 am »

"This is to notify you that on 2011-11-08 the UConn Bursar's Office wrote a refund
check for you in the amount of $910.00."

Oh gog I'm making money from college.  Do good in school kids.  I've already got over $200 about a month ago I think.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #65935 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:04 am »

"This is to notify you that on 2011-11-08 the UConn Bursar's Office wrote a refund
check for you in the amount of $910.00."

Oh gog I'm making money from college.  Do good in school kids.  I've already got over $200 about a month ago I think.

Sounds about right for the refund from a low end community school with a full pell grant, or perhaps a better school if you managed to snag a scholarship or two. The excess from my grants in my first semester when I was 17 bought me a fancy new computer. The excess from my grants in my second semester bought me some antibiotics so I wouldn't die of pneumonia.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #65936 on: November 09, 2011, 11:46:41 am »

Yeah it's a full pell grant with a few scholarships attached.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65937 on: November 09, 2011, 11:53:09 am »

running around like a chicken on all seven

When I first read this, my brain parsed it in the same way as "a dog on all fours". So I ended up picturing a seven-legged chicken.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65938 on: November 09, 2011, 12:36:44 pm »

So my date was pretty fun.
If the thread title were still "Thing that made you happy today", this would be one of them. I mean it still is but I cannot say so by referring to the thread title without doing what I just did.
Wait? You and Vector?
Naw. I am, and shall remain for the foreseeable future, impractically far away for that to be possible, and also know nothing of the mathematics jokes. I meant to say that it made me happy that Vector had a fun date.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65939 on: November 09, 2011, 01:23:17 pm »

Watching a TV show about 'real' people and their problems, the trick is while the stories could be bearing weight and deep messages they are employing amateur actors at best so the whole thing becomes an insanely morbid joke where you really feel like you should care about these things but you can't help yourself and stop laughing at how silly all of it looks and sounds.

Case in point, a kid of 13 years has made a child with a girl of 15 years, the acting is very poor and the funny things that his parents are exploding about are making it even more ridicilous, like having a (badly acted) nervous breakdown because their son chose a bad name (the name was ok, nothing really special about it, unless their families were murdered by a man called that).

All in all it's the little things that make me laugh like an idiot and make me forget about my crap for a little while ^___^
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4394 4395 [4396] 4397 4398 ... 13325