Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4066 4067 [4068] 4069 4070 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15764564 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Who?] Things you mistook for someone today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #61005 on: August 30, 2011, 02:09:37 pm »

Ah, the statement about his progression through appendices is in Method, but it certainly made me raise an eyebrow.

For Meditations, part of it may be my pleasure at seeing a mathematician at work on the fundamental problems of existence.  Part of my happiness was also in noting how Nietzsche riffs off of Descartes' formulations and symbols in his "secondary revolution."  First, we pass through theology; then a shift that says "we can know anything, simply with the power of our own minds;" then a shift that says "we can know nothing with certitude, and God is dead!  But these structures are not valueless."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #61006 on: August 30, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »

My main problem is the number of key assertions he makes that seem to boil down to, "Because I can have this thought, it must be true", and I didn't buy his reasoning for anything other than proving that his (okay, technically my) mind exists. Everything else in there was beautiful, but unfortunately a lot of it (nearly all, by the end) rested on these sorts of things and that kinda tarnished the whole thing for me. It seemed to undermine his reasoning-from-doubt approach.

Damn, though, I need to expand my reading. I've read a little Descartes and a little Hume and that is basically it for philosophy. Goal get!

EDIT: And just to be clearer, it was interesting reading even if I found myself going, "Wait, what? No, that doesn't follow..." or "Well, sure, if I grant something that I didn't earlier on", particularly since later on, the latter was what I encountered more than anything else so it was all the result of a few hiccups in the middle.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:23:42 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61007 on: August 30, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »

He, uh, tends to be kind of a prick. That happens when you look down on humanity, though.

Looks down on humanity, you say? I should give this kindred soul a try!

I wouldn't say Descartes is looking down on humanity at all.  On the contrary, his grant proposal was one of the most quakingly humble things I've ever read.
DOH.  :-[
Guess I'm stuck with Nietzsche then.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61008 on: August 30, 2011, 03:11:04 pm »

Had a pretty good time in France overall.  And on the way home my family decided to take a tiny detour and pass through 5 countries in total because we could which was nice too.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #61009 on: August 30, 2011, 03:11:40 pm »

You are the Kaitou Kid, it is you.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #61010 on: August 30, 2011, 03:13:21 pm »

Seeing people shootdown a human spammer~      Fantastic. Gives you a nice warm feeling. Or maybe thats anger a-brewing. . . .

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61011 on: August 30, 2011, 03:16:00 pm »

Oh man that is the best avatar ever.

Well, not quite, but almost.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #61012 on: August 30, 2011, 03:42:05 pm »

Godel, Escher, Bach get.
Finally have it, after wanting the book for about a year now. :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:44:41 pm by alway »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61013 on: August 30, 2011, 03:56:45 pm »

Oh man that is the best avatar ever.

Well, not quite, but almost.
Thank you, it took 3 arduous minutes of searching the internet and cropping.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #61014 on: August 30, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »

So, while I was at a lan party last weekend, I introduced a couple of people to the Kerbal Space Program, and it soon shot acroos the 40 or so people present. While only 11 were awake at the time, but it didn't take long for someone  to have doomed the Kerbals to a long, slow, high-g death as their ship spun rapidly away from their home at 3000+ metres-per-second.

Jeb was cool with the whole thing.

There was also much exploding of poorly-designed rockets, spinning of weirdly designed rockets, breaking-up-and-becoming-a-war-crime rockets, and the meme-ation of the phrase "NEEDS MORE THRUST"

When the rest of the people woke, it started to spread through them as well.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61015 on: August 30, 2011, 04:07:02 pm »

I still can't get mine more than a couple thousand meters up before out of fuel and/or FUN.
Obviously, it's a good thing I never worked for NASA.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #61016 on: August 30, 2011, 04:11:33 pm »

I still can't get mine more than a couple thousand meters up before out of fuel and/or FUN.
Obviously, it's a good thing I never worked for NASA.

The person in question got bored after leaving them spinning for an hour. They'd reached millions and millions of metres by then. He had used some parts from the various mods available on the forums, though. It's harder without.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61017 on: August 30, 2011, 04:41:54 pm »

I can't stay flying straight up to save their little lives.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #61018 on: August 30, 2011, 04:55:15 pm »

I can't stay flying straight up to save their little lives.
Did you make the same mistake I did first time playing, and mis-interpret the symmetry option? That really helps with building rockets with balance. Yet ironically enough, one that had enough flexibility to seem like it was duct-taped together seemed to be one of my best rocket designs (built as symmetrical as possible, sans symmetry option. Harder than it sounds.).

I personally found that a good build following the 'boring, yet practical' build is having the top stage a single liquid booster with at least a tri-wing (especially if you aim to o flying a bit post-launch, or aim for a target on landing), below that is a double-tank liquid, and surround that with 6-8 solid rockets, and you'll have a pretty decent controlled launch. It wouldn't hurt to have a second guidance block on one of the liquid rockets.

Since I already hit a decent height on my runthroughs, I'm looking forward to more exotic models like the Cosmic Jellyfish. That one was awesome.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:07:54 pm by Itnetlolor »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #61019 on: August 30, 2011, 05:06:36 pm »

Dude, I'd forgotten how good the ending of Majora's Mask is.
Pages: 1 ... 4066 4067 [4068] 4069 4070 ... 13325