Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15883154 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you HAPPY today thread.
« Reply #8145 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »

No I was giving everyone else a happy birthday from here to now.

My birthday is in like a month.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: April 20, 2010, 09:15:56 pm »

Bwahaha. XD
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: April 20, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »

Happy Birthday from the past!!!

Promise me you will read this on your birthday Toony.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: April 21, 2010, 12:49:01 am »

Happy birthday people you are all awesome.

Belated happy birthday, Toony. Or... advanced? No idea.

Also, the demon Nginx has been vanquished. This makes me happy.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: April 21, 2010, 12:57:24 am »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: April 21, 2010, 01:00:15 am »

YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: April 21, 2010, 01:24:00 am »

It's pretty sweet though. I have almost all of them. I'm only missing 22.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: April 21, 2010, 01:56:24 am »

I was gonna post this in life advice but... Hey that's more the "Show everyone you're a social nutcase" board so I'm posting this here. Where I know people that might be able to chime in.

I've wanted to... Write for some time. Just... Write. Like story's or things. Novels maybe? I have the creative urge but not the willpower it seems. Basically... I can't make myself do anything. I just stare at my paper or monitor, all the ideas wiped from my head. It's like a block or something and it's starting to bother me as I really desperately need a way to express myself.

I think I need something to push me. Like Exercises or something like that. Or prompts. But as I always notice when it's time to do something about it... I don't know where to start!

So if anyone has any advice or something I'd feel really happy. Just anything.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: April 21, 2010, 02:00:49 am »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: April 21, 2010, 02:01:35 am »

How about this for an exercise: Take a song you like (ones that tell stories are better for this) and convert it into prose. A lot of the structural things are already there and you can use it to get a feel for writing.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8155 on: April 21, 2010, 02:38:07 am »

What I usually do is I take an idea I already worked with before and flush out all sorts of detail behind it, like an environment, location, or device of some sort, and just go nuts with it, trying to make sense of them. It'll start off as a few small things, but then you link them amongst itself and other related elements, and then evolve outward from there.

Like for instance, I start off with an idea of a floating island, I then come up with a reason (why) it's floating, and then what kind of people wanted to make it float; it then evolves into the kind of society and cultures spread throughout it, the architecture, the politics within, the unique technology, and it's reclusive nature; and then life within the island as a citizen, the fact that this island doesn't always stay in the same spot or face the same direction every day. There's an uncannily infinite source of water, only to discover that some of the waterfalls coming off of the island are actually going inside and are being filtered within the island and coming out fresh; power plants double as temples spread throughout the massive island community and united together inspire the community to practice a natural magic that comes through a complete understanding of how God thinks and asking for His permission fully aware the consequences that can form by even the simplest of actions. Toss in a couple adventuring explorers to visit the island and tell this crazy-ass place from their perspective and describe it again except as the adventurers, and forget and try to remember the details, and there's your story.

I remember I did that for a high school and a more elaborate illustrated version for a college course (told in a different perspective) with sketchbooks filed to the brim with ideas related to it, and the massive uni-/multi-verse/realities all this lives within. I got insane scores, I even hit the highest mark my school has ever seen regarding senior projects with a 198/200 score (then again, much of it was also actual research and public speaking stuff). I mean, an old concept of making a total melting pot of ideas and refining it into my own breed made me come up with all sorts of crap. a decade of working with this basic concept, and I'm still churning out all sorts of crazy ideas. Hell, some of them makes the show Ancient Aliens on History Channel far more interesting. How? I had all sorts of ancient alien ideas of my own, even as far as ships made of stone similar to, let's say, a sky island (or island cluster) the size of Hawaii that can transcend time/space like a TARDIS. Yeah...

But that's just my way of doing things. I never actually produced it. Had too much fun coming up with ideas and finding ways to make some of them real, mostly because they just looked cool, or they were an interesting project to undertake. Hell, I even had some ideas formed of perpetual generators; and screw hyperspace travel, foldspace is far more reliable and definitely quicker. Hell, use quantum physics to your advantage, and you have neigh-indestructible shields, or co-exist a dimension above reality, and refract matter through you and not get hurt one bit, or a dimension below and be entirely intangible. Think ORZ. Do so, and you'll be a happy camper.

