Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4065 4066 [4067] 4068 4069 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15757900 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: [Who?] Things you mistook for someone today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #60990 on: August 30, 2011, 01:25:22 pm »

The great thing about metric is that you can use kiloliters if you want to.

The weird thing is when people say metric tonne instead of megagram, because megagram just sounds more awesome.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60991 on: August 30, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »

Wait, wait.  So there's kilometers.  Then meters.  Then centimeters.  Then milometers.  Then for volume we have liters.  And milliliters.  But no kiloliters or centiliters?...  :o
That's milimetres. And yes, you can have centilitres and kilolitres. Centilitres are commonly used to measure shot glass volume. Common usage frequency might vary from region to region, but ant of those prefixes is correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

ed: typo
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:27:47 pm by Il Palazzo »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #60992 on: August 30, 2011, 01:27:12 pm »

I've seen kiloliters used where appropriate.

And Solifuge, WOO!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #60993 on: August 30, 2011, 01:29:10 pm »

Wait, wait.  So there's kilometers.  Then meters.  Then centimeters.  Then milometers.  Then for volume we have liters.  And milliliters.  But no kiloliters or centiliters?...  :o

Oh, they're there. Just don't get a lot of use is all. I remember the old Traveller/Megatraveller RPG measured a lot of ship components and cargo in kiloliters.

@Vector: Wait...I thought you were excoriating Descartes just the other day?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60994 on: August 30, 2011, 01:30:01 pm »

Those both exist according to online dictionaries. They're just not in common usage.

How about decimeters? Which are 1/10th of a meter? You ever used that one?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60995 on: August 30, 2011, 01:33:41 pm »

So I found a Youtube channel with a bunch of Mega Man Battle Network OSTs. I am nostalgiaing so hard right now you wouldn't believe it.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #60996 on: August 30, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »

Woo for delayed but successful jobness, Soli!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60997 on: August 30, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »

@Vector: Wait...I thought you were excoriating Descartes just the other day?

Yup.

Our moron teacher got us to read what amounted to his grant request for his real work, rather than what he actually had to say, which was significantly better explained.  To be sure, there are some stupid places and some positions where one could draw obvious conclusions he didn't quite get to, inconsistencies, etc., but in total it is quite the marvelous work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60998 on: August 30, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »

I for one was wondering at all the Decartes hate.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60999 on: August 30, 2011, 01:41:01 pm »

The man's writings have something about them that makes them very irritating to read imo.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61000 on: August 30, 2011, 01:44:02 pm »

He, uh, tends to be kind of a prick. That happens when you look down on humanity, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61001 on: August 30, 2011, 01:45:12 pm »

I wouldn't say Descartes is looking down on humanity at all.  On the contrary, his grant proposal was one of the most quakingly humble things I've ever read.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #61002 on: August 30, 2011, 01:54:25 pm »

Which was what he actually had to say? I should give it a read if it's better-explained than Meditations.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61003 on: August 30, 2011, 01:56:56 pm »

Which was what he actually had to say? I should give it a read if it's better-explained than Meditations.

It was Meditations.

You know the interesting thing about Meditations?  It's organized into six pieces, each attached to a "day."  It starts with nothing and ends with the world entire, and there is no seventh piece.

You the interesting thing about his appendices on physics and optics?  They start with light, and move on to the stars, and to the planets, and then to plants, and slowly to human life.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #61004 on: August 30, 2011, 02:03:55 pm »

... My copy did not include appendices somehow, as far as I can recall. I should find a better. I didn't think much of the Meditations, but part of that may have been a professor whose goto response whenever I asked about something was a non-answer ("Well, Descartes would probably have said that he knows better than you" or something to that effect, which I just took as a signal to drop it and let him move on with the discussion).

EDIT: Heh, I had missed the symbolism there with the days. Descartes seems like the sort to have intended it, too. That is +1 respect point, at least.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:07:32 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4065 4066 [4067] 4068 4069 ... 13325