Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4304 4305 [4306] 4307 4308 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15776812 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: [~~~] Things tildes made you do today thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #64575 on: October 19, 2011, 05:11:34 pm »

I wonder what the viability of a moat of molten metal is. Certainly, true lava would be to viscous and hot to be effectively pumped through a furnace and back into the moat, but molten zinc at, say, 550o is both less hot and a lot less viscous. If you stage a lot of heating steps I think it could be viable.
wow... I'm getting a liquid zinc moat ASAP

or maybe molten magnesium in a vacuum that I can open at will and blind/burn all of the zombies/protestors/friendsenemies/medieval pitchfork wielding peasants/DF players that think DF is real.
Why would you use a moat for that? Just store it in powder form in small silos with a blast charge underneath the floor. Instant blinding dust explosion  :D
Just get a mercury moat.  If you fall in there's no way you're ever getting out even with help, and even if you somehow manage to get out you still have mercury in your lungs and on every inch of your skin so you're still gonna die.
Mercury vapors mate, don't wanna live near a moat of it, would be a short life. Plus, it evaporates while you're looking at it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64576 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:12 pm »

Just get a mercury moat.  If you fall in there's no way you're ever getting out even with help, and even if you somehow manage to get out you still have mercury in your lungs and on every inch of your skin so you're still gonna die.
while a slow and painful death from heavy metal poisoning seems perfect for most situations, watching people burn outside your house as they take a 'liesurely' swim in boiling hot metal that is also glowing white and outshining the sun seems much more evil.

besides, they'd simply float in the mercury. iron does, I think a human body is a smidge less dense than iron.
About a factor 8. A human has a density just under 1 kg/m3. Iron is 7.8  kg/m3, while mercury is nearly double that at a backbreaking 13.5 kg/m3.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64577 on: October 19, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »

Sounds like you could almost walk across a Mercury moat.  Is it a Newtonian fluid?

Not that a liquid iron moat wouldn't be better, since by definition it's like a million degrees.  And anything that cools makes neato statues.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64578 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23:47 pm »

Mercury should behave like a newtonian fluid, as it is in it's atomic state when it's liquid and you need polymer-like structures to form non-newtonian liquids. On the other hand, since mercury has a density 13 times higher than your body, you only need to displace a volume equal to 1/13th of your own volume, so that's up to your knees or something? Maybe even less.

Also, liquid iron is 1550 °C or something, but it has a high viscosity and density. You'd burn up before you sink even when carrying full plate armor. So no pretty statues.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64579 on: October 19, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »

I got 4 wisdom teeth out.

The operation went a lot nicer than I expected.
I've never had any problems with mine, but I've heard that they can really mess your mouth up if they come out wrong. Was probably a wise decision to get rid of them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64580 on: October 19, 2011, 05:43:26 pm »

Most people who have built castles with a moat just set it up to be a swimming pool.

I got 4 wisdom teeth out.

The operation went a lot nicer than I expected.

I ate buffalo wings the night I got mine removed.  I must have had an epic level dentist or I'm just weird.  I only had a little bit of soreness immediately afterwards, and it was all gone by the next day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64581 on: October 19, 2011, 05:58:33 pm »

"Congratulations!  You have declared math."

Also, my schedule.  Tuesdays and thursdays: classes from 9:30 AM for 6 hours.  Straight.  That's 1.5 hours of math followed by 4.5 hours of rhetoric.

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: One hour of class each day, with... Professor Poland >_<

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64582 on: October 19, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

Finally out for today.  In at 8am out at 7pm.  By the time I get home its usual been 12 hours.  Wednesdays are harsh but being free is so so sweet.  Thursdays and Fridays are cake walks.

A lot of fun stuff happened today too.  I seem to forget that people actually like me.  I need to use this and make life more entertaining for myself.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64583 on: October 19, 2011, 06:47:25 pm »

I had my wisdom teeth out a long time ago.  Three wisdom teeth and an abscessed molar.  I barely had any room in my mouth to begin with, orthodontic issues run in my family, and one of the wisdom teeth was squeezing that abscessed molar which was the most painful thing I've ever felt in my life.  Oddly that same wisdom tooth is going to be removed this november.  I don't remember what happened to it but it's broke as fuck.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64584 on: October 19, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »

I still have all my wisdom teeth, and they are all breaking through the gums.

I have no idea if this is a good thing or not.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64585 on: October 19, 2011, 06:58:46 pm »

I have a feeling I've typed this same thing like a dozen times.  But anyway, they're different for everyone.  My wisdom teeth never even cleared the gumline, and I had to have them surgically removed because they came in almost sideways.  I had an abscessed molar from the impacting, and it still needs a root canal now (but I'm a huge wuss).
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64586 on: October 19, 2011, 07:10:57 pm »

I had a legitimate reason to say I WARNED YOU ABOUT STAIRS BRO!!!! I TOLD YOU DOG! earlier.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64587 on: October 19, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »

Yo dawg I heard you like "yo dawg", so I put a "yo dawg" in a "yo dawg" So you can "yo dawg" while you "yo dawg."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64588 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:04 pm »

Zero Punctuation today, and not for the reason you probably think. Thank you, Yahtzee, for reminding me of Final Fantasy 7, and through it, the much-more-beloved-by-me Final Fantasy 6. They both have nostalgia value for me, but goddamn if I didn't love 6 to fucking death. And this time, I'm not going to abuse what I've learned about the system. No glitching my way to infinite gold through thousands of dirks, no careful planning of esper bonuses, no level 99 Locke with a Genji Glove, an Offering, and two Atma Weapons dealing more damage than it is mathematically possible for any foe to actually have hit points bullshit. I don't think I'll even use savestates.

Except for the Vector Railway, because fuck doing that over and over. I've seen that poorly-animated tunnel far too much for a single lifetime. And maybe the pre-Flying Continent airship battle, because the octopus battle there is always a clusterfuck for me if I don't use shenanigans. I'll have to see how that goes.

EDIT: Screw work, I'm going to get reacquainted with 14 pixelated fellows I used to know.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64589 on: October 19, 2011, 07:23:46 pm »

The game's a lot better if you do your best to not level up. Last run I did all my characters were in their high 20s to low 30s and no one had ultima. I actually died a few times in kefka's tower.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 4304 4305 [4306] 4307 4308 ... 13325