Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3831 3832 [3833] 3834 3835 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15781883 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I just got back from watching the final Harry Potter movie in the series. The experience has me uncommonly nostalgic.

It's been a long journey, from the first book's publication in 1997... I was an awkward middleschool student back then, having just moved to a new life, with new friends, in a new town, with a new father at home. I tried to read the books, finding that I resonated (as many children no doubt did) with the protagonist's struggles at home, before he was swept into the world of Hogwarts. Despite this, and being a sucker for fantasy-adventure stories, another part of me wanted to hate the books.

I'd taken Robert Frost's words a bit too closely to heart, and found myself pushing away anything that was popular. I was a bit resentful too; with my long brown hair and the round glasses I wore for lectures, I was often teased by kids about my unfortunate resemblance to Harry. This got a bit worse when young Daniel Radcliffe put a real face to him. Little 12-year-old me damned the day my glasses were smashed up along my forehead, cutting a zig-zagging scrape above my eyebrow, I tell you what.

Many times I would try to read one of the books, at the suggestion of family and friends, or out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about. Nevertheless, my resentment always won out in the end, and I'd set it down for years at a time. I was pressured into seeing the movies as they hit theaters, and admitted to enjoying them; first, as a child with an appreciation for fantasy and adventure, then as an adolescent for those awkward and silly romantic subplots, and most recently as a young man with an interest in good characters and storytelling.

It's 2011. I'm an adult now, and the stories and their films are over. It's a bit sad that, only in the last few years have I come to appreciate the stories for what they were; the fantasy epic of my generation, with a story that has grown and matured alongside me. I wish I could have changed the mind of the quiet, awkward, staunchly independent child I'd been, and convinced him to stick it out and give it a chance, just to be able to share that experience with others while it unfolded. Still, I'm glad to have been around for it, and I thank J.K. Rowling for having written it.

tl;dr It was really good. I'm going to start what I should have started 14 years ago, and read the books.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

Still playing crawl. Looking at the message log while my Orc Sorcerer Nordag is raising the dead. He chooses a giant frog.

THE DEAD ARE HOPPING!

Just... You win whoever made it check if it was a frog being ressurected. You win the WHOLE internet.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Was just playing crawl.
My human wizzard died trying to reach the green jelly alter... I wanted a jelly wizzard!!!!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

Also I just managed to crush a two headed ogre like a grape. The mental image is vastly amusing.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Also I just managed to crush a two headed ogre like a grape. The mental image is vastly amusing.
What happens to all the bones then?

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

I feel like a terrible person for laughing... But should you really be on a computer if you're going to follow random instructions with the words "lol" and "newfag" in direct association?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Hey, HOPrs are cool.  I mean, you have a pretty huge supply of allies if you eventually decide to raid Orc...

If you stab an ogre hard enough you "Dice it like an onion", apparently.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

1 bottle of rum later... HIGHSCORE!!! Also doing well in crawl.  :P

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

Hey, HOPrs are cool.  I mean, you have a pretty huge supply of allies if you eventually decide to raid Orc...

If you stab an ogre hard enough you "Dice it like an onion", apparently.
Tea on monitor again.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Finally got someone to remove my ingrown nail on my left toe.

IT WAS HELLISHLY PAINFUL, AS IF MY TOE WAS BEING SAWED OFF FROM IT'S FOOT.

Nevertheless, it was worth it, as my toe can finally breathe, and it can be used in kicking without any fear of it backstabbing me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile

New avatar, man do I love the stones.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

My god I am full forever. This is the most successful overindulgent thing I have ever eaten.

Right, so, you take a roast beef, ham, cheese and salami sanwhich without a bottom piece of bread and place it on a plate with high sides. Place a fried egg on top of that. Cover that and the bottom of the plate with molten cheese. Now cover that in tomato soup. Now place fries in the soup surrounding the sanwhich in the middle.

How did I never see this back in the states its delicious its like an alternate style of philly cheesesteak.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile

My god I am full forever. This is the most successful overindulgent thing I have ever eaten.

Right, so, you take a roast beef, ham, cheese and salami sanwhich without a bottom piece of bread and place it on a plate with high sides. Place a fried egg on top of that. Cover that and the bottom of the plate with molten cheese. Now cover that in tomato soup. Now place fries in the soup surrounding the sanwhich in the middle.

How did I never see this back in the states its delicious its like an alternate style of philly cheesesteak.

Decadence.

Pure, absolute decadence. I salute thee.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile

Fuck yes, I passed the Quantum Mechanics exam.

The fact that it was looming at the horizon and getting closer day by day had been weighing down on me for months. And then I went, wrote and passed easily.

also, now I can finaly claim to know science. I know fucking quantum mechanics.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos
Pages: 1 ... 3831 3832 [3833] 3834 3835 ... 13325