Mayhaps evolving some of my ideas to some realistic parameters has knocked a few screws loose, but it is rather entertaining watching Lost and Fringe and actually managing to think ahead of the shows and their audiences (namely my family members) and hear/see everyone's reactions. It's as if I experienced them before, or at least bore witnessed and pre-deconstructed them in a past or future life, that's how far I got into detail with my ideas. It got to the level of being second nature to me. Incidentally, I nicknamed the whole -verse I would've based my stories off of (or my "Head Space") as 'The Second Nature'. Rather fitting and flows out smoothly. Could be a source of some of my bizarre dreams as well.

Oh, and pardon the wall of text there.

Spoiler: EDIT: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EDIT EDIT: (click to show/hide)

IDEA:
If it's a subject you need to start, you can always use Translation Party.

SUB-NOTE:
Writing my stories for classes aside, I actually illustrate a majority of my past ideas and re-read via flashbacks. ... Don't look at me like that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:24:48 am by Itnetlolor »

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: April 21, 2010, 03:15:15 am »

Janet: Seems like you're experiencing the classic start-up writer's block. Here are a couple of ways to get around it:

Try free writing. The point isn't to have a legit start to a story, but something you can build off of, sort of like a make-your-own prompt. The way I do this is just by slapping a shit sentence down on the page, and turning it into a slightly ok paragraph, and then further writing whatever I think would work for the theme. Use this if you've got a touchy-feely sense of the work, but no definite direction, and you just need writing practice.

If you have an interesting story, and know the opening scene, then start with a word. "The" is my favorite. Then start sticking nouns, verbs, and adjectives in there so that you get the major image across in a single sentence. Then flesh out, and move the plot along.

Once you've got some stuff down on paper, don't let yourself end up with this again! Stop writing in the middle of a paragraph, when you still have more to tell. Make sure you've got the next scene idea before you start writing. And, above all, once you've started writing, don't stop if at all possible!

Since you're just starting writing, here's a little advice: You need experience. Pump out as much as you can, as fast as you can, and get absolutely merciless people to critique whatever you think is good.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: April 21, 2010, 03:22:54 am »

I love writing, but I can't seem to keep focused on one idea. I flit from them, one to the other, and get frustrated because I really like some of the ideas I make.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:50 am »

I was gonna post this in life advice but... Hey that's more the "Show everyone you're a social nutcase" board so I'm posting this here. Where I know people that might be able to chime in.

I've wanted to... Write for some time. Just... Write. Like story's or things. Novels maybe? I have the creative urge but not the willpower it seems. Basically... I can't make myself do anything. I just stare at my paper or monitor, all the ideas wiped from my head. It's like a block or something and it's starting to bother me as I really desperately need a way to express myself.

I think I need something to push me. Like Exercises or something like that. Or prompts. But as I always notice when it's time to do something about it... I don't know where to start!

So if anyone has any advice or something I'd feel really happy. Just anything.

hey cool, good luck in your endeavors.

I am no professional writer or anything but I find it helps a great deal to jot down in point form "what" happens. no to little detail at all, like reading a computer print out. As you do so you may think of things that happens in-between things you've already written down. Once you have a nice big chunk of this "computer print-out" you're ready to go. From there develop the little actions into a detailed story.

I find the only time I get anything written/typed down is when I follow that process. I find it very difficult to turn ideas directly into detailed story. Maybe my detailed writing and inspired ideas take up space on the same section of brain bandwidth? :P

Good luck Janet!
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: April 21, 2010, 09:46:43 am »

I love writing, but I can't seem to keep focused on one idea. I flit from them, one to the other, and get frustrated because I really like some of the ideas I make.
I've got a similar problem. I love programming, but I can never actually finish any of the big projects I start. I have resolved that I WILL finish the one I'm working on now, no matter how long it takes.(mainly due to procrastination)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 13